Revisit : Miami Legends debate who is the greatest player in the history of The U

I have a card signed from him to me from wayyyy back. As much as I hate Bama, and the Patriots, John Hannah was one of the baddest men to ever play the game. He'd **** sure be on our list of top 5 players had we been lucky enough to have him. Far and away the best guard I ever saw play.

Don't feel bad. At least you were in the right ballpark name wise. It's not like you said Joe Montana.
Lol. Thanks. That’s amazing you have a card signed by him. Even though our record may have said otherwise, we had some great players before we became “ The U”.

Advertisement
You young guys can't imagine how good OJ Anderson was...his Game Winning TD run against UF in 78 is Legendary...
I always rank Ottis #1 as UM RB. Will apologies to Chuck Foreman, I consider Ottis the first great back and he played on trash teams. There may be a 1b, 1c...etc but I give nods to the first guy to do it. Like Jim Kelly at QB.

Foreman had a great NFL career, first rounder, 22 TDs as a rookie in a 12 game season, but I didn’t see him play. Maybe he’s 1b, or 1c...

Last edited:
In 45yrs of watching UM FB....I've never seen a better performance by a UM DT than the show put on by Sapp against Nebraska in 95....He absolutely Destroyed them pretty much single-handedly for 3 quarters before exhaustion took over...if Riley didn't tear his ACL in the last reg season game, and Lang...Holmes weren't banged up...we Win...show me a single Player who neutralized Tommy Frazier (and Berringer) like he did......you can't....
Sapp was a man possessed. I still remember him grabbing Lawrence Phillips by the collar from behind, Phillps in stride, and Sapp picking him up off his feet. And Phillips was no small scat back. He was a bad dude (no pun intended).

My friends and I just went...’Wow...’.

Jerome 1a, Sapp 1b.

One player some Cane fans often sleep on is DL Eddie Edwards. 3rd pick overall in 1977. 1976 consensus AA senior season. Jack Harding MVP. On a bad 3-8 Carl Selmer team.

University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 1989.

83.5 career sacks in the NFL, for generally ‘meh’ Cincinnati teams. Only 47.5 of those sacks are official because the NFL did not record them as a statistic until 1982. 12 year career. 1st team All-Pro in 1981.

He’s in the Top 10,12 DL in Canes lore. Maybe higher.

Last edited:
One player some Cane fans often sleep on is DL Eddie Edwards. 3rd pick overall in 1977. 1976 consensus AA senior season. Jack Harding MVP. On a bad 3-8 Carl Selmer team.

University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame in 1989.

83.5 career sacks in the NFL, for generally ‘meh’ Cincinnati teams. Only 47.5 of those sacks are official because the NFL did not record them as a statistic until 1982. 12 year career. 1st team All-Pro in 1981.

He’s in the Top 10,12 DL in Canes lore. Maybe higher.
Oh...I didn't forget...read my prior posts...

Advertisement
Oh trust me...Im well aware...75 was my 1st Canes game.
You aren't kidding. I remember getting into games for free because of a school deal and we would get bashed by everyone.

In order to be a fan "legend" you really should be pre-1980's because it just isn't fair dammit. And please, don't call me a bitter older short person because I am a bitter older short person and when a label is true it is hurtful.

Jerome Brown was the best d-lineman I ever saw at UM. And considering that means better than Kennedy, Maryland, Wilfork and Sapp, that puts Brown in my top 5 all time.
Absolutely. I was scrolling down and wondering when he would pop up on this list. Amazing combo of strength and speed. Could go around you one play and thru you the next. Best o or d lineman we ever had. Has to be in top 5 with Sean and Ted H. Other 2 not as clear cut in my view.

Advertisement
Absolutely. I was scrolling down and wondering when he would pop up on this list. Amazing combo of strength and speed. Could go around you one play and thru you the next. Best o or d lineman we ever had. Has to be in top 5 with Sean and Ted H. Other 2 not as clear cut in my view.
Not better than Sapp...Same Strength...but Sapp was faster (this according to the guy who coached Both...and who adored Jerome)

Not better than Sapp...Same Strength...but Sapp was faster (this according to the guy who coached Both...and who adored Jerome)
JB was stronger, imo. At least, seemed more able to take on bigger OL as I recall it. Sapp relied more on quickness. JB was off to comparable nfl career. RIP.

JB was stronger, imo. At least, seemed more able to take on bigger OL as I recall it. Sapp relied more on quickness. JB was off to comparable nfl career. RIP.
What is great is that we can’t effectively differentiate between them which speaks to their greatness.

Advertisement
@Ethnicsands ...i'm not completely sold on JB being stronger....JB was double teamed alot....which quite frankly led to Stubbs getting all those Sacks....Sapp was double teamed against Nebraska the entire game in 95 to no avail....he brushed them off like they were non existent...and we're talking about a Behemoth Nebraska OL.....Look man...I love Jerome....he was 10× the person Sapp is.....but I've had too many coaches tell me Sapp was the best at UM....Including a Man who coached both....

Impossible to name one, even at positions there are few single greatest. Irvin WR, but what about Wayne and Anderson and a half dozen others. Bennie Blades Safety, what about Sean Taylor. Ray Lewis LB, what about Dan Morgan and a dozen others. Sapp DT, what about Brown and Stubbs...ridiculous to go on...but it has certainly been our pleasure to see these guys as they become GOAT's.

Impossible to name one, even at positions there are few single greatest. Irvin WR, but what about Wayne and Anderson and a half dozen others. Bennie Blades Safety, what about Sean Taylor. Ray Lewis LB, what about Dan Morgan and a dozen others. Sapp DT, what about Brown and Stubbs...ridiculous to go on...but it has certainly been our pleasure to see these guys as they become GOAT's.
I'm probably missing something but who is WR Anderson? Andre Johnson??

Advertisement
I always find it interesting that Chuck Foreman's name never comes up in these discussions. I wonder if its because he was at UM before most of us were around.

@caneinorlando - Any thoughts or memories of Chuck Foreman's time at UM?

I always find it interesting that Chuck Foreman's name never comes up in these discussions. I wonder if its because he was at UM before most of us were around.

Foreman was the best receiving back Miami has had in my opinion. Because Curci was running veer he moved Foreman to wideout to get Tommy Smith carries. Served him well when he got to Minnesota.

Alittle before my time...but surely a Great one on some horrid UM teams
..and of course a All Pro with the Vikings

@Ethnicsands ...i'm not completely sold on JB being stronger....JB was double teamed alot....which quite frankly led to Stubbs getting all those Sacks....Sapp was double teamed against Nebraska the entire game in 95 to no avail....he brushed them off like they were non existent...and we're talking about a Behemoth Nebraska OL.....Look man...I love Jerome....he was 10× the person Sapp is.....but I've had too many coaches tell me Sapp was the best at UM....Including a Man who coached both....
I hear you. I know what my eyes saw. I’m a bit off of what ‘they’ say. IMO Sapp was that sometimes but he did struggle a bit against bigger guys in college and nfl, or at least I rexall it that way. Where he was unique was how twitchy quick he was for someone with strength. JB i feel like was superior in bull rush and lower body strength. Obviously also in leadership / personality. I just watched the games so don’t want to argue with the coaches but ... I’d take JB personally.
Both were great. In the new world of passing offenses, Sapp would be even better, IMO.

Advertisement
Back