Richt play calling

People can blame Kaaya all they want, but our 4 game losing streak last season was on Richt and his vanilla play calling. Never seen someone continue to go back to the same failed plays every time. To his credit, he figured it out by the end of the year but his stubbornness mid season was (and still is) concerning to me.

It was a combination of both imo

Advertisement
Seems I'm in the minority, but I thought the play calling really improved during our 5 game winning streak, which was after the losing streak so I'm not sure why this is so frequently harped on. As if you don't anticipate it will continue. I like to think a veteran coach like Coach Richt has learned from mistakes he's made and won't revert to them. Don't be surprised if he's not just airing it out though until he's comfortable with who's behind center.

Last year, we heard a lot about the shallow-cross and saw very little to none of it. With guys like Berrios, Dallas, Harley & Thomas in the slot I would think personnel wouldn't be an issue. Maybe Richt thinks it's a thing of the past and prefers RPO as his base. I want to see it because it can be run using multiple formations and the skill we have stock piled at WR.

Go Canes!

More like he didnt trust Kaaya to run that system because of rhe way he sailed passes.

Shallow cross has a lot of route combos that attack the middle of the field.

Where kaaya would've thrown plenty of pics with his nervous and errant throws.

I can believe that, as Kaaya's misses were high in general. I still think our current personnel makes it more dangerous as a concept.

Go Canes!

Would like to see zero 12 personnel, and zero 21 personnel. And some WR motion.

Advertisement
I think people are overthinking the play calling last year.

The pass defenses we played in October were good, the pass defenses we played from November were pretty bad.

It wasn't like Kaaya got better or Richt's play calling got better. The defenses just got worse, so the same plays worked better. Sometimes it's just that simple.

The pass defenses we played in October were good, the pass defenses we played from November were pretty bad.

It wasn't like Kaaya got better or Richt's play calling got better. The defenses just got worse, so the same plays worked better. Sometimes it's just that simple.

There was a clear shift in play calling starting with the Pitt game.

UNC and Notre Dame defenses were dog **** and we couldn't do a thing against them.

With the speed and athleticism he has brought in at WR, I expect to see us consistently test all levels of the defense more consistently. He said he was concerned about the lack of top end speed at the WR position, initially, and now we have it.

We also lack strong depth @ RB as of now, so I don't think Walton can touch the ball 30X a game either.

Advertisement
Richt adjusted to his personnel once he realized who had that dawg in him on gameday. Had to have a few gamedays to see that. So dont tell me he got here in fall practice like it means something when evaluating a team in a game setting.

No he didn't.

Even in the West Virginia game, you watch again the first and second half - it wasn't pretty.

But late in the second, a small flip out to Richards - who took it all the way across the field and into the end zone - lighted the offense AND defense up.

I got so tired of getting stuffed three runs up a stacked middle and punting, or getting stuffed two times and obviously having to pass it made me sick.

Somewhere on here, I made the point that it's true the run opens up the passing game, but that the inverse is also true. Why in the Wide, Wide, World of Sports Richt couldn't figure that out during our four loss streak - astounds me.

Are you a Richt?
This guy gets it. The play calling in the bowl game was straight up trash until Richards took it to the house in the 2nd Quarter. Then Richt finally adjusted and realized he just needed to get the ball to his playmakers. He is way to stubborn about forcing a running game when it isn't there. If "slinging the ball around" puts points on the board, then by all means sling away.

There was a clear shift in play calling starting with the Pitt game.

UNC and Notre Dame defenses were dog **** and we couldn't do a thing against them.

October Opponents ranking vs. the pass

GT - 68
FSU - 57
UNC - 12
VT - 26
ND - 21

Kaaya averaged 258 yds/game, with 6 TD & 3 INT

Rest of the Season

Pitt - 127
UVA - 103
NC St. - 82
Duke - 78
WVU - 104

Kaaya averaged 310 yds/game, with 14 TD & 1 INT

I'm not saying Richt's adjustments, or better OL play or, or whatever didn't play a factor - I just think how much is overstated.

As the teams/defenses got worse, the offense/stats got better. I don't think the light went on in Kaaya's play or Richt's play calling.

I'd like to see Miami run more Inside Zone Read
3 WR 1 TE

Judging by our depth Chart only
Richards
Berrios
Harris

I think we can implement that with the RPO game to become very effective with the QB reading the LB or safety.

There was a noticeable shift in playcalling from the second half of ND through the bowl game, though some early seasons habits did show their ugly head early in the bowl game.

Advertisement

There was a noticeable shift in playcalling from the second half of ND through the bowl game, though some early seasons habits did show their ugly head early in the bowl game.

We started running more quick hitting pass plays. Swing passes to the slot WR, hitch passes to the outside WRs. And we would keep them honest by hitting the TEs down the seam or taking a shot deep to a WR here and there. That was almost exclusively out of shotgun, and it did a good job of opening up the run for Walton and the other guys.

Kaaya looked really good towards the end of the year. He was in rhythm for a month. He had a tendency to hold the ball too long, but he was making some progressions and finding open guys. Maybe he just wasn't suited to make quick decisions based on the conflict defender in the RPO? Even though its only a split second, its a split second his eyes couldn't be down the field, where he wanted them.

None of this was from a light clicking on in Brad's head. It was a change in the play calling that maximized Brad's talent (keep him upright and clean, and he can make all the throws), and the WR/TE talent (just get them the cot **** ball in space). IMO, the 4 game skid was more on Richt than Kaaya or anyone else.

We will see what that means for this year's squad, as we don't really know the particular skillsets (and possibly more importantly, the limitations) that the QBs have. But the hope is that Richt is not too rigid on what he wants to run, and adapts to the skills of the players he has.

We started running more quick hitting pass plays. Swing passes to the slot WR, hitch passes to the outside WRs. And we would keep them honest by hitting the TEs down the seam or taking a shot deep to a WR here and there. That was almost exclusively out of shotgun, and it did a good job of opening up the run for Walton and the other guys.

Kaaya looked really good towards the end of the year. He was in rhythm for a month. He had a tendency to hold the ball too long, but he was making some progressions and finding open guys. Maybe he just wasn't suited to make quick decisions based on the conflict defender in the RPO? Even though its only a split second, its a split second his eyes couldn't be down the field, where he wanted them.

None of this was from a light clicking on in Brad's head. It was a change in the play calling that maximized Brad's talent (keep him upright and clean, and he can make all the throws), and the WR/TE talent (just get them the cot **** ball in space). IMO, the 4 game skid was more on Richt than Kaaya or anyone else.

We will see what that means for this year's squad, as we don't really know the particular skillsets (and possibly more importantly, the limitations) that the QBs have. But the hope is that Richt is not too rigid on what he wants to run, and adapts to the skills of the players he has.

Agree, if you look at just the TE usage vs. FSU alone then compare it to the last 5 games, it was night and day.

The biggest difference between games in Oct and Nov of last year was the OL play.
The OL play in Oct, reminded me of the ones that Frank Costa played behind in the Orange Bowl. He was lucky to get out of those games alive!!!

Advertisement
The biggest difference between games in Oct and Nov of last year was the OL play.
The OL play in Oct, reminded me of the ones that Frank Costa played behind in the Orange Bowl. He was lucky to get out of those games alive!!!

I'm not good enough with Xs and Os to seriously contribute to schematic debates, but does the OL not run block in the RPO offense? And aren't all our OL better pass blockers?

If so, on Richt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a lot of forcing square pegs into round holes last year on offense and it ****ed me off because that's exactly what Golden and D'Onofrio were doing on defense the last 5 years. If the offensive line struggles to run block, don't line up in the I and run it straight into a 9 man front on first and second down. If your quarterback struggles making rpo reads, scale them back and use what he does well more often. There was a significant shift in offensive philosophy during the Notre Dame game that carried over through the rest of the season. Unfortunately Notre Dame was already up 20-0 before the offense woke up so it cost them that game.

Every coach has his system that requires a certain type of player to execute it. In Richt's first year, he obviously didn't have the players he needed to run what he wanted to run. Instead of trying to force it, he should have been able to make adjustments earlier in the season. He didn't and it cost them victories against FSU and UNC.

Richt adjusted to his personnel once he realized who had that dawg in him on gameday. Had to have a few gamedays to see that. So dont tell me he got here in fall practice like it means something when evaluating a team in a game setting.

No he didn't.

Even in the West Virginia game, you watch again the first and second half - it wasn't pretty.

But late in the second, a small flip out to Richards - who took it all the way across the field and into the end zone - lighted the offense AND defense up.

I got so tired of getting stuffed three runs up a stacked middle and punting, or getting stuffed two times and obviously having to pass it made me sick.

Somewhere on here, I made the point that it's true the run opens up the passing game, but that the inverse is also true. Why in the Wide, Wide, World of Sports Richt couldn't figure that out during our four loss streak - astounds me.

Are you a Richt?

I see it different. I see a lack of trust in your Signal Caller.

This man literally drove down the field and through a pick against FSU when we had them tail tucked. Ruined the game.

There is no way you could watch that man miss easy *** throws all year long and 100% lay it on Richt to trust him.

Kaaya needed the ball to be pounded to open up the passing lanes because he wasn't good enough to throw the run open.

Advertisement
Back