Richard Sherman

You need magnanimity and class when you expect that the same thing can happen to you on any given Saturday/Sunday. When you are prepared to back it up and don't see any other way through but by pure dominance, you talk and back it up. You aren't prepared to say "well things just didn't go our way," so when you don't back it up (or when you might be bested). u wind up breaking down due to the pain of failure, of defeat. This is what we all know big man Highsmith doing after the penn state debacle. You resolve to not fail, and when you do, it hurts much you resolve to never let that **** happen again. This is what built The U, and you can see it in Sherman.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Saw this and thought it was pretty funny. doesn't add anything to the debate but that's ok.

:rollcanes:

‘To Those Who Would Call Me a Thug or Worse …’

I show passion on the football field—but that’s only a small part of who I am. If you want to judge me, I can handle it.

What a night, and what a finish.

Near midnight I still had about 70 unread text messages from friends and family, most of which read, “Best interview ever!” Many of my Twitter mentions were less supportive. My body ached. I was thrilled and proud and upset, all at once.

Here’s what happened …

I spent most of the game on an island: I was targeted only twice during the entire NFC Championship. The first produced a BS holding call against me; the second ended the game. Michael Crabtree stutter-stepped out of his break on first down and sprinted toward the end zone. I was in good position for a pick until he pushed me in the back. My interception became a tip and an interception for Malcolm Smith in the end zone.

Game over. The Seahawks are in the Super Bowl.

I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said, “Good game, good game.” That’s when he shoved my face, and that’s when I went off.

I threw a choking sign at 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Why? Because he decided he was going to try the guy he was avoiding all game, because, I don’t know, he’s probably not paying attention for the game-winning play. C’mon, you’re better than that.

“It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am.”Erin Andrews interviewed me after the game and I yelled what was obvious: If you put a subpar player across from a great one, most of the time you’re going to get one result. As far as Crabtree being a top-20 NFL receiver, you’d have a hard time making that argument to me. There are a lot of receivers playing good ball out there, and Josh Gordon needed 14 games to produce almost double what Crabtree can do in a full season. And Gordon had Brandon Weeden, Brian Hoyer and Jason Campbell playing quarterback.

But that’s not why I don’t like the man. It goes back to something he said to me this offseason in Arizona, but you’d have to ask him about that. A lot of what I said to Andrews was adrenaline talking, and some of that was Crabtree. I just don’t like him.

It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am. I don’t want to be a villain, because I’m not a villainous person. When I say I’m the best cornerback in football, it’s with a caveat: There isn’t a great defensive backfield in the NFL that doesn’t have a great front seven. Everything begins with pressure up front, and that’s what we get from our pass rushers every Sunday. To those who would call me a thug or worse because I show passion on a football field—don’t judge a person’s character by what they do between the lines. Judge a man by what he does off the field, what he does for his community, what he does for his family.

But people find it easy to take shots on Twitter, and to use racial slurs and bullying language far worse than what you’ll see from me. It’s sad and somewhat unbelievable to me that the world is still this way, but it is. I can handle it.

One thing I can’t accept is what I read after the game about Seahawks fans throwing food at 49ers linebacker Navorro Bowman as he was being carted off the field with his knee injury. If it’s true, it’s beyond terrible. That’s as low as it gets. I’m sure whoever did this is in a small minority of fans, because I don’t think that kind of action is an accurate representation of the character of the 12th man. Navorro Bowman is a great player who plays the game the right way. When he went down, I dropped to a knee and prayed for him. He deserves better than having food thrown at him as he’s carted off a field. All players deserve better than that.

So here we are, in the Super Bowl. New York-bound. There will be a lot of talking, but at this point, after 18 games, there’s nothing left to say. We have the right mindset, and nothing can change that. We’ve treated every week like a championship opportunity and we’ll obviously continue to think that way. We deserve to be here. We didn’t sneak into the Super Bowl; we earned our way. Now every goal we set forth at the beginning of the season is in front of us.

The Broncos stand in our way, and it’s a large obstacle. They’ve got the smartest quarterback in football and receivers who are large (mostly), explosive with the football and run great routes. Wes Welker is quick and elusive, Eric Decker is a great receiver with hands and speed, and Demaryius Thomas is as strong as they come. And Peyton knows how to get each of them in spots.

It’s the No. 1 offense vs. the No. 1 defense. It’s a match made in heaven, and we couldn’t be more excited. If you’re any kind of competitor and you have any kind of dog about you, you want to play against the best. Finally, we get the opportunity.

The kid got emotional after a great game. His comments on Bowman says a lot about his character. Obviously there is a past between him and Crabtree.

We need what happened on the play more than we need what happened in the interview.

But with that said:

58.gif

Lulz at canes fans being disgusted with Richard Sherman. Smh

Man shut your **** *** up. The U was built with REAL tough guys straight from the hood. Not pretenders like Sherman.

Sherman is a fake *** tough guy who went to stanford and was a 4.0 student in HS. He is faker than a black woman's hair. He is not a goon. He is not hard. He is not tough. He is only pretending to be and he is just an actor. He only runs that tough guy act on soft WRs.

When Sherman tries his fake tough guy shtick against real men he gets his *** punked.

342.gif

So don't you dare compare this fake, pretending *** tough guy to the old Canes who were REALLY about that life and not just some loudmouth pretending to be a tough guy.

So because he is an educated man who didn't grew up in the hood makes him "fake" or not a "tough" guy ? That's just stupid.

That whole post was full of fail. So what he's smart? Dude is from fuggin Compton. The weak need not apply.

dude laughed after he got punched, if he retaliated they would then call him a thug. He talks **** during the game but its all love after the game there nothing wrong with that. Not saying hes a thug but if n e thing the redskin dudes action says more about him then Sherman.

The kid got emotional after a great game. His comments on Bowman says a lot about his character. Obviously there is a past between him and Crabtree.

Yep, and here it is:

Report: Crabtree tried to fight Richard Sherman at charity event

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

January 20, 2014 11:41 am ET

More SB coverage: XLVIII odds | Expert Picks | Latest news
While Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman's postgame rant Sunday night in which he called 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree a "sorry receiver" was awfully entertaining, he also mentioned that Crabtree might have talked badly about him at some point.
Aside from Crabtree's refusal to confirm in the previous week that Sherman was the best cornerback in the league and aside from perhaps some on-field trash talking, it was hard to know exactly why the Seahawks cornerback felt so slighted.
The Seattle Times sheds light on an incident from last offseason in which Crabtree reportedly tried to start a fight while the two were at a charity event hosted by Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald.
"While there, Sherman went to shake Crabtree's hand, and Crabtree tried to start a fight, according to Sherman's older brother, Branton," writes Jerry Brewer of the Times. "'I'm going to make a play and embarrass him,' Richard Sherman vowed that day."
I don't know if Sherman embarrassed Crabtree on Sunday, but Sherman certainly followed through on his promise to make a play.

"I was making sure everybody knew that Crabtree was a mediocre receiver. Mediocre," Sherman said in his postgame news conference. "And when you try the best corner in the game with a mediocre receiver, that's what happens. Game."
Crabtree responded that he was not a TV guy, unlike Sherman, and that Crabtree simply plays ball. "He made one play and he talks," Crabtree said. "It was a good play."
But Sherman isn't only a TV guy. He also pens an occasional column for theMMQB.com, and on Monday morning, he was in a writing mood.
From his story about his reaction after he tipped the game-clinching interception:
I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said, "Good game, good game." That's when he shoved my face, and that's when I went off.
I threw a choking sign at 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Why? Because he decided he was going to try the guy he was avoiding all game, because, I don't know, he's probably not paying attention for the game-winning play. C'mon, you're better than that.
But that's not why I don't like the man. It goes back to something he said to me this offseason in Arizona, but you'd have to ask him about that. A lot of what I said to [Erin] Andrews was adrenaline talking, and some of that was Crabtree. I just don't like him. It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am. I don't want to be a villain, because I'm not a villainous person ... To those who would call me a thug or worse because I show passion on a football field -- don't judge a person's character by what they do between the lines. Judge a man by what he does off the field, what he does for his community, what he does for his family.
That's only a small portion of what Sherman wrote, and I would advise you to read the entire piece, especially for his thoughts on 49ers linebacker NaVorro Bowman and his alleged treatment by some Seahawks fans.
Oh, and one other spoiler: Sherman doesn't much care for Crabtree.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ied-to-fight-richard-sherman-at-charity-event

Advertisement
Sherman set it up perfectly. Now all of America will be talking about him for two weeks.

These are the times when I'm glad I live in a foreign country.

Yep, and here it is:

Report: Crabtree tried to fight Richard Sherman at charity event

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

January 20, 2014 11:41 am ET

More SB coverage: XLVIII odds | Expert Picks | Latest news
While Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman's postgame rant Sunday night in which he called 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree a "sorry receiver" was awfully entertaining, he also mentioned that Crabtree might have talked badly about him at some point.
Aside from Crabtree's refusal to confirm in the previous week that Sherman was the best cornerback in the league and aside from perhaps some on-field trash talking, it was hard to know exactly why the Seahawks cornerback felt so slighted.
The Seattle Times sheds light on an incident from last offseason in which Crabtree reportedly tried to start a fight while the two were at a charity event hosted by Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald.
"While there, Sherman went to shake Crabtree's hand, and Crabtree tried to start a fight, according to Sherman's older brother, Branton," writes Jerry Brewer of the Times. "'I'm going to make a play and embarrass him,' Richard Sherman vowed that day."
I don't know if Sherman embarrassed Crabtree on Sunday, but Sherman certainly followed through on his promise to make a play.

"I was making sure everybody knew that Crabtree was a mediocre receiver. Mediocre," Sherman said in his postgame news conference. "And when you try the best corner in the game with a mediocre receiver, that's what happens. Game."
Crabtree responded that he was not a TV guy, unlike Sherman, and that Crabtree simply plays ball. "He made one play and he talks," Crabtree said. "It was a good play."
But Sherman isn't only a TV guy. He also pens an occasional column for theMMQB.com, and on Monday morning, he was in a writing mood.
From his story about his reaction after he tipped the game-clinching interception:
I ran over to Crabtree to shake his hand but he ignored me. I patted him, stuck out my hand and said, "Good game, good game." That's when he shoved my face, and that's when I went off.
I threw a choking sign at 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Why? Because he decided he was going to try the guy he was avoiding all game, because, I don't know, he's probably not paying attention for the game-winning play. C'mon, you're better than that.
But that's not why I don't like the man. It goes back to something he said to me this offseason in Arizona, but you'd have to ask him about that. A lot of what I said to [Erin] Andrews was adrenaline talking, and some of that was Crabtree. I just don't like him. It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am. I don't want to be a villain, because I'm not a villainous person ... To those who would call me a thug or worse because I show passion on a football field -- don't judge a person's character by what they do between the lines. Judge a man by what he does off the field, what he does for his community, what he does for his family.
That's only a small portion of what Sherman wrote, and I would advise you to read the entire piece, especially for his thoughts on 49ers linebacker NaVorro Bowman and his alleged treatment by some Seahawks fans.
Oh, and one other spoiler: Sherman doesn't much care for Crabtree.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...ied-to-fight-richard-sherman-at-charity-event

Niner fans aint trynna hear this......but Sherman shouldnt have to clear his name people wont listen. Its just like here no one listens even if u bring facts, hate is hate u cant make a terroist think america is great same thing here. Tards r Tards

Full disclosure: I've been a Niners fan for as long as I've been a Canes fan, 30'ish years. That aside, this situation just doesn't add up.

The reaction Crabtree had at the charity event is the wrong one to have...but for most people, unless Crabtree is just a highly unbalanced individual, for you to start a fight with someone--there has to be more that happens than a handshake being offered as Branton Sherman stated. I don't start fights with most people, even those I pretty much hate, if we're in public at a charity function and you offer me a handshake.

I'd say it's Sherman and his brother that aren't giving full disclosure here. I'm not saying Sherman has to "clear his name", but if he's had any part in this animosity that Crabtree holds for him, then he needs to own up to it and quit acting like he's 100% innocent.

Advertisement
I absolutely loved it! Ppl don't know Crabtree talks a lot of ish too so seeing sherman gets the best of him was great! I would so the samething. This is what Swagger and Cane Nation was built off of. Know your history!!!

Advertisement
No big deal he shut him down and can talk all he wants he won. Just like we got upset with freeman and the 305, we can get mad but they won he can do wtf he wants. Just like Armstead said if u dont like us dancing then dont let get into the endzone.

Advertisement
Sherman is a playmaker. Canes and Dolphins have too many guys who get to the ball but otherwise do nothing. Batting the ball down is worthless if the opposition gets to line up again versus a flailing defense.

However, Sherman is an idiot. Why describe Crabtree as mediocre? That's not only blatantly false it detracts from your own accomplishment. Reminds me of the Duke basketball fans and their moronic "overrated" chant that somehow spread. If you beat someone you want the world to think they were fantastic, making you mega fantastic.

Why describe Crabtree as mediocre? That's not only blatantly false it detracts from your own accomplishment.

Who says it is blatantly false? He has been extremely average since entering the league.. A lot of it is due to health issues but he's had mediocre production nonetheless.

Richard Sherman is the best corner in the league but he got roasted by Roddy and Julio Jones in the playoffs last year. I just wish it had humbled him a little bit.

Advertisement
Back