Richt quote on why they didn't milk clock last drive

Advertisement
I don’t mind Richts reasoning but we could have ran that clock down below a minute if we snap at 2-3 seconds on the clock. We got a 1st down etc. there was zero chance of them having 3 minutes unless we ran hurry up and threw 3 straight incompletions.

If we waited the extra 15-20 seconds, the plays may not have been as successful. They were not only physically gassed, they ere mentally shot. It may have given then a chance to get their defense and alignments set. That's what I was thinking as I was watching it play out and the announcers crying that we snapped with 20 seconds left on the play clock.

Where was that killer instinct when he kicked the FG instead of trying to get 7 early?

It's called situational football.

Really? You're at home and it's early in the game. You are at the 1 yd line of the visiting team that you know you are better than. You just drove the ball down the field and in position to put an early 7 on them and you wimp out because of "situational football" at that point in the game? Whatever dude.

And also got shut down on the previous three attempts

If you can't punch it in from the one against Syracuse then you can rack any thought of beating VT or Clemson back on the shelf.

Lol okay

Just win baby

Where was that killer instinct when he kicked the FG instead of trying to get 7 early?

Really? You're at home and it's early in the game. You are at the 1 yd line of the visiting team that you know you are better than. You just drove the ball down the field and in position to put an early 7 on them and you wimp out because of "situational football" at that point in the game? Whatever dude.

And also got shut down on the previous three attempts

If you can't punch it in from the one against Syracuse then you can rack any thought of beating VT or Clemson back on the shelf.

Yet we just beat the team that beat Clemson.

Funny how that works

Advertisement
I would love to see some of that urgency in the other 50 to 55 minutes of the game.

In that situation, most of the time, you want to milk the clock a bit -- at least run it down past 20 or 25. I was screaming at the TV when I saw what we were doing. It obviously worked out well for us, though. Hearing Richt's answer gives me confidence that we finally have a coaching staff that thinks about things. They saw a situation that they could exploit (Syracuse's D being gassed and tired, making mental mistakes, and our O getting into a rhythm), and they took advantage of it. That's all I ask of a coaching staff -- that there's a logical reason for the things that they do, even if it doesn't seem like the correct decision in the moment.

I don't understand who the **** would think milking the clock was a good idea. Kick a FG or have to punt, against GT we had a penalty that force us to 4th down. You score. Let them drove the field and score a TD and a two point try. I was at the game and when Homer busted it I was like, it's done and their fans started heading for the exit as well. They knew.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
+1000000000 We've been begging for a coach with the killer instinct. Well there you have it.

If we failed to score their, on that last drive we would have been down by two instead of up one. You take all points early, frustration and all. Going for it means you have no confidence you can stop them.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

+1000000000 We've been begging for a coach with the killer instinct. Well there you have it.

Scoreboard.

We get stopped on 4th down and instead of up 20-19 when we scored the last TD, we’re behind 19-17.

Also, did you watch the whole game? It was either in the third or fourth quarter when we were the fourth down in their territory, and instead of going for about a 30 yard field goal, we went for it on fourth down and didn’t make it. Did you remember that one?

It’s called risk/reward. He made the right choices, as the scoreboard shows.

It was 0-0 from the 1. Chances are they get the yard and go up 7-0. Set the tone early at home. Syracuse walked away with a "win" on that one.

And we walked away undefeated.

On Hurricane Gameday..

"We gotta do what we think gives us the best chance of scoring points. And there are times when you will (inaudible). But a one point ball game, you know, that's like a tie, like being down by one, you know. And we gotta get the ball in the end zone and part of the reason Homer broke out on that play, I think, is because we were going with tempo. And they were having a little trouble lining up and a linebacker stick his nose in the wrong gap and bam. If you go slow motion, then all of a sudden you go three and out and it's like 'well why were you so conservative coach' . No, were trying to score baby. "
Correct mindset and approach. Richt with the sh*ts lol. He said fvck all of that conservative bullsh*t

Yeap, but really needs to practice that onside kick stuff before he pulls that one again.

You must have missed it. 1st and goal from the 2, he trusted the OL to get a push for 7 twice and then he trusted Richards to catch a slant. After the team broke his trust for three plays he took the field goal. Completely different than stopping a working offense from moving the ball to milk the clock.

Advertisement

If we couldn’t score in three plays from the 2, what gives you the confidence we would on fourth? The field goal gave us an early lead

Can’t believe this is even a topic of conversation still. Rick absolutely played it right. Worst case, it’s like a two for one in basketball. If there’s more time left on the game clock than the shot clock, you run up tempo and try to get a score knowing worst case opponent scores leaving you time on the clock. Strategy varies by situation of course, but it was the exact right strategy for the situation. Welcome to having a real coach, folks. Try to acclimate quickly.

Advertisement
I don’t mind Richts reasoning but we could have ran that clock down below a minute if we snap at 2-3 seconds on the clock. We got a 1st down etc. there was zero chance of them having 3 minutes unless we ran hurry up and threw 3 straight incompletions.

If we waited the extra 15-20 seconds, the plays may not have been as successful. They were not only physically gassed, they ere mentally shot. It may have given then a chance to get their defense and alignments set. That's what I was thinking as I was watching it play out and the announcers crying that we snapped with 20 seconds left on the play clock.

This. On the Homer TD, if you have a chance to review that play, the SU safety starts charging up to the line trying to anticipate the bubble screen. That left the middle of the field open and once TH get past the LOS. TD

Can’t believe this is even a topic of conversation still. Rick absolutely played it right. Worst case, it’s like a two for one in basketball. If there’s more time left on the game clock than the shot clock, you run up tempo and try to get a score knowing worst case opponent scores leaving you time on the clock. Strategy varies by situation of course, but it was the exact right strategy for the situation. Welcome to having a real coach, folks. Try to acclimate quickly.

Great analogy. Early in the last drive we could have easily gone 3 and out and given them the ball back with 2+ minutes on the clock and all of our timeouts. I wasn't confident we would get 5 first downs but I was confident we could hold them to a field goal and get the ball back with enough time to score. I liked preserving the option for a second possession by going uptempo early in the drive.

Advertisement
Back