Richt on WQAM 4/22/16

MessiahChild

Redshirt Freshman
Audio « CBS Miami

-Coaches will hit the recruiting trail on Monday. They are only allowed to be in each school twice.

-He mentions that Spring Game can have effect on depth chart but a lot of things can happen between now and the fall. Every kid learns at a different pace, but everybody should figure it out sooner or later.

-He really enjoyed coaching QBs and calling the offense. He talks about Brad being very smart and teachable. He noticed a difference in terms of how the plays were run in the cut-ups from the first day of practice compared to the 15th day of practice.

-Gives credit to the last staff for recruiting the freshman LB’s and the LB’s being able to be mid-year enrollees.

-He is pleased with the RB group. He gives Coach Brown credit for teaching them and further developing them. Specifically mentions that some have better ball skills then others. They all are learning blitz pickup and that it would definitely be running back by committee. He doesn’t know if 4 RB will all get carries but it will more than likely be 2 or 3 getting carries most of the time.

-They are thin at WR and DB. He talks about the OL. “It is one thing to have numbers, but it is another thing to have guys that you think you can put in the game”. He don’t know if they have just a boatload of OL, but if they stay healthy they should be okay. The positions with the most depth is DT and LB. The DB, WR, OL depth hopefully should come in the next class or two.

-He was very excited/surprised about the alumni event the Friday night before Spring Game. They said it was the largest alumni event. He really didn’t go to alumni functions/wasn’t invited because he left Miami so quick to go FSU and then Georgia.

-The banning of satellite camps was great for Miami. He feels that everybody should have camps on their own campus. He also feel that it is good because you can wear your staff out attending all these events. He also feel that the Group of Five conferences should be able to attend the Power 5 conferences camps to balance the rule.

-It is different then 10 years ago in terms protecting your own turf in recruiting. He talks about 150-200 kids in the tri-county that are D1 football players, however Miami only has space for 20-25 at the most. Miami has to make sure to get the right 20-25 because it is impossible to get them all. Staff needs to do a good job of identifying who they want and loving them up. Letting the kids know every dream that they have can be achieved at Miami.

-Coaching staff spends massive amount of time accumulating and analyzing film from prospects all over the country to developed the big board. Coaches will see everybody in the state but they have to cherry-picked when they go out of state. The recruiting department sets up the film and kinda of tees it up for the coaches to study it, make decisions on kids, then the they can go out on the road and closed the kid.

-Talks a lot about the Mark Richt football camp. On June 9th, 10th and 11th as well as the 16th, 17th, and 18th the high school coaches will bring their kids in for 7-7 (Not all star teams, but their own teams). They will also bring their OL and DL to the camps as well. There is a kicking camp on the 12th and the 19th. Brandon Kornblue will run one of them and Chris Sailer will run the other camp. Also on the 20th of June, they will have a camp for rising 7th/8th graders. On 21st, they will have a camp for rising 9th/10th graders. On the 22nd, they will have a camp for rising 11th graders. On the 23rd, they will have a camp for the rising seniors. They are doing the camps by age groups to see how kids match-up with each other. They will also have another 3 day camp for prospects in any grade level from June 13th-15th.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I like the part about our RBs. People around here complain a little that we don't have a Heisman contending RB, but we have 3 guys that could all be starters on a lot of power 5 teams. If Richt can rotate them well throughout games we'll be able run defenses ragged by always having a talented back with fresh legs in the game.

Advertisement
Great stuff and thanks for the write-up. This is probably the most meaningless part of what was said but I've noticed that Richt brings up a lot, in almost an effort to explain to us, that he hadn't been back to the Gables that much since he graduated. It sometimes almost even comes off like he was/is regretful about that. I doubt that there's a single person in our fanbase that holds that against him or ever did. Dude was hired by a rival after leaving here and then was the head coach at a major program that recruits this area. Nobody expected him to be promoting the University of Miami during those periods. I dunno, maybe I'm reading too much into it but I just noticed that he'll bring it up unsolicited.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thanks for the summary. Did anyone ask him about a certain Juco player at a position of need? I hear him talking about depth, or the lack thereof, but not about a solution.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It sounds like Coach Richt if they find some players the like as late 2016 additions, he will cut some current olinemen on the roster.

It is unfortunate that Hayden Mahoney maybe one of them because of all the things him and his family did to help Bar Milo visit Miami. Also I could see knighton being strongly encouraged to take a medical hardship scholarship in order to remain at Miami. Jahir Jones I see as a candidate to be encouraged to transfer also based on the reports of him struggling in practice.

The problem will be replacing the olinemen with upgrades, because Searle doesn't strike me as a moster recruiter. An his resume of putting linemen in the NFL leaves a lot to be desired.

There are a few LB's on the roster as well that may get a long look .

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back