Replacing Paul, EJ and Terry

Seriously, I think we will be fine! Like most have said, Grace and McCord add that depth we need. Figueroa is such a surprise that I don't think Terry or Paul would have seen the field much. Bond will likely play some LB/DE hybrid and Armbrister will log minutes. So long as no one gets hurt, we can afford to lose these 3 and stay strong at the position.

We'll see!

Advertisement
Another year where we are banking on first year guys or true freshmen to fill holes on D. Cant see 10 wins.

If Grace comes in anywhere around 220, he'll get a ton of playing time, may earn a starting spot by year's end, and lock down a position for years.

He's a natural LB. In the last 12 of so years, it's Rocky Mcintosh and Sean Spence as natural LBs. Grace has more range than both and a higher upside than Spence because he's nearly 6' 2" with long arms. He's probably not going to be as good against the run as Rocky was...at least early on. But, the game has also dramatically changed in terms of what is needed.

Another year where we are banking on first year guys or true freshmen to fill holes on D. Cant see 10 wins.

You are right but the talk of 10 wins from the get go was just some spring time kool aid sipping. We should be a 8-9 win team though. I just wanna eliminate losing to teams like UVA and Maryland.

You are right but the talk of 10 wins from the get go was just some spring time kool aid sipping. We should be a 8-9 win team though. I just wanna eliminate losing to teams like UVA and Maryland.

Eliminate those games and we win ten. Are we really gonna say that UNC and VT are better teams coming back than a UVA team you expect us to beat?

Advertisement
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1487276 said:

Eliminate those games and we win ten. Are we really gonna say that UNC and VT are better teams coming back than a UVA team you expect us to beat?

No but they arent the gimmes that Maryland or UVA should be, toss ups.

If Figs is as good as advertised and Bond is as good as we all hope, I don't like that logjam at SAM on our little hypothetical charts. McCord is one of our most talented kids. I'm hopeful that the coaches find a way to get all three of these guys on the field at the same time.

If Grace comes in anywhere around 220, he'll get a ton of playing time, may earn a starting spot by year's end, and lock down a position for years.

He's a natural LB. In the last 12 of so years, it's Rocky Mcintosh and Sean Spence as natural LBs. Grace has more range than both and a higher upside than Spence because he's nearly 6' 2" with long arms. He's probably not going to be as good against the run as Rocky was...at least early on. But, the game has also dramatically changed in terms of what is needed.

I would put Perryman in that class as well but I agree, Grace is going to be the real deal. I'm no film expert but when you watch Grace away from straight highlights, he moves through traffic and reacts almost effortlessly, like he's on rails. But even for a kid that played a bit undersized he hit with ferocity.

The game just looks like it comes easy to him. Just needs to keep working hard so he's ready for the physical battle at the next level.

Advertisement
Is Grace really nearly 6'2"? That is very encouraging, if so. I always thought he was one of those "I'm really barely 6'0" kids.

Is Grace really nearly 6'2"? That is very encouraging, if so. I always thought he was one of those "I'm really barely 6'0" kids.

Supposedly, he officially measured at 6' 1.5". He's got long arms, too. The fact he's wirey and runs/moves like a Safety has always thrown people off. The guy has everything LBs need in today's spread game. As a plus, he has a bad attitude on the field. Takes things personally.

I would put Perryman in that class as well but I agree, Grace is going to be the real deal. I'm no film expert but when you watch Grace away from straight highlights, he moves through traffic and reacts almost effortlessly, like he's on rails. But even for a kid that played a bit undersized he hit with ferocity.

The game just looks like it comes easy to him. Just needs to keep working hard so he's ready for the physical battle at the next level.

Like Perryman a lot, but he's more of a chase LB. His best plays in HS were chasing plays down. He's a contact guy. Perryman reminds me of Dexter Coakley more than any player has reminded me of another player. Both are guys who are playmakers and great making impact, but they're not as natural. That's why I didn't include him on the list with Spence and Rocky. If I had, I may have included Nate Harris (as crazy as it sounds now, I really liked him out of HS).

If Figs is as good as advertised and Bond is as good as we all hope, I don't like that logjam at SAM on our little hypothetical charts. McCord is one of our most talented kids. I'm hopeful that the coaches find a way to get all three of these guys on the field at the same time.

Mccord needs to be on the edge, going toward the passer. He's a LB in odd fronts, but he should be focused almost entirely on getting upfield.

Advertisement
Christ were we in the hole on D when Radio blew town. Goldens been bailing water since he arrived. Add in Goldens busts and the D is still in the hole for 2 more recruiting cycles.

From Rivals on Grace:

"He currently weighs 210 pounds and says Cane coaches said they want him at 225 before the season."

Grace could be in line for some major PT especially if can come in around 225.

If Grace comes in at 225 he's going to be on the field a lot. I thought the 1 thing that would slow him down was his weight, doesn't seem like that big an issue anymore.

Advertisement
Blue needs to get his head in the game. He has the physical tools, just needs the "Light" to come on.

We are thin, not in horrible shape, but have to stay healthy for sure.

Advertisement
Back