Replacing Paul, EJ and Terry

Ozone

Freshman
Premium
With Gionni Paul and EJ officially off the roster and now Gabe Terry most likely next off I am curious to see what kind of shuffling takes place at the Linebacker position. Of course the summer entry guys like Grace and Bond are given as immediate contributors. But I am almost certain Golden will scour the roster for possible candidates to fill the gap. One guy I like to possibly make the switch to LB is Ryheem Lockley. He is coming in as an athlete around 6'3 - 6'4 215-220 lbs. As a team we are more than fine at TE with Asanti, Clive, Beau, Standish and O'Donnell and at Safety with Jenkins, Bush, Carter and company. I have no insider information but it seems like a good fit on paper. But I realize the LB position takes a certain type of mental acumen and toughness that not all players have. What do you guys think? Any other possible candidates?

True Linebackers:
  1. Gaines
  2. Perryman
  3. Figs
  4. Kirby
  5. Blue
  6. Grace

DE/OLBs:
  1. Kain
  2. McCord
  3. Hoilett
  4. Bond

Nickel/Special Teams:
  1. Cornileus
  2. Armbrister

Advertisement
Lockley played LB in HS so he has some experience. Bush and Carter could play LB too but I want them at S.

AG and staff need to hit up the jucos again.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Based off of AQM's high school tape he might be able to swing it.

TBH I'm with the guy above. I think Terry comes back but, won't be needed unless we get bit by the injury bug.

DZP, Gaines, Kirby, Figs, plus the guys arriving in the summer oughta do us just fine. I think Bond has a chance to start at SAM.

SAM
Bond/Figs/McCord
MIKE
Kirby/Gaines
WILL
DZP/Cornileus/Grace

I think we'll be solid

EJ did something that directly hurt the team, i.e. missing meetings, practices, etc.

Terry didn't do anything that egregious, yet.

From Rivals on Grace:

"He currently weighs 210 pounds and says Cane coaches said they want him at 225 before the season."

Grace could be in line for some major PT especially if can come in around 225.

Advertisement
I am probably the only one but I was interested to see Armbrister's progression, sucks he missed the spring. He only played LB one year and got a lot of burn (out of necessity). Granted it wasn't always good but he still played a lot

The silver lining here is we will probably being playing nickel 60% of the time and wil only need 2 lb's on the field. Where you really feel the loss of Terry is on special teams, as he is a stud on these units.

We need our LBs to develop and stay healthy or it's going to be a bad defense again.

I love Denzel, but he gets hurt.

Gaines is a senior, he's okay, but where's the future NFL mike LB?

Kirby is young and needs to grow and stay healthy.

I do like 007.

And Figueroa made his presence known, but can he keep it up in the fall.

Advertisement
McCord has already made the full-time switch. I think Grace will see a lot of playing time. Also, I wonder if Cain might not come back into the picture. I never saw anything from Bond at LB other than pass rush, so I don't think he has any pass coverage experience. And as a Juco, I don't think he'll have enough time to develop the right technique to be a true LB, whereas Cain came from the LB spot.

Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;1487143 said:
Based off of AQM's high school tape he might be able to swing it.

TBH I'm with the guy above. I think Terry comes back but, won't be needed unless we get bit by the injury bug.

DZP, Gaines, Kirby, Figs, plus the guys arriving in the summer oughta do us just fine. I think Bond has a chance to start at SAM.

SAM
Bond/Figs/McCord
MIKE
Kirby/Gaines
WILL
DZP/Cornileus/Grace

I think we'll be solid

Just adding a few to this and switching it around a bit..

SAM
Bond/Cain/Figs/McCord

MIKE
Gaines/Kirby/Blue

WILL
DZP/Cornileus/Grace/Armbrister

I think the SR class steps up this year... I really believe in Gaines and Cain and think they will make the leap they need to make in order to cap off their SR season.

Last edited:
I am probably the only one but I was interested to see Armbrister's progression, sucks he missed the spring. He only played LB one year and got a lot of burn (out of necessity). Granted it wasn't always good but he still played a lot

I expect Gaines and Armbrister to have solid seasons. This staff has shown enough with their evaluations so far that a kid targeted by them shouldn't be written off so quickly.

Advertisement
Back