Richt play calling

Trescerocinco

Retired staff
Premium
I have noticed on this board that one of the main things that people constantly want to see is improvement from richt in terms of play calling. I am wondering what specific adjustments and changes you guys are hoping to see this season?

Advertisement
I have noticed on this board that one of the main things that people constantly want to see is improvement from richt in terms of play calling. I am wondering what specific adjustments and changes you guys are hoping to see this season?

My biggest question of the off season by far but those in the know don't want to leak anything about the changes or lack thereof for obvious reasons.

Avoiding the power I, and trying to get the wideouts with tbe ball in their hands in rhythm and on time. When that happened our rbs had a lot more success on the power wraps he used to run at UGA, especially later on in the game. I anticipate wideouts having a lot more splash plays of the YAC variety like Richards did last year.

For starters, not running the ball between the tackles 3 times in a row...Opening up the playbook earlier and featuring key matchups each week based on the opponent. I think play calling improves drastically just based on the fact that the human statue is in the league and someone else more mobile will be taking snaps at QB.

For starters, not running the ball between the tackles 3 times in a row...Opening up the playbook earlier and featuring key matchups each week based on the opponent. I think play calling improves drastically just based on the fact that the human statue is in the league and someone else more mobile will be taking snaps at QB.

I agree, Brad limited our playbook and the O-Line was no help either

Advertisement

Mobility doesn't mean much if you lack accuracy. Everybody seems to be assuming that once you've evaded the rush the actual pass is cake, I'm not so sure.

As for the OPs question, I'm looking to see if Richt is calling plays that work with the guys he's actually got or with one's he wishes he had.

not so much the plays called, but the tempo, rhythm, and execution. I want the offense to have a QB that understands how to get these things going and keep the chains moving.

Advertisement
Another year of familiarity, and confidence in our players talents, strengths, and weaknesses, (and a Mobil QB) ,.. Along with shaking off the rust of being a playcaller, I think we get a major improvement in play calling. JMO

Advertisement
1. The complete waste of time of having Kaaya zone read but never (maybe once) keep it. Just blew my mind that we would continue to run a play that didn't fit our personel/ actually utilizing an important aspect of the play. What's the point?

2. Lack of motion.

Last year, we heard a lot about the shallow-cross and saw very little to none of it. With guys like Berrios, Dallas, Harley & Thomas in the slot I would think personnel wouldn't be an issue. Maybe Richt thinks it's a thing of the past and prefers RPO as his base. I want to see it because it can be run using multiple formations and the skill we have stock piled at WR.

Go Canes!

I want to see less running on obvious "running downs" and into unfavorable situations (loaded boxes). I want to see more slants and attacking of the center of the field.

Those were the major issues I saw during the 4 game losing streak that just drove me ******* nuts. Conservative play calling, predictable play calling, and not using the entire field in the passing game /route trees.

All of this HAS to improve. The man wants to call plays AND be a head coach....and he's getting paid a TON of money by UM standards. The time is now.

Advertisement
Richt just didnt know what he was truly working with until late in the season. You cant call the best plays and put your players in the best position if youre not 100% aware of what theyre capable of. WE have seen Richt run a variety of different offenses in his career so lets not get carried away in criticism acting like we know more or he forgot how to coach.

Motion is over rated, imo. If we start running more uptempo then you can definitely forget about all that motion crap.

Running the football is a mindset, its about toughness and physicality. Something you have to keep grinding/forcing out of your team and stay consistent no matter what.

Physical running teams arent built over one off season or just recruiting alone.

They all start out as 3 yards and a cloud of dust before theyre dominating.

We will be that much better at running the ball because of Richts consistency.

Again, now that Richt has a better grasp of his players capabilities, mentally & physically, i fully expect a more efficient offense.

Some of yall criticize way too hard and ignore the circumstances.

No offensive coach in football wouldve done better unless they had a dual threat qb.

Which is a career saver for any coach

Last year, we heard a lot about the shallow-cross and saw very little to none of it. With guys like Berrios, Dallas, Harley & Thomas in the slot I would think personnel wouldn't be an issue. Maybe Richt thinks it's a thing of the past and prefers RPO as his base. I want to see it because it can be run using multiple formations and the skill we have stock piled at WR.

Go Canes!

More like he didnt trust Kaaya to run that system because of rhe way he sailed passes.

Shallow cross has a lot of route combos that attack the middle of the field.

Where kaaya would've thrown plenty of pics with his nervous and errant throws.

Advertisement
Back