Revisit : Miami Legends debate who is the greatest player in the history of The U

Advertisement
You young guys can't imagine how good OJ Anderson was...his Game Winning TD run against UF in 78 is Legendary...
Many of the youngin’s think the program started in the 80’s. We had quite a few AA’s well before then. Jim Otto, John Hannah and Chuck Foremab barely get a mention - just to name a few.

Edge is my Fav CANE of All-Time.
ALZXLBCWMBGWHM6PGJIU4LGLHM.jpeg.jpg

Advertisement
The answer depends on how you weigh impact at UM, team success at UM, significance to program / history, and ultimate nfl success, if that counts.

Example: LB: Morgan was the most decorated LB in ncaa history. Helped rebuild the program. No title. No canton. Lewis came after the decline had commenced, left early, no title, but goes down as the best defensive player ever, imo. Barrow was first team AA, top dog on best LB crew ever, won 2 titles iirc. Good nfl career. D. Smith was 2x AA, also key to title team, also good nfl career. I put none in a top 5.

Example 2: DT: Sapp technically won a title but it was his frosh year. He goes on to be unanimous AA, nagursky, lombardy, big east dpoy, nfl HOF career. But Jerome Brown was more important on totle teams at Miami, and helped build the brand, and was on his way to a Canton career (2x first team all pro his 2d and 3d seasons) before dying tragically. Maryland and Kennedy were 2xnc, Maryland more decorated in college, in cfb HOF. Kennedy in Canton. I give nod to JB.

Example 3: S: Evrryone talks reed and ST. There’s a reason the name blades is famous in Miami. Bennie was 2x AA, NC, Thorpe award, CFB HOF. He had the best college career of any UM safety, imo. But reed was close, should have won Thorpe, and obviously did it in the nfl also. And ST was maybe the best of the 3. I don’t see how you tell the story of the U without BB.

QBs: Kelly put us on the map amd is in Canton, kosar won first title, vinny amd gino got heismans, walsh and dorsey just won. Can make arguments for several of these guys.

McKinnie was the best LT I have ever seen in cfb. Special hat tip to leon searcy for being a 3XNC and AA. Note E. brown gets over-looked a lot but was on ‘84 title team, was a first team AA and left UM with all the receiving records.

My top 5-10, weighting play at UM (including major awards), significance of teams at UM, and contributions to program st UM with only a bit of NFL credit:

D: Hendricks, B. Blades, Reed, J. Brown, Sapp // ST, Maryland, Morgan, Lewis, Barrow
O (non-QB): McKinnie, Irvin, E. Brown, Wayne, Foreman
QB: Kosar, Kelly, Walsh, Vinny T., Toretta

Tough calls: Anderson, Edge, Andre, Rolle (very under-rated - no one threw his way).

Advertisement
Jerome Brown was the best d-lineman I ever saw at UM. And considering that means better than Kennedy, Maryland, Wilfork and Sapp, that puts Brown in my top 5 all time.
Butch was Jerome's DL Coach for 3 outta 4yrs....he told me Sapp was the best Interior DLman he'd ever seen...and he LOVED Jerome....i'm rollin with what he said...

Last edited:
Surprised not a lot of vinny love here. Fiesta bowl notwithstanding, he was unreal here. I love Walsh as well.

my votes would be (in no particular order)...

sapp
Irvin
Stork
Taylor (give me BB as my 2nd safety - there, I said it)
Jerome

outside looking in:

edge
Vinny
Reed
Ray
BB

Advertisement
In 45yrs of watching UM FB....I've never seen a better performance by a UM DT than the show put on by Sapp against Nebraska in 95....He absolutely Destroyed them pretty much single-handedly for 3 quarters before exhaustion took over...if Riley didn't tear his ACL in the last reg season game, and Lang...Holmes weren't banged up...we Win...show me a single Player who neutralized Tommy Frazier (and Berringer) like he did......you can't....

Advertisement
The answer depends on how you weigh impact at UM, team success at UM, significance to program / history, and ultimate nfl success, if that counts.

Example: LB: Morgan was the most decorated LB in ncaa history. Helped rebuild the program. No title. No canton. Lewis came after the decline had commenced, left early, no title, but goes down as the best defensive player ever, imo. Barrow was first team AA, top dog on best LB crew ever, won 2 titles iirc. Good nfl career. D. Smith was 2x AA, also key to title team, also good nfl career. I put none in a top 5.

Example 2: DT: Sapp technically won a title but it was his frosh year. He goes on to be unanimous AA, nagursky, lombardy, big east dpoy, nfl HOF career. But Jerome Brown was more important on totle teams at Miami, and helped build the brand, and was on his way to a Canton career (2x first team all pro his 2d and 3d seasons) before dying tragically. Maryland and Kennedy were 2xnc, Maryland more decorated in college, in cfb HOF. Kennedy in Canton. I give nod to JB.

Example 3: S: Evrryone talks reed and ST. There’s a reason the name blades is famous in Miami. Bennie was 2x AA, NC, Thorpe award, CFB HOF. He had the best college career of any UM safety, imo. But reed was close, should have won Thorpe, and obviously did it in the nfl also. And ST was maybe the best of the 3. I don’t see how you tell the story of the U without BB.

QBs: Kelly put us on the map amd is in Canton, kosar won first title, vinny amd gino got heismans, walsh and dorsey just won. Can make arguments for several of these guys.

McKinnie was the best LT I have ever seen in cfb. Special hat tip to leon searcy for being a 3XNC and AA. Note E. brown gets over-looked a lot but was on ‘84 title team, was a first team AA and left UM with all the receiving records.

My top 5-10, weighting play at UM (including major awards), significance of teams at UM, and contributions to program st UM with only a bit of NFL credit:

D: Hendricks, B. Blades, Reed, J. Brown, Sapp // ST, Maryland, Morgan, Lewis, Barrow
O (non-QB): McKinnie, Irvin, E. Brown, Wayne, Foreman
QB: Kosar, Kelly, Walsh, Vinny T., Toretta

Tough calls: Anderson, Edge, Andre, Rolle (very under-rated - no one threw his way).
This is the answer. You need more parameters/guidelines to make the proper choices.

Advertisement
Back