Returning production

We were a different team with Bevin. I love Mallory by he’s great to take a huge step to be the play maker that Jordan was.
I agree we were a different team but it is just difficult for me to say we will miss him when he was not healthy in many of our games.
We have other weapons coming in and might do more WR sets.

Phillips and Roche are the much more glaring holes to fill.

Advertisement
True, but those kids on the edge were such a HUGE part of any success we had on defense last year (yes I know, "success on defense"). Nesta had his moments, but really nothing from the other DT spot/LBs/DBs other than a cameo here or there early in the season by Bubba. Sooooo many of our stops were literally due to Phillips wreaking havoc, and I don't think we have anyone who can truly replace him.

Then obviously the other variables are King's health and, to a lesser extent, Covid. If King is healthy we'll all feel great about the O, but that's not a given. And then regarding covid...I still feel we benefitted more than most teams from it this year. I think Manny did a good job of managing that and team morale/attitude through it for most of the season. I don't expect we'll be worse without it, but will other teams be better (i.e. do some of those close wins go the other way)?
Truth be told, we’ve been saying that about the D line for a few years now. From McIntosh,Norton, Willis, Jackson, rosseau,Phillips, etc. I have faith that someone else will emerge.

Yeah we will only lose to Alabama by 28..
They don’t know how right you are, this fix is not one offseason to repair weak mindset we’ve all seen remember they’re coming back the same till there all purged.
1-2 more years and all weak mindset will be gone.

Then we can reschedule BAMA , but now we’re to fragile not good mentally in any way.

REALITY

I’m not drinking Koolaide anymore .

They don’t know how right you are, this fix is not one offseason to repair weak mindset we’ve all seen remember they’re coming back the same till there all purged.

Then we can reschedule BAMA , but now we’re to fragile not good mentally in any way.

REALITY

Sounds like you're the fragile one lol

Advertisement
Sounds like you're the fragile one lol
No brother, I’m not fragile at all in any way shape or form , even if I hated someone in the worst way the life I’ve survived I would never ever ever wish on any human being.

I’m mentally tough beyond the every day person dreams.

People who think they don't have a chance never do.

Hopefully the coaches and team don't have the attitude that some here do.
Awesome point here

Perseverance and Courage to know we are on the right path but it will take a little more time couple more years and we can reclaim our dominance on a national stage.

Patients couple more years and our reformation will be complete.

BUT NOT YET , I have a lot more down votes to go through till “ WE ALL SEE IT “ LOLOL

Last couple years we’ve fallen when shouldn’t have and mentally lost games.

We have the talent to win NOW but it’s our mindset focus that defeats us in critical times and we instantly droop shoulders and flags and late hits dropped passes occur over and over and seemed lost under pressure.

Players admitted this , takes years to reboot after years of going through the motions.

GOCANES

REALITY

Amazing when you live in a world of facts yes we will be more competive at positions then we were last year. But the cap of talent from the top 5 will take year after year. If we played alabama 2 years ago i could see us losing by 40. So we are improving but know where no where close to elite. That being said i expect us to win all the rest of the games and i am happy about that.

Advertisement
Truth be told, we’ve been saying that about the D line for a few years now. From McIntosh,Norton, Willis, Jackson, rosseau,Phillips, etc. I have faith that someone else will emerge.
I hope, but it's hard to expect that year after year. And specifically regarding our edge rushers, I don't see Harvey having that kind of impact. Nor our transfer from UT. Maybe Chantz blows up next year?

I hope, but it's hard to expect that year after year. And specifically regarding our edge rushers, I don't see Harvey having that kind of impact. Nor our transfer from UT. Maybe Chantz blows up next year?

To be fair, the best defense we’ve had here recently was in 2018, and the edge rushers were not high end NFL talent. Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin, Demetrius Jackson. If anything, it’s been plug and play there since Manny arrived. We had 2 kids at that spot this year who will go before the end of Day 2, and the defense took a step back. I’m not worried about the edge too much. Can we find linebackers who don’t belong at FAU, some corners who can play man, and a kid on the back end who can at least somewhat replicate what Quan did here?

We were a different team with Bevin. I love Mallory but he needs to take a huge step to be the play maker that Jordan was.
True let’s hope Arroyo plays well enough, including Will, to offset the difference that Jordan leaves gap wise. If he can come in and help elevate Malloru’s game too - it’s a win-win.

Advertisement
I agree we were a different team but it is just difficult for me to say we will miss him when he was not healthy in many of our games.
We have other weapons coming in and might do more WR sets.

Phillips and Roche are the much more glaring holes to fill.
Harvey just doesn’t look like the player that I thought he would be by now

I’m just not impressed

hopefully he improves

Harvey just doesn’t look like the player that I thought he would be by now

I’m just not impressed

hopefully he improves

Not sure how you can really say this. I actually thought he looked pretty **** athletic in the burn he got, which wasn't much considering he had a Day 1 and a Day 2 pick ahead of him.

Advertisement
Been a few posts on how much we’re returning next season. I’ve been a little hesitant to put too much stock into it since a good bit of it will also be shared by other programs taking advantage of the extra Covid year as well, but this is the first time I’ve seen it quantified, and it looks really good for the program.

Bill Connelly is teasing the release of his returning production article today and has shown the following:

Top 5 production overall (both sides of the ball) for all programs:

1. Louisiana
2. UCLA
3. Miami

Top 5 production returning on offense:

1. Miami

Top 5 returning production on defense of teams who finished in the top 40 in S+P in 2020:

1. Louisiana
2. Clemson (yikes)
3. Coastal
4. App State
5. Miami

So, a ton of production coming back on both sides. Most in the entire country on offense. Team should continue to improve. King back healthy is obviously the X-factor and then replacing the kids on the edge on defense.
Returning production is a really big deal, IMO, and something we've underachieved at because so many guys leave early. The team has a chance to take a meaningful step forward this coming season.

Here is the link to the article he teased that I started this thread on.

Which college football teams will return the most production in 2021? (espn.com)

Main takeaways:

-- He has Miami at #3 overall in the country in returning production
-- He has the Miami offense at #1 overall in the country in returning production, noting the entire 2-deep on offense is back except for Brevin Jordan. He says he incorporates the portal as much as possible, so you have to believe he's got Rambo factored in here, but I think another big factor that he probably doesn't have is Donaldson coming back at hopefully full-strength. Every single offensive coach is back. Bottom line, the offense was good last year, not great. 26th in PPG, 40th in YPP. It should be much better this season, of course depending on King's knee. The entire offensive roster is back except Brevin, that's insane
-- He has the Miami defense at #12 overall in returning production.

This is his write-up for Miami:

Manny Diaz's Hurricanes are poised to improve off last year's top-20 SP+ performance thanks to the return of basically all but one player on the offensive two-deep (only tight end Brevin Jordan departs), plus nearly every linebacker and the top five DBs. Star ends Quincy Roche and Jaelan Phillips will be tough to replace, but when's the last time a Diaz defense didn't have killer ends?

To be fair, the best defense we’ve had here recently was in 2018, and the edge rushers were not high end NFL talent. Joe Jackson, Jon Garvin, Demetrius Jackson. If anything, it’s been plug and play there since Manny arrived. We had 2 kids at that spot this year who will go before the end of Day 2, and the defense took a step back. I’m not worried about the edge too much. Can we find linebackers who don’t belong at FAU, some corners who can play man, and a kid on the back end who can at least somewhat replicate what Quan did here?
True, but that's just it. We didn't have those guys last year, so if we're comparing this year's D with last by who is leaving/returning, those guys were a big part of the equation. "RJ McIntosh and Kendrick Norton aren't walking through that door." ;)

Advertisement
Back