Remember Albert Jean-Louis?

RiDLer80

All-American
Add Al Louis-Jean to the list of Eagles heading to rookie mini camps.

The undrafted free agent, who left Boston College for the NFL Draft despite two years of eligibility remaining on his collegiate career, accepted an invitation to try out for the Chicago Bears when their camp commences later this week.

A Brockton, MA native, ALJ originally committed to Miami but flipped his commitment to stay closer to home with Boston College. Loaded with raw talent, he was a four-star commit who developed a great relationship with former Hurricane head coach Randy Shannon. Describing Shannon as a "father figure," he graduated high school in December with the intention of enrolling in Coral Gables early. But Shannon was fired by Miami that year, and ALJ withdrew as a result. After a short courtship that included schools like LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, and Oregon, he chose to come to BC after talking about how the coaching staff first started recruiting him as a sophomore.

Arriving on campus, he came with the reputation of being the shut down corner BC never really had. As a true freshman, he played in nine games and quickly became one of the starters in the Eagle defensive backfield. He averaged just over a tackle per game, registering 15, 11 of which were solo, with one pick. After missing his sophomore season due to injury, he redshirted and arrived back on campus this past year projecting to one of the top corners on the roster.

But for some odd reason he fell off the map, starting the season on the inactive list after being suspended for the first game for a violation of team rules. He never really recovered, missing four of the team's first five games and finishing the year out of the starting lineup behind Manny Asprilla and Bryce Jones. After not playing in the bowl game against Arizona, ALJ chose to leave the program and was named one of the underclassmen declaring for the NFL Draft.

What was curious about his decision is that he chose not to transfer but instead go to the NFL Draft. Despite being speedy enough to register a 4.5 in the 40-yard dash, it was almost a foregone conclusion he wouldn't be drafted. He hadn't developed remotely close to enough to be an impact coverage corner, and the film on him from college revealed a guy who had the tools but never really developed.

I would've liked to have seen what ALJ could've done under four years in one system, but that simply didn't happen. This is a case where a guy saw too many systems and his development completely stunted. He loved Miami's system, but Randy Shannon got fired. He came to BC because of his familiarity with the coaching staff, and then they got fired. Quite simply, there are some guys who draw terrible luck in college, and ALJ was one of them. So by my estimates, he took his ball and went off for the NFL.

On top of it all, he fell victim to poor developmental and schematic coaching. Under Frank Spaziani, Louis-Jean played in one of the worst passing defenses in the FBS. With a scouting report of a guy who could be a lockdown corner or converted safety, BC's pass defense under Spaz left a cushion for a tackle, something ALJ couldn't do. He needed to be up on the receiver's grill, and he needed to be developed with the intangibles to get into that system. Despite being completely athletic, Spaz did nothing to develop him and instead put him in a system designed for his failure. By the time Don Brown rolled around on defense, the train here had completely derailed.

I wish Al nothing but luck at the pro level, and I hope he finds a home at some level professionally. But he's a guy who had immense talent and projected very well back in high school, then got dealt the worst possible cards to become a lockdown corner.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/nfl-draft-results-2014/2014/5/12/5711620/al-louis-jean-signs-with-chicago-bears

What do these kids be thinking? Leaving to be an UFA? I guess Miami isn't the only school this happens to.

Advertisement
No UM isn't... That has been stated before UF had a few for the past couple of years. FSU had Wilder this year... UCF had Storm... It happens everywhere...

Advertisement
confused him w AJL, but doing a bit of research. Angello Jean Louis (marshall) supposedly sat out this past year bc he is an academic non qualifier and ppl thought its bc Miami has high standards.

confused him w AJL, but doing a bit of research. Angello Jean Louis (marshall) supposedly sat out this past year bc he is an academic non qualifier and ppl thought its bc Miami has high standards.

Everyone knew that kid couldn't hack it in school. It was never about Miami with him. But when a kid gets held up by Miami and then UF lets him in no problem that is an issue.

Advertisement
I remember both these guys. AJL is going to be a star, kid has that chip on his shoulder. If that kid can keep it together in the classroom he'll get himself drafted. He is the kind of kid we NEED to figure out how to get enrolled in the future. The kid from B.C. just seems like he has no leadership in his life and its obviously not working out for him, didn't Wilder Jr just leave FSU early and not get drafted???? Thought he was only a Jr. too...lol

Advertisement
38 of the 112 (or something like that it's 5:30am and I'm too lazy to find the stat) underclass men that declared went undrafted, including such high round projections as Anthony Johnson and Tiny Richardson. The NFL needs to take a page out of the NBA's book and leave these kids a window to head back to school later in the draft process after consulting with teams.

38 of the 112 (or something like that it's 5:30am and I'm too lazy to find the stat) underclass men that declared went undrafted, including such high round projections as Anthony Johnson and Tiny Richardson. The NFL needs to take a page out of the NBA's book and leave these kids a window to head back to school later in the draft process after consulting with teams.

Players need to not be greedy and stupid too.

Doubt Wilder was an economics issue. More likely an eligibility, wore out his welcome issue.

Add Al Louis-Jean to the list of Eagles heading to rookie mini camps.

The undrafted free agent, who left Boston College for the NFL Draft despite two years of eligibility remaining on his collegiate career, accepted an invitation to try out for the Chicago Bears when their camp commences later this week.

A Brockton, MA native, ALJ originally committed to Miami but flipped his commitment to stay closer to home with Boston College. Loaded with raw talent, he was a four-star commit who developed a great relationship with former Hurricane head coach Randy Shannon. Describing Shannon as a "father figure," he graduated high school in December with the intention of enrolling in Coral Gables early. But Shannon was fired by Miami that year, and ALJ withdrew as a result. After a short courtship that included schools like LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida, and Oregon, he chose to come to BC after talking about how the coaching staff first started recruiting him as a sophomore.

Arriving on campus, he came with the reputation of being the shut down corner BC never really had. As a true freshman, he played in nine games and quickly became one of the starters in the Eagle defensive backfield. He averaged just over a tackle per game, registering 15, 11 of which were solo, with one pick. After missing his sophomore season due to injury, he redshirted and arrived back on campus this past year projecting to one of the top corners on the roster.

But for some odd reason he fell off the map, starting the season on the inactive list after being suspended for the first game for a violation of team rules. He never really recovered, missing four of the team's first five games and finishing the year out of the starting lineup behind Manny Asprilla and Bryce Jones. After not playing in the bowl game against Arizona, ALJ chose to leave the program and was named one of the underclassmen declaring for the NFL Draft.

What was curious about his decision is that he chose not to transfer but instead go to the NFL Draft. Despite being speedy enough to register a 4.5 in the 40-yard dash, it was almost a foregone conclusion he wouldn't be drafted. He hadn't developed remotely close to enough to be an impact coverage corner, and the film on him from college revealed a guy who had the tools but never really developed.

I would've liked to have seen what ALJ could've done under four years in one system, but that simply didn't happen. This is a case where a guy saw too many systems and his development completely stunted. He loved Miami's system, but Randy Shannon got fired. He came to BC because of his familiarity with the coaching staff, and then they got fired. Quite simply, there are some guys who draw terrible luck in college, and ALJ was one of them. So by my estimates, he took his ball and went off for the NFL.

On top of it all, he fell victim to poor developmental and schematic coaching. Under Frank Spaziani, Louis-Jean played in one of the worst passing defenses in the FBS. With a scouting report of a guy who could be a lockdown corner or converted safety, BC's pass defense under Spaz left a cushion for a tackle, something ALJ couldn't do. He needed to be up on the receiver's grill, and he needed to be developed with the intangibles to get into that system. Despite being completely athletic, Spaz did nothing to develop him and instead put him in a system designed for his failure. By the time Don Brown rolled around on defense, the train here had completely derailed.

I wish Al nothing but luck at the pro level, and I hope he finds a home at some level professionally. But he's a guy who had immense talent and projected very well back in high school, then got dealt the worst possible cards to become a lockdown corner.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/nfl-draft-results-2014/2014/5/12/5711620/al-louis-jean-signs-with-chicago-bears

What do these kids be thinking? Leaving to be an UFA? I guess Miami isn't the only school this happens to.

some kids just aren't meant for college, or holding down a job.

Advertisement

Players need to not be greedy and stupid too.

Doubt Wilder was an economics issue. More likely an eligibility, wore out his welcome issue.

They ARE* stupid though, and even the smart ones can fall prey easily to agents, the NFL draft board giving inflated grades, and the 24 hour news cycle that starts projecting these kids as 1st rounders when they are freshmen.

It's really easy to say "they should just listen to the right people and ignore the noise" but that is overly simplistic and reductive. A lot of these kids have weak support systems,or none at all, and it becomes really easy to fall in to the belief that you are worth more than you really are in the marketplace if it's ALL you are hearing from all sides.

After the combine, there should be a window where they can do individual team workouts and keep their remaining eligibility up until, say 3 weeks before the draft, as long as they don't retain an agent. I know it's not "the way it's always been done", but it would curb some of the power that agents have AND it would be another move on behalf of the players for the NCAA, which has a lot of ground to make up on that front.

*When I say they are all stupid, I mean that they are college kids. College kids are ******* dumb. They have little to no understanding of how the world works. I think of how utterly ignorant I was when I graduated...and I have a GREAT support system....and it makes me literally shake my head.

Last edited:
These young men have no father figure at home to help them and advise them so I'm not shocked most of them make bad decision after bad decision, it's sad

How ironic.

I remember both these guys. AJL is going to be a star, kid has that chip on his shoulder. If that kid can keep it together in the classroom he'll get himself drafted. He is the kind of kid we NEED to figure out how to get enrolled in the future. The kid from B.C. just seems like he has no leadership in his life and its obviously not working out for him, didn't Wilder Jr just leave FSU early and not get drafted???? Thought he was only a Jr. too...lol

Yep. He's an idiot.

Advertisement
Back