Richt play calling

Kaaya seemed to frequently misread the defense on the RPO. He made some great reads that turned into great plays (the hitch to Richards against WVU comes to mind), but I have flashbacks of him handing the ball to Walton when the box was clearly stacked. I think he got antsy and wanted to make the rock someone else's problem.

Advertisement
I want to see less running on obvious "running downs" and into unfavorable situations (loaded boxes). I want to see more slants and attacking of the center of the field.

Those were the major issues I saw during the 4 game losing streak that just drove me ******* nuts. Conservative play calling, predictable play calling, and not using the entire field in the passing game /route trees.

All of this HAS to improve. The man wants to call plays AND be a head coach....and he's getting paid a TON of money by UM standards. The time is now.

This. So many of Richt's passing plays sent our WRs unnecessarily deep and took forever to develop. When we were in second or third and long situations, I had to watch through my beer bottle because our receivers were going to outdistance the first down marker and then the pocket was going to collapse and then oh, look, time to punt.

I want to see less running on obvious "running downs" and into unfavorable situations (loaded boxes). I want to see more slants and attacking of the center of the field.

Those were the major issues I saw during the 4 game losing streak that just drove me ****ing nuts. Conservative play calling, predictable play calling, and not using the entire field in the passing game /route trees.

All of this HAS to improve. The man wants to call plays AND be a head coach....and he's getting paid a TON of money by UM standards. The time is now.

True, also more pre snap motions too

Kaaya seemed to frequently misread the defense on the RPO. He made some great reads that turned into great plays (the hitch to Richards against WVU comes to mind), but I have flashbacks of him handing the ball to Walton when the box was clearly stacked. I think he got antsy and wanted to make the rock someone else's problem.

Look at the play at 1:30 vs va tech where kaaya pulls it only to get sacked when he should have handed the ball off to Walton. That was going to be a big time run play. Sometimes he did miscalculate the rpo. I'm a big kaaya fan but it is what it is
https://youtu.be/dpiPJwq2tuo

Last edited:
[MENTION=458]Jedi Master Cane[/MENTION] , look man. I really got no gripe with you and i respect your opinion but we will have to agree to disagree. Your criticism is warranted but way to harsh. Just know, if youre wrong about Richt, which his reputation clearly shows you are, ill eat any crow you serve with a smile.

God knows as hard as youve been on Richt im going to make you want to delete your account im going to troll you so hard.

I expect the same from you.

Its almost as if you WANT him to fuq up the way you ignore the circumstances.
But hey, maybe youre a man of results and dont want any excuses. I respect that too.

Dont neg my posts like my points arent valid tho.

Advertisement
Richt just didnt know what he was truly working with until late in the season. You cant call the best plays and put your players in the best position if youre not 100% aware of what theyre capable of. WE have seen Richt run a variety of different offenses in his career so lets not get carried away in criticism acting like we know more or he forgot how to coach.

Motion is over rated, imo. If we start running more uptempo then you can definitely forget about all that motion crap.

Running the football is a mindset, its about toughness and physicality. Something you have to keep grinding/forcing out of your team and stay consistent no matter what.

Physical running teams arent built over one off season or just recruiting alone.

They all start out as 3 yards and a cloud of dust before theyre dominating.

We will be that much better at running the ball because of Richts consistency.

Again, now that Richt has a better grasp of his players capabilities, mentally & physically, i fully expect a more efficient offense.

Some of yall criticize way too hard and ignore the circumstances.

No offensive coach in football wouldve done better unless they had a dual threat qb.

Which is a career saver for any coach

Richt got here before the bowl game in '15. He was in the booth during the broadcast.

He had spring and fall practices to evaluate. To say he didn't know what he had is making up excuses.

He adjusted to the personnel at the end of the year, and we looked like a totally different team. That it took that long is on Richt and no one else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For starters, not running the ball between the tackles 3 times in a row...Opening up the playbook earlier and featuring key matchups each week based on the opponent. I think play calling improves drastically just based on the fact that the human statue is in the league and someone else more mobile will be taking snaps at QB.

Mobility doesn't mean much if you lack accuracy. Everybody seems to be assuming that once you've evaded the rush the actual pass is cake, I'm not so sure.

As for the OPs question, I'm looking to see if Richt is calling plays that work with the guys he's actually got or with one's he wishes he had.

Solid point. I re-watched the Duke game from 15' the other day just to watch Rosier go to work. It appeared that most of his yardage was Yac based on first read screen passes, tunnel screens, and quick outs. He did have some money throws down the field and some nice and accurate passes on roll outs. I think if Rosier gets the nod game 1 going forward, he can be a nice game manager with wheels as long as he plays within the scheme.

[MENTION=458]Jedi Master Cane[/MENTION] , look man. I really got no gripe with you and i respect your opinion but we will have to agree to disagree. Your criticism is warranted but way to harsh. Just know, if youre wrong about Richt, which his reputation clearly shows you are, ill eat any crow you serve with a smile.

God knows as hard as youve been on Richt im going to make you want to delete your account im going to troll you so hard.

But hey, maybe youre a man of results and dont want any excuses. I respect that too.

You've got issues. A ton of them. Block me if you don't like what I have to say.

Richt just didnt know what he was truly working with until late in the season. You cant call the best plays and put your players in the best position if youre not 100% aware of what theyre capable of. WE have seen Richt run a variety of different offenses in his career so lets not get carried away in criticism acting like we know more or he forgot how to coach.

Motion is over rated, imo. If we start running more uptempo then you can definitely forget about all that motion crap.

Running the football is a mindset, its about toughness and physicality. Something you have to keep grinding/forcing out of your team and stay consistent no matter what.

Physical running teams arent built over one off season or just recruiting alone.

Again, now that Richt has a better grasp of his players capabilities, mentally & physically, i fully expect a more efficient offense.

No offensive coach in football wouldve done better unless they had a dual threat qb.

Richt got here before the bowl game in '15. He was in the booth during the broadcast.

He had spring and fall practices to evaluate. To say he didn't know what he had is making up excuses.

He adjusted to the personnel at the end of the year, and we looked like a totally different team. That it took that long is on Richt and no one else.

Man stop it. He got here and had to hit the ground running recruiting, networking, and building his brand.

Greentree is not gametime. Why do you think he had more live practices this year? He obviously learned the difference between who performs when the lights are on as oppossed to the greentree all stars.

You can have all the practices you want but that aint going to tell you how your men will respond in the clutch against a hungry opponent.

It takes time and experience, period.

Itd be more of an excuse if you had evidence that all good coaches have great seasons their first year on the job.

I can assure you that the evidence/history is in my favor on proving that most coaches dont do shid their first year
Especially playcallers inheriting a shellshocked inaccurate, QB.

Show me proof of at least 10 coaches doing it. With all of the history in cfb it should be easy. Dont worry ill wait

Advertisement
Richt adjusted to his personnel once he realized who had that dawg in him on gameday. Had to have a few gamedays to see that. So dont tell me he got here in fall practice like it means something when evaluating a team in a game setting.

Man stop it. He got here and had to hit the ground running recruiting, networking, and building his brand.

Greentree is not gametime. Why do you think he had more live practices this year? He obviously learned the difference between who performs when the lights are on as oppossed to the greentree all stars.

You can have all the practices you want but that aint going to tell you how your men will respond in the clutch against a hungry opponent.

Itd be more of an excuse if you had evidence that all good coaches have great seasons their first year on the job.

I can assure you that the evidence/history is in my favor on proving that most coaches dont do shid their first year

Show me proof of at least 10 coaches doing it. With all of the history in cfb it should be easy. Dont worry ill wait

Kaaya started for 2 seasons before CMR got here. If there is any player he should have been able to evaluate, it was BK.

You're now changing your argument to say first year coaches don't produce at the same level as established coaches. That has nothing to do with evaluating your team and, as this thread is meant to discuss, calling proper plays that fit with the personnel. He did not do that during the 4 game losing streak.

He ran RPO with Kaaya. I don't know how you can defend that with a straight face.

You've got issues. A ton of them. Block me if you don't like what I have to say.

I just said i respect your opinion. I actually enjoy a lot of your post while you downvote most of mine. So, IF YOU dont like what i have to say then block ME.

issues? A ton of them? What in the fuq does that even mean in relation to this?

You stay debating or neggin me on this like its your personnel vendetta to prove Richt shouldnt call plays. Its you with the issues

Kaaya started for 2 seasons before CMR got here. If there is any player he should have been able to evaluate, it was BK.

You're now changing your argument to say first year coaches don't produce at the same level as established coaches. That has nothing to do with evaluating your team and, as this thread is meant to discuss, calling proper plays that fit with the personnel. He did not do that during the 4 game losing streak.

He ran RPO with Kaaya. I don't know how you can defend that with a straight face.

What does Kaayas abilities in Coleys system have to do with Richt and what he expects? When did Richt have time to go watch all of kaayas film when he has an entire offense to evaluate. He gave everyone a clean slate to prove themselves. Kaaya proved to be a greentree all-star.

If you want ro blame Richt for trusting Kaaya then i got no debate.

This debate isnt new. We have had it as nauseam. My stance has been the same since day 1. I haven't changed my argument im adding more points to it.

How does not being acclimated and having a short amount of time to evaluate your team have nothing to do with proper playcalling and personnel groupings? Did you seriously type that?

Go sit in the corner
Youre embarassing yourself. Youre not smart enough to criticize Richt.

What about Kaayas physical abilities says he cant run the Rpo?

Or are you yet another dunce confusing the Rpo with the zone read/option?

This debate is over. Youre clueless as fuq.

Just read an shut up. Richt said himself, when asked " what clicked for you after the four game skid?" Richts answer, " well, me and the coaches got to know the boys a little better"

It doesnt get much more blatant than that.

Its common for most coaches to struggle with a team full of kids they dont know or didnt recruit. Takes more than one offseason to do that and the proof is in history.

This is really a dumb debate for you

Advertisement

Man, i watched this imbecile look at FSU have more defenders on the perimeter thsn us and still chose the pass option and handed fsu a tackle for loss. People are really blamimg Richt for this ineptitude.

If you cant recognize a 4 on 2 mismatch then what the fuq can i trust you with?

But its Richts fault that Kaaya was shell shocked and nervous?

Gtfoh with that bullshid. These same critics of Richt are the same azzhats that wanted to give Donofrio more time to ruin the defense and blsmed the players.

Cant trust these evaluations.

Not taking whole halves to figure out what the D is doing, and by the time He figures it out, game over...ala the VT & ND games.

Not thinking what works against scrub opponents like App St., will work against FSU... IE that naked bootleg where Kaaya got a concussion.

And please no more 4-Verts vs max blitz.

Richt adjusted to his personnel once he realized who had that dawg in him on gameday. Had to have a few gamedays to see that. So dont tell me he got here in fall practice like it means something when evaluating a team in a game setting.

No he didn't.

Even in the West Virginia game, you watch again the first and second half - it wasn't pretty.

But late in the second, a small flip out to Richards - who took it all the way across the field and into the end zone - lighted the offense AND defense up.

I got so tired of getting stuffed three runs up a stacked middle and punting, or getting stuffed two times and obviously having to pass it made me sick.

Somewhere on here, I made the point that it's true the run opens up the passing game, but that the inverse is also true. Why in the Wide, Wide, World of Sports Richt couldn't figure that out during our four loss streak - astounds me.

Are you a Richt?

Advertisement
I was to see more variation. Less shotgun. Obviously you try to use your strengths against the other teams weaknesses, just like the Patriots do. Change the game plan each weak to exploit your advantages. Last season it seemed when the team lined up I could (so I am sure the other team could) tell exactly what play was being ran. Need to mix it up a lot more. With all that being said, I want to run more slants, posts, seam routes, and RB screens. Utilize the middle of the field which would in turn open up the running game. Of course all this is dependent on the OL performing better as they did down the stretch last season.

People can blame Kaaya all they want, but our 4 game losing streak last season was on Richt and his vanilla play calling. Never seen someone continue to go back to the same failed plays every time. To his credit, he figured it out by the end of the year but his stubbornness mid season was (and still is) concerning to me.

No he didn't.

Even in the West Virginia game, you watch again the first and second half - it wasn't pretty.

But late in the second, a small flip out to Richards - who took it all the way across the field and into the end zone - lighted the offense AND defense up.

I got so tired of getting stuffed three runs up a stacked middle and punting, or getting stuffed two times and obviously having to pass it made me sick.

Somewhere on here, I made the point that it's true the run opens up the passing game, but that the inverse is also true. Why in the Wide, Wide, World of Sports Richt couldn't figure that out during our four loss streak - astounds me.

Are you a Richt?

Advertisement
Back