Regardless of who is the HC for 2022....Portal

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
Whoever is coach for next season, they're gonna need to ride the portal like Zorro so we can have a successful season.

I would only bring in quality this recruiting season, and then drag in a flood of portal kids to fill out the roster and most notably in the LB room and the OL room.

Thank God for the portal! It actually gives me a little hope that we can start winning again next year.

Advertisement
Whoever is coach for next season, they're gonna need to ride the portal like Zorro so we can have a successful season.

I would only bring in quality this recruiting season, and then drag in a flood of portal kids to fill out the roster and most notably in the LB room and the OL room.

Thank God for the portal! It actually gives me a little hope that we can start winning again next year.
This is the great thing about the portal it helps teams with a coaching change. Look what Mel tucker did at Mich State in a year 40 new guys. 20 recruits 20 portal guys. Completely change the team. Hopefully the new guy next (assuming Manny is eventually fired) takes advantage of it

Advertisement
Are you counting on couch transferring?because if you mean the draft that would be pretty silly
Sillier than bandy going to the league? Remember a coaching change or turmoil lends itself to mass exodus. Ivey rique and couch leave you got Clarke dunson Curtis. That’s it. Need massive portal help and a class of 22 Corners

Portal needs for 2022 (imo):

- QB; I’m not sold on TVD or Garcia

- WR; For the first time a long time we actually have a group of young burgeoning WR’s & the future looks bright, but even with that said, our best WR’s with the exception of Ahmmon Richards have all been transfers (JT4, KJ Osborn & Rambo), I think we should take another vet wide out to help bolster the young guns next year.

- TE; Big fan of Arroyo & Brantley upside, Mammarelli is still a question mark having been injured for seemingly his entire time at Miami & with the regression of Mallory we definitely could use a legit portal TE.

- OL; The OLine remains broken & the lack of development is alarming. Need an infusion of plug & play talent at all 5 spots, not impressed with any of’em.

- DE; Definitely need a legit pass rusher to pair with Harvey, but more importantly need a DLine coach actually worth a ****. I was against rehiring Jess this year because he’s a lackluster recruiter, but on top of that has been an average coach as well IMO. Despite him being a fan favorite, the DLine has been *** this year imo.

- LB; I mean does anything need to be said? Again, the lack of development has been alarming.

- CB; There’s some workable talent in the room with Couch & Clarke & we’ll see what we have with Malik Curtis. A lot will depend on if Stevenson decides to leave or not, I think he should stay another year but who knows how that goes. But I would still bring in another Corner for insurance, we could always use another solid consistent cover Corner, as of right now we have a lot of question marks in the CB room.

Last edited:
Jess Simpson seems to have gotten in the good graces here because of that 2018 line. They were good. Played the run and rushed the passer. This year the talent is down. That being said send him on the boat with manure

Advertisement
Not only do we need OL, we need a different type. I want us back to the zone blocking scheme we used under Golden with the stretch run.

- WR; For the first time a long time we actually have a group of young burgeoning WR’s & the future looks bright, but even with that said, our best WR’s with the exception of Ahmmon Richardson have all been transfers (JT4, KJ Osborn & Rambo), I think we should taken another vet wide out to help bolster the young guns next year.

- TE; Big fan of Arroyo & Brantley upside, Mammarelli is still a question mark having been injured for seemingly his entire time at Miami & with the regression of Mallory we definitely could use a legit portal TE.

- OL; The OLine remains broken & the lack of development is alarming. Need an infusion of plug & play talent at all 5 spots, not impressed with any of’em.

- DE; Definitely need a legit pass rusher to pair with Harvey, but more importantly need a DLine coach actually worth a ****. I was against rehiring Jess this year because he’s a lackluster recruiter, but on top of that has been an average coach as well IMO. Despite him being a fan favorite, the DLine has been *** this year imo.

- LB; I mean does anything need to be said? Again, the lack of development has been alarming.

- CB; There’s some workable talent in the room with Couch & Clarke & we’ll see what we have with Malik Curtis. A lot will depend on if Stevenson decides to leave or not, I think he should stay another year but who knows how that goes. But I would still bring in another Corner for insurance, we could always use another solid consistent cover Corner, as of right now we have a lot of question marks in the CB room.
Couple small items:

- I would obviously think you need to see more live action, but I’ve seen potential out of both TVD and Garcia to not want to stunt their growth further. Just my opinion.

- Was JT4 really a transfer? Even if he wasn’t, I think your overall point still stands.

In any event, glad to see you posting again!

- WR; For the first time a long time we actually have a group of young burgeoning WR’s & the future looks bright, but even with that said, our best WR’s with the exception of Ahmmon Richardson have all been transfers (JT4, KJ Osborn & Rambo), I think we should taken another vet wide out to help bolster the young guns next year.

Who's Ahmon Richardson? 😜

The DL is better this year with less talent. I think he is a good coach.

They gave up 4.5 per rush last year, 3.99 per rush this year. Issues have been perimeter tackling the most.

I think the obvious positions for added portal players would be:

TE
DL
LB
CB

Advertisement

That puts the total numbers around 10-12 portal kids which sounds about right

OL, OL , OL , and OL. Anything else in addition to that is a plus. For too long we've struggled up front offensively. Players have shown promise here or there but none of them are consistent and repeatedly make the same mistakes. This needs to priority number 1, 2, and 3

Couple small items:

- I would obviously think you need to see more live action, but I’ve seen potential out of both TVD and Garcia to not want to stunt their growth further. Just my opinion.

- Was JT4 really a transfer? Even if he wasn’t, I think your overall point still stands.

In any event, glad to see you posting again!
I wouldn't count him as one. Regardless, the real question is--and maybe I'm getting old-- but was he that much better than other WRs?

Advertisement
There should be 30+ new players in 2022. The only way to do this right is to start over again clean. If you are 4 or more years out of HS then get to stepping. The incoming HC should demand these departures:

QB King, Matocha
RB Harris
WR Harley, Rambo, Wiggins, Pope
TE Mallory
OT Williams, Oluwaseun, Hillery
OG Donaldson, Scaife, Reed, Traore
C Gaynor, Griffith
DE McCloud, Johnson
DT Silvera, Ford, Miller
LB Frierson, Carter, Jennings, Steed
DB Bolden, Hall, Blades, Ivey

That may be - but a strong disciplinarian can pull ten pounds of effort out of a two-pound sack.

Advertisement
Back