Richt: I miss coaching quarterbacks, I miss calling plays.

Advertisement
Also if Richt really misses coaching QBs, have we got a deal for him...

If he doesn't stick around at UGA how does it sound to have him as OC, assuming we don't end up with an offensive minded head coach?

“No doubt,” Richt said. “I’ll say this: if an when I do coach again I’ll look forward to coaching again. Being more hands on. I miss coaching quarterbacks, I miss calling plays.”

Richt’s role going forward at UGA has "not been defined totally," according to Richt. Since he won’t be recruiting over the next two weeks he will spend that time "looking at my options."

Mark Richt fired: Richt waits for opportunities after Georgia | www.ajc.com

Why would one of the most winningest SEC coaches in the last 15 years take an OC job?

Richt as play-calling HC and Butch as DC would be a helluva combination.

You beat me to it, ... Sort of. I was thinking Butch and Richt as co-HC's, with one doubling as OC and the other as DC. Each one has final say over his respective side of the ball.

It's a pipe dream, for sure. But man, wouldn't it be cool to see them get together and do it simply for the love of the "U". Sigh... Time to wake up and prep myself for the unveiling of Corch Mario.

Advertisement
If he doesn't stick around at UGA how does it sound to have him as OC, assuming we don't end up with an offensive minded head coach?

“No doubt,” Richt said. “I’ll say this: if an when I do coach again I’ll look forward to coaching again. Being more hands on. I miss coaching quarterbacks, I miss calling plays.”

Richt’s role going forward at UGA has "not been defined totally," according to Richt. Since he won’t be recruiting over the next two weeks he will spend that time "looking at my options."

Mark Richt fired: Richt waits for opportunities after Georgia | www.ajc.com

Why would one of the most winningest SEC coaches in the last 15 years take an OC job?

Because he loves and wants to get back to that part of the game. He specifically said he was open to being an OC or even a QB coach. Straight from the unabridged transcript of his presser:

Mark Richt: “I’ll say this — if and when I do coach again, I’m looking forward to coaching again in terms of being more hands-on. I miss coaching quarterbacks, I miss calling plays, I miss that part of it. Whether it’s in the role of head coach, coordinator, quarterbacks coach, whatever it is. If in fact I choose to do that I’d be really excited about coaching QBs again and getting in the middle of coaching offensive strategy. Not that I wasn’t in it, but I wasn’t calling it. And I think I’d be more apt to do that again.” "

Advertisement
Back