Rhett Lashlee or Kendall Briles?

Advertisement
Your recruiting rankings are what the recruiting services say they are.

Honestly, the people claiming that we really have a top 5 roster and the recruiting services underrate us seem like the real trolls to me.
Who’s in here saying we have a top 5 roster? I haven’t read the thread but I can’t imagine anyone saying that.

Seriously?

Jimbo left something like the #5 talent in the country for Taggart and staff. Miami’s current talent, on the other hand, is something like #17 nationally.

People on here ridiculously overrate the level of talent on the Miami roster.

And it doesn’t seem like our talent is going to improve anytime soon. We usually have a top 5 recruiting class at this time of year, but this year we’re #15.... I’m not sure our final 2021 recruiting ranking will be in the top 25.
Miami has had a more talented team overall since 2016, draft numbers indicate that. No one is overrating anything, Miami has been more talented than fsu for multiple years now. You just sound like a troll honestly. Go position by position on offense and I bet You Miami has a higher Recruit Average rating at EACH positional group unit

Don’t know if you just been watching football with blindfolds but fsu classes the last 4 years have been duds and no development has taken place

Advertisement
Miami has had a more talented team overall since 2016, draft numbers indicate that. No one is overrating anything, Miami has been more talented than fsu for multiple years now. You just sound like a troll honestly. Go position by position on offense and I bet You Miami has a higher Recruit Average rating at EACH positional group unit

Don’t know if you just been watching football with blindfolds but fsu classes the last 4 years have been duds and no development has taken place

Of course FSU hasn’t been developing their talent well. But they have more talent than Miami. FSU was 6th in talent composite last year, and Miami was 17th. https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

What’s been good about our drafts lately? We didn’t have anybody drafted before round 4 in 2019 or 2020, or before round 3 in 2018.

Last edited:
Of course FSU hasn’t been developing their talent well. But they have more talent than Miami. FSU was 6th in talent composite last year, and Miami was 17th.
I see your going off of rankings! Those are irrelevant because there has been 3yrs worth of seeing them play! Hmm. We're on a 3 game winning streak against them. So...where is that 6th rated talent eval you speak on?

I see your going off of rankings! Those are irrelevant because there has been 3yrs worth of seeing them play! Hmm. We're on a 3 game winning streak against them. So...where is that 6th rated talent eval you speak on?

That’s because Willie Taggart was a horrible coach. It’s not because FSU wasn’t talented.

That’s because Willie Taggart was a horrible coach. It’s not because FSU wasn’t talented.
ok we didn't have a great staff either only person who we (thought richt) was still a good coach was only good off the field..i.e, indoor practice facility, fund raising! he got us pointed in the right direction (hopefully)! Did we out coach fsu? Out scheme? Wanted it more? We were the better bad team! We had the better over the hill coach! Or, We were tired of the 7 game losing streak. I still come back to we were at least as talented as fsu? Your thoughts?

Advertisement
Of course FSU hasn’t been developing their talent well. But they have more talent than Miami. FSU was 6th in talent composite last year, and Miami was 17th. https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

What’s been good about our drafts lately? We didn’t have anybody drafted before round 4 in 2019 or 2020, or before round 3 in 2018.
What has been missing with us is coaching, development of players, top end talent @ Qb commitment to the football program from the top on down!...if we would've had a legit qb in the last 10-15 yrs things would be different around here in a good way!!

Seriously?

Jimbo left something like the #5 talent in the country for Taggart and staff. Miami’s current talent, on the other hand, is something like #17 nationally.

People on here ridiculously overrate the level of talent on the Miami roster.

And it doesn’t seem like our talent is going to improve anytime soon. We usually have a top 5 recruiting class at this time of year, but this year we’re #15.... I’m not sure our final 2021 recruiting ranking will be in the top 25.
Being objective is absolutely not allowed on the board. People on here will swear we are just as talented as LSU and bama

Honestly, the people claiming that we really have a top 5 roster and the recruiting services underrate us seem like the real trolls to me.

Who’s in here saying we have a top 5 roster? I haven’t read the thread but I can’t imagine anyone saying that.
@not an al golden fan , who’s in here saying we have a top 5 roster?

I see a lot of FSU fans saying Lashlee is our Kendall Briles and he will fail due to Manny Diaz like Kendal did with Willie. Do you think these circumstances are anything alike?

I think it's a basic-*** argument from lunkhead Florida State fans—the same type of folks who compared Charlie Strong to a Randy Shannon, or vice versa, because both were defensive-minded black coaches in the state of Florida (at the time).

Briles spent almost a decade at Baylor because his daddy got him the job—and his resume isn't too impressive outside of that; one year at FAU, one year at Houston, one year at Florida State and now at Arkansas. Zero track record. (He also played safety and wide receiver in Houston, while Lashlee was actually a quarterback.)

Lashlee cut his teeth coaching under Malzahn at Springdale High School and did the standard GA stuff (Arnaksas, Auburn) before landing the OC gigs at Samford, Arkansas State and four years calling plays at Auburn, against good SEC defenses. One year at UConn and two at SMU with an explosive offense.

We'll see how he pans out at Miami, but it's a weak argument to compare him to Briles—bases on literally nothing, outside both running the spread and and getting their shot with big-time Florida state powers.

Advertisement

No there not! those rankings are someones opinion and your speaking on it like its facts! The same people who had Gr15 as 3 star are the same who had tim couch, kyle wright, jamarcus russell, the qb from lsu a few years back russell something?, and countless others over hyped or under valued. That's why we care who the coaches, coordinators are! If our talent gets coached up or developed the proper way..i e gr15 getting coached up or brevin being developed the proper way then we can play with anyone!

I think it's a basic-*** argument from lunkhead Florida State fans—the same type of folks who compared Charlie Strong to a Randy Shannon, or vice versa, because both were defensive-minded black coaches in the state of Florida (at the time).

Briles spent almost a decade at Baylor because his daddy got him the job—and his resume isn't too impressive outside of that; one year at FAU, one year at Houston, one year at Florida State and now at Arkansas. Zero track record. (He also played safety and wide receiver in Houston, while Lashlee was actually a quarterback.)

Lashlee cut his teeth coaching under Malzahn at Springdale High School and did the standard GA stuff (Arnaksas, Auburn) before landing the OC gigs at Samford, Arkansas State and four years calling plays at Auburn, against good SEC defenses. One year at UConn and two at SMU with an explosive offense.

We'll see how he pans out at Miami, but it's a weak argument to compare him to Briles—bases on literally nothing, outside both running the spread and and getting their shot with big-time Florida state powers.
Lashlee didn’t call plays at Auburn until his last year there 2016. Malzahn previously called all the plays as HC, but handed it to Lashlee when he started feeling overburdened in 2016. Lashlee left to UConn after that season to have more control over his own offense. Probably safe to assume Malzahn still wanted to have a strong say on the offensive playcalling/strategy and Lashlee wanted more freedom to create his own offense.

In my opinion (not an expert by any means), during Lashlees time at UConn and SMU, he seems to have been crafting an offense that blends Malzahns run spread schemes with Air Raid schemes (hence why he joined Dykes at SMU). This is similar to the offense Kendall Briles runs, although I’m sure there are some differences. DEriq King has actually mentioned a few times that one of Lashlees strongest selling points to come to Miami was that he’d run a similar offense to what Briles ran with King in 2018 at Houston, when King blew up and had a huge year. So it sounds like Lashlee himself has told King he’ll be running an offense similar to what Briles ran at Houston.

Lashlee didn’t call plays at Auburn until his last year there 2016. Malzahn previously called all the plays as HC, but handed it to Lashlee when he started feeling overburdened in 2016. Lashlee left to UConn after that season to have more control over his own offense. Probably safe to assume Malzahn still wanted to have a strong say on the offensive playcalling/strategy and Lashlee wanted more freedom to create his own offense.

In my opinion (not an expert by any means), during Lashlees time at UConn and SMU, he seems to have been crafting an offense that blends Malzahns run spread schemes with Air Raid schemes (hence why he joined Dykes at SMU). This is similar to the offense Kendall Briles runs, although I’m sure there are some differences. DEriq King has actually mentioned a few times that one of Lashlees strongest selling points to come to Miami was that he’d run a similar offense to what Briles ran with King in 2018 at Houston, when King blew up and had a huge year. So it sounds like Lashlee himself has told King he’ll be running an offense similar to what Briles ran at Houston.
Here’s the interview with King:

“I knew Miami had a Top 15 defense the last three years and they were the youngest team in the country last year and they brought in a new offensive coordinator from SMU that kind of learned from coach Briles,” King said.

“When I got there and talked to coach Lashlee, he reminded me of coach Briles a little bit just with how they coach and think—just always trying to score in attack mode and never take their foot off the gas,” King said. “That is how I like to play. I like to play freely, so I decided to go there.”

Advertisement
Knowing what we saw last season and assuming a continued Miami weak OL unit, early in the season, what types of plays cod we expect Lashlee to dial up to get momentum going?

Will he utilize the talented RBs in the quick pass game? He can't call a slant every single play.

Really looking forward to see what he cooks up.

Go Canes.

Here’s the interview with King:

“I knew Miami had a Top 15 defense the last three years and they were the youngest team in the country last year and they brought in a new offensive coordinator from SMU that kind of learned from coach Briles,” King said.

“When I got there and talked to coach Lashlee, he reminded me of coach Briles a little bit just with how they coach and think—just always trying to score in attack mode and never take their foot off the gas,” King said. “That is how I like to play. I like to play freely, so I decided to go there.”

So I would say the 2 main differences between us and 2019 FSU are our defense is much better than theirs was and King is better than their QBs were.

Another key difference: Taggert is a former OC, and I read reports that he was meddling with Briles’ offense last year, not allowing him to run exactly what he wanted. At Miami, Lashlee will have 100% control to run his offense.

Last edited:
Knowing what we saw last season and assuming a continued Miami weak OL unit, early in the season, what types of plays cod we expect Lashlee to dial up to get momentum going?

Will he utilize the talented RBs in the quick pass game? He can't call a slant every single play.

Really looking forward to see what he cooks up.

Go Canes.

There is more to the short passing game than the slant and screen.

Shhhh. Don’t tell Richt and Enos.

All Lashlee’s plays have potential even if the line is still gelling. He has a varied screen game. Hopefully there are stops, drags and crosses in abundance. Putting two short routes on the same side gives the quarterback easy to see options as well. Motion can help get guys free releases against press coverage.

The most important thing is the timing he teaches his quarterback. The pace allows him to run check with me and make calls based on the look he gets. Even on long throws, he coaches the quarterback to release in under 3 seconds. That will go a long way to helping us even if the offensive line has a ways to go.

Advertisement
Back