Richt quote on why they didn't milk clock last drive

RyanCane26

Sophomore
On Hurricane Gameday..

"We gotta do what we think gives us the best chance of scoring points. And there are times when you will (inaudible). But a one point ball game, you know, that's like a tie, like being down by one, you know. And we gotta get the ball in the end zone and part of the reason Homer broke out on that play, I think, is because we were going with tempo. And they were having a little trouble lining up and a linebacker stick his nose in the wrong gap and bam. If you go slow motion, then all of a sudden you go three and out and it's like 'well why were you so conservative coach' . No, were trying to score baby. "

Advertisement
People saying to milk the clock in a one point win with 3 minutes left are morons

We are better up tempo
And if we failed we could have gotten a quick stop and gotten the ball back as opposed to conservatively kicking the ball off and letting them get a field goal drive with a minute and a half left

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Asked this question right after the game and can't say I'm disappointed in the answer.

Advertisement
I didn’t think there was an answer he could give that would make me think it was the right decision. Boy was I wrong.

On Hurricane Gameday..

"We gotta do what we think gives us the best chance of scoring points. And there are times when you will (inaudible). But a one point ball game, you know, that's like a tie, like being down by one, you know. And we gotta get the ball in the end zone and part of the reason Homer broke out on that play, I think, is because we were going with tempo. And they were having a little trouble lining up and a linebacker stick his nose in the wrong gap and bam. If you go slow motion, then all of a sudden you go three and out and it's like 'well why were you so conservative coach' . No, were trying to score baby. "
Correct mindset and approach. Richt with the sh*ts lol. He said fvck all of that conservative bullsh*t

Advertisement
Milking the clock made no sense. Syracuse can score in a matter of seconds. Totally useless to change your offense to run off clock in that situation.

Saw that too. After the fact, it's what I was thinking they were doing. They milked it against WVU in the bowl game, but this was not the team to do that against, and the Syracuse defense was probably getting tired too, so it was better to keep the pressure on them.

Plenty posters said this in another thread after the game. Why milk the clock and disturb the rhythm of the off ? We were clicking. I didn’t have an issue with him not milking it. That’s that Bobby Bowden ish lol, the secret is to win lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
On Hurricane Gameday..

This is what I thought his reasoning would be . Some of our fans should think before they type

Killer instinct is what is making this team great. We either play to win or we relive Golden years where we park the bus in the 3rd Q and watch the lead slowly slip away.

Everyone is playing the result. If we went three and out (which happens ALL THE TIME on our "up-tempo") and left 3 minutes for them to drive and score we would all be screaming for heads to roll.

Scoring and running the clock down are not mutually exclusive. If the concern was allowing them time to set on the line then start lining up with 10 seconds and hike at 5. Not line up at 28 and hike at 23.

With 3 first downs and milking the clock the game is over. Period. We gambled and it worked. Might not be as lucky next time. I hope if we are in the situation again we can find a better balance between running out the clock and moving the ball.

Advertisement
Back