Returning production

Been a few posts on how much we’re returning next season. I’ve been a little hesitant to put too much stock into it since a good bit of it will also be shared by other programs taking advantage of the extra Covid year as well, but this is the first time I’ve seen it quantified, and it looks really good for the program.

Bill Connelly is teasing the release of his returning production article today and has shown the following:

Top 5 production overall (both sides of the ball) for all programs:

1. Louisiana
2. UCLA
3. Miami

Top 5 production returning on offense:

1. Miami

Top 5 returning production on defense of teams who finished in the top 40 in S+P in 2020:

1. Louisiana
2. Clemson (yikes)
3. Coastal
4. App State
5. Miami

So, a ton of production coming back on both sides. Most in the entire country on offense. Team should continue to improve. King back healthy is obviously the X-factor and then replacing the kids on the edge on defense.

Advertisement
Been a few posts on how much we’re returning next season. I’ve been a little hesitant to put too much stock into it since a good bit of it will also be shared by other programs taking advantage of the extra Covid year as well, but this is the first time I’ve seen it quantified, and it looks really good for the program.

Bill Connelly is teasing the release of his returning production article today and has shown the following:

1. Louisiana
2. UCLA
3. Miami

1. Miami

Top 5 returning production on defense of teams who finished in the top 40 in S+P in 2020:

1. Louisiana
2. Clemson (yikes)
3. Coastal
4. App State
5. Miami

So, a ton of production coming back on both sides. Most in the entire country on offense. Team should continue to improve. King back healthy is obviously the X-factor and then replacing the kids on the edge on defense.
Doesn't make sense that UCLA ahead of us overall if we are ahead of them on O and D. Did I miss something.

Doesn't make sense that UCLA ahead of us overall if we are ahead of them on O and D. Did I miss something.

We are #1 on offense but not in the top 5 on defense overall. We’re #5 of the teams who finished in the top 40 last season.

He kinda has it broken down by all teams and then only the good teams (top 40) from last year.

Advertisement

1. Louisiana
2. UCLA
3. Miami

1. Miami

1. Louisiana
2. Clemson (yikes)
3. Coastal
4. App State
5. Miami

True, but those kids on the edge were such a HUGE part of any success we had on defense last year (yes I know, "success on defense"). Nesta had his moments, but really nothing from the other DT spot/LBs/DBs other than a cameo here or there early in the season by Bubba. Sooooo many of our stops were literally due to Phillips wreaking havoc, and I don't think we have anyone who can truly replace him.

Then obviously the other variables are King's health and, to a lesser extent, Covid. If King is healthy we'll all feel great about the O, but that's not a given. And then regarding covid...I still feel we benefitted more than most teams from it this year. I think Manny did a good job of managing that and team morale/attitude through it for most of the season. I don't expect we'll be worse without it, but will other teams be better (i.e. do some of those close wins go the other way)?

1. Louisiana
2. UCLA
3. Miami

1. Miami

1. Louisiana
2. Clemson (yikes)
3. Coastal
4. App State
5. Miami

Which is y I said no excuse on not winning 10+ games and a rendezvous at the ACCCG. There’s literally no excuses left. We have the O (supposedly), we have an upgrade at DB coaching (supposedly), upgrade at DL coaching (supposedly), upgrade at defensive play calling (supposedly), upper classmen, most production returning (supposedly), lack of attrition, a favorable schedule....and King is supposed to be back fully healthy ready to rock & roll before our opening game.

What more can we want?

Which is y I said no excuse on not winning 10+ games and a rendezvous at the ACCCG. There’s literally no excuses left. We have the O (supposedly), we have an upgrade at DB coaching (supposedly), upgrade at DL coaching (supposedly), upgrade at defensive play calling (supposedly), upper classmen, most production returning (supposedly), lack of attrition, a favorable schedule....and King is supposed to be back fully healthy ready to rock & roll before our opening game.

What more can we want?
Lightning to strike a fourth time at the defensive end position.

Advertisement
On Special teams we lose our kicker but replace him with his highly touted little bro. Could be a net negative but if little bro can acclimate fast it could be a wash hopefully.

We bring back our punter who is one of the best and is going out there to prove he is the absolute best. net gain+.

We finally have guys who can catch a darn punt in Stevenson and I assume Rambo. net gain is huuuuuuge+++++++

Kickoff returns should be a bit better with Rambo too.+

Last edited:
Lets see how much improvement can be gotten by just having a full complement of spring and fall pratices. That will be the great reset for this team.

Bringing in an above average DC will make a significant difference too.

1. Louisiana
2. UCLA
3. Miami

1. Miami

1. Louisiana
2. Clemson (yikes)
3. Coastal
4. App State
5. Miami

Yeah we will only lose to Alabama by 28..

Advertisement
There's a lot to be excited about for next season. But we're going to miss Bevin and Phillips big time.

Yeah we will only lose to Alabama by 28..

At least we'll get a measure of ourselves. All Manny can do at this point is keep building. If he finalizes his defensive staff, and maybe adds a couple more chess pieces if the NCAA allows us to take more transfers, we could close that gap even further. And the rest of the schedule will look like pee wee football after that first game.

Advertisement

What more can we want?

Don’t think anyone on this board, the team and the administration think differently than you.

I like Brevin but it is not like we are going to miss him THAT much. He missed a lot of games.

Phillips will be a huge loss. Hopefully the youngsters step up but those are big shoes to fill.

We were a different team with Bevin. I love Mallory but he needs to take a huge step to be the play maker that Jordan was.

Advertisement
Back