Richt, QBs update position battle

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami quarterbacks Evan Shirreffs and Malik Rosier both spoke to the media today after practice as well as Mark Richt.

Richt had positive reviews for Shirreffs' play in the first week of camp.

"He's a machine in how he operates. His ball handling is pristine -- he's going to the right people for the right reasons, he's got energy, he's got leadership. He's having a good camp," Richt said.

The perceived downfall of Shirreffs' game is his lack of top notch arm strength, but Richt is not concerned with that.

"Oh, his arm's strong enough. For everybody it's a matter of accuracy and consistency with your accuracy. Good decisions, good accuracy, and can you handle the pressure of the job -- we'll find that out when we get closer.

Shirreffs himself dished on the situation at QB right now.

"Cade and N'Kosi are really getting in the playbook. N'Kosi is doing a good job picking everything up and Malik is doing what he's always done. We're all just trying to be consistent and push each other," Shirreffs said.

Shirreffs added that he believes much more in his arm strength now compared to when he first stepped on campus, due to his 25 pounds of added weight.

Rosier remains a contender for the starting position and he spoke about what winning the job would mean to him.

"I have that one start under my belt so I know what it feels like, but it's technically my junior year even though I've been here for a while. I was with a lot of guys that graduated or are about to graduate to leave, so I'm just trying to compete and get where they are," Rosier said of his urgency to compete and win the starting job.

Rosier is also the only quarterback in the race with a collegiate start under their belt. That came of course against Duke in 2015, which resulted in a Canes win. Rosier explained how his approach to the game has changed since that redshirt freshman season.

"The biggest difference for me is how I watch film. Before Duke, I really didn't watch film -- I kinda just came out to practice and did what they told me. But now I'll be with the coach watching film, I'll be in treatment watching it, at home watching it. I've already looked at Arkansas State and Notre Dame and trying to see teams we will be playing ahead of time," he added.

Advertisement
"The biggest difference for me is how I watch film. Before Duke, I really didn't watch film -- I kinda just came out to practice and did what they told me. But now I'll be with the coach watching film, I'll be in treatment watching it, at home watching it. I've already looked at Arkansas State and Notre Dame and trying to see teams we will be playing ahead of time," he added.

WTF? who were the coaches? how can this happen at a D1 school?

¿donde esta el cubanito?

If you know what to listen for, CMR will tell you what he wants, and also when he's found it.

"He's a machine in how he operates. His ball handling is pristine -- he's going to the right people for the right reasons, he's got energy, he's got leadership. He's having a good camp," Richt said.

Shirreffs still has to put it all together in a live action situation, but those things Richt just laid out are the things he looks for in a QB.

¿donde esta el cubanito?

Alarming. Explain so much about the program and its results. I guess the thought he might actually have to play didn't cross his mind. No wonder his being pushed by a "walk on" and true freshmans.

Advertisement
Shirreffs is a great practice player. I'm hoping it translates to game situations because it hasn't yet. Broke is a pristine ball handler too, but he can't play QB for ****.

"Malik is doing what he's always done" Underwhelm the coaches?

¿donde esta el cubanito?

Alarming. Explain so much about the program and its results. I guess the thought he might actually have to play didn't cross his mind. No wonder his being pushed by a "walk on" and true freshmans.
I don't fully blame him. You had coaches that anointed kaaya and weren't going to give the starting job to anyone else. I can see where a kid gets down on the situation and goes through the motions. It's the coaches job to make sure a fire is lit for both the starter and the backup to a certain degree. There has to be self motivation but in this scenario I understand why that may have been lacking on rosiers part

Last edited:
Advertisement

¿donde esta el cubanito?

1780549-shakehead.gif

Didn't watch film..... A QB..... Didn't watch film??? Please get him off my team

¿donde esta el cubanito?

I don't fully blame him. You had coaches that anointed kaaya and weren't going to give the starting job to anyone else. I can see where a kid gets down on the situation and goes through the motions. It's the coaches job to make sure a fire is lit for both the starter and the backup to a certain degree. There has to be self motivation but in this scenario I understand why that may have been lacking on rosiers part

You're one snap away from being the starter. So that **** holds no water. Backups need to prepare like they are starters. Ask Billy Joe Hobert.

Advertisement
Advertisement

¿donde esta el cubanito?

You're one snap away from being the starter. So that **** holds no water. Backups need to prepare like they are starters. Ask Billy Joe Hobert.

Lyndon B. Johnson approves of this message.

This is puzzling to say the least. This is clearly someone who doesn't want it. If I'm a HS QB. My goal is to play and be ready to play even if I'm not the starter. I have to prepare like the starter watch film like a starter and know plays like the starter. Every single rep is competition and the opportunity to prove myself. I would walk into college with the mindset that I will start and if I'm Rosier. I would know that if Brad went down or he turned pro that I still would want to take the job and run away with it like Dak did Romo. Like Brady did for Bledsoe. I'm taking that s*** and running with it and even when Brad comes back from injury there will no be a "QB Competition again"

Not just be like "Oh well I'm not the guy so ***** it. I'm just going to show up." That's the attitude of losers and people who don't really want it. These kind of people make for good employees. I've been highly successful as a business owner because I don't just show up. My days are long but hey the wife and I make this **** work. Your most successful people in life, in sports, in music, in business want it! Not half *** some s***. You have to study the greats and want to be great.

P.S.

Sorry for the rant y'all I just hate meeting people who BS or half *** their way through life. This quote speaks volumes about Malik and the Golden players mentality. Not everybody is a self-starter or a go getter though.

Now, does he let the QB's get hit in one of the scrimmages? I could see them at least getting hit, but not taken to the ground. If he doesn't, they at least have the glorified scrimmage against BCC.

Evan Shireffs is definitely making a name for himself as a greentree all american... the scrimmages is what Richt wants to see. I think he knows Evans choked big time in last years scrimmage so how he performs under real pressure is what will decide who starts going into the season.

Advertisement
Back