Reese Poffenbarger (UAlbany QB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do I.

But if it's a choice between taking Poffenbarger/Tagovailoa and rolling with Emory/Jacurri, I'll be glad to have him as depth.

People are making him out to be the worst QB ever.
You misunderstand. The fans were repeatedly told by the staff, media, and insiders, that we were taking lowly rated project HS QBs because it was better to spend to buy proven portal transfers. We were told that we were close to landing one of the top rated portal QBs. We Were told we didn’t need to buy any unproven portal QBs like others had to. We were told “we have our QB” and to stop worrying that all the others were going to our competition. We were told that our QB would help land top WRs. That was all BS. We couldn’t land a top HS QB because of Mario and his QB-killer reputation. We could not buy a top portal QB even though we were the high bidder, again because of Caveman ball. Now we are being told that an undersized FCS QB that looked like dog crap when he played low level D1 teams is not a project, he is a great fit for our offense. He is the 51st rated transfer QB this year. He had ONE commit able offer coming out of high school-Old Dominion. He couldn’t make it there and he transferred to D2. He was OK there. He probably will not beat out anyone on our roster and we will have done ZERO to improve our roster. Well I call BS. Mario was a crap “buddy” hire. And now we see why his record is sub .500.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Rogers was the kid I wanted but I don't blame him for going to Washington. McCord should have been the pivot after the first two kids visited. Unsure about Jefferson and there never seemed to be reciprocal interest on either side. Leonard was always going to ND and I personally think he's a bit overrated. Blake Shapen, who wound up at Miss St. was a kid I like. McCall at NC State could be decent but he looked fairly pedestrian this past year. It's a lot of unknown and mid beyond.
Would’ve loved McCord but unfortunately he entered the portal to go to Syracuse specifically.

Would he have?

Because he was the same lazy kid at his next stop too.

The "TVD sucks" crowd should remember that even after a season of TVD playing poorly under a bad OC, Saban still wanted him; and then after playing for a mediocre OC this season, Phil Longo at Wisconsin still wanted him. And all this with an injury history.

The only school that wanted a healthy Williams was Garden Valley Community College.

As for Hufflepuff, getting him and Taulia would be fine. I know Emory Williams hurt his non throwing shoulder but sometimes injury recovery doesn't go as planned, so there may be a need for a third active QB on the roster behind Taulia and Brown.

Last edited:
You misunderstand. The fans were repeatedly told by the staff, media, and insiders, that we were taking lowly rated project HS QBs because it was better to spend to buy proven portal transfers. We were told that we were close to landing one of the top rated portal QBs. We Were told we didn’t need to buy any unproven portal QBs like others had to. We were told “we have our QB” and to stop worrying that all the others were going to our competition. We were told that our QB would help land top WRs. That was all BS. We couldn’t land a top HS QB because of Mario and his QB-killer reputation. We could not buy a top portal QB even though we were the high bidder, again because of Caveman ball. Now we are being told that an undersized BCS QB that looked like dog crap when he played low level D1 teams is not a project, he is a great fit for our offense. Well I call BS. Mario was a crap “buddy” hire. And now we see why his record is sub .500.
I agree with most of this except this isn’t the reason his record is 500. While recruiting a QB is part of it, his record is 500 because of his game day coRching and influence on the offense including OC hires. He’s had adequate enough QBs with the talent he gets to be better than 500. He’s an awful game coRch.

People in here pretending that we don't have the top QB prospect in GA committed for next cycle. What's the narrative there? Sucks because UGA wasn't all over him? Kiffin offered so I'd love to hear the spin.

Advertisement
Mario was not a crap buddy hire come on now. He had one of the best resumes in college football.

Now arguing that he’s going to fritter away his momentum and could continue the two decades of mediocrity because he can’t develop or land a good QB and plays bro offense — I’ll agree that’s a bigtime concern.

The legion of posters openly rooting for this guy to sign elsewhere are already assembling
Who’s rooting for us to lose our QB commit? Counting him as done when it’s a year out is not the same as him actually signing with us in December 2024.

See Dylan Raiola and Jaden Rashada as recent QB references, the former of which flipped from UGA two months ago.

Advertisement
You misunderstand. The fans were repeatedly told by the staff, media, and insiders, that we were taking lowly rated project HS QBs because it was better to spend to buy proven portal transfers. We were told that we were close to landing one of the top rated portal QBs. We Were told we didn’t need to buy any unproven portal QBs like others had to. We were told “we have our QB” and to stop worrying that all the others were going to our competition. We were told that our QB would help land top WRs. That was all BS. We couldn’t land a top HS QB because of Mario and his QB-killer reputation. We could not buy a top portal QB even though we were the high bidder, again because of Caveman ball. Now we are being told that an undersized BCS QB that looked like dog crap when he played low level D1 teams is not a project, he is a great fit for our offense. Well I call BS. Mario was a crap “buddy” hire. And now we see why his record is sub .500.
Do you have any receipts for anyone saying we were taking project QBs out of high school because we were planning on taking portal QBs?

I believe the plan and hopes for all of us were that TVD was “our guy” and that Emory and Jacurri would have the proper time to be the follow-up guy and that Nickel would be after.

Nobody knew that TVD would turn out to be as bi-pilor mentally as he is on the field. He just can’t get out of his own head and isn’t the vocal leader this team needs. He has all the physical gifts of just about any of the QBs going pro this year. Hence, all the preseason draft projections the last couple years before the actual games started.

Now you have an injury with Emory. You expect him to come back just as strong and prepared but that just isn’t the case for every kid and football.

We went guns blazing after “our targets” and both were extremely interested. One turned down us (as of right now) to go pro. The other for OSU a school that like or not has been a better program the last two decades let alone last few years.

Where you crying when all of these high rated HS recruits committed to play his “caveman “ ball?

Nobody is saying this kid is a prefect fit.:: far from it, but we’re not saying he’s garbage. Did you even watch the film? Did you see what time he had in the game against the two FBS programs? Did you also see the two TDs she had against those same programs. No need to crap on the kid because you’re in your feelings about Mario…..

Mario was not a crap buddy hire come on now. He had one of the best resumes in college football.

Now arguing that he’s going to fritter away his momentum and could continue the two decades of mediocrity because he can’t develop or land a good QB and plays bro offense — I’ll agree that’s a bigtime concern.
Read the Oregon reports on him. His seat was hot and many were thrilled to ship him off to Gables. His reputation rested on one win at *

What other top programs were contemplating hiring Mario? He has a career .500 record and won a very weak PAC 12 with a future first round NFL QB that he inherited. It’s revisionist history to claim he had one of the best resumes in college football. He is only here because he’s a former player and the Columbus mafia wanted him here. They’ve wanted him here since he was at FIU.

Advertisement
Who’s rooting for us to lose our QB commit? Counting him as done when it’s a year out is not the same as him actually signing with us in December 2024.

See Dylan Raiola and Jaden Rashada as recent QB references, the former of which flipped from UGA two months ago.
Fair examples but QB's historically tend to commit early and stay committed, save for coaching changes. Rashada was open chasing the NIL bag and committed to three different schools throughout the process. Raiola wound up at the school his family played for.

Not saying it won't happen with Nickel but things would really have to go south next year for him to start looking around.

Do you have any receipts for anyone saying we were taking project QBs out of high school because we were planning on taking portal QBs?

I believe the plan and hopes for all of us were that TVD was “our guy” and that Emory and Jacurri would have the proper time to be the follow-up guy and that Nickel would be after.

Nobody knew that TVD would turn out to be as bi-pilor mentally as he is on the field. He just can’t get out of his own head and isn’t the vocal leader this team needs. He has all the physical gifts of just about any of the QBs going pro this year. Hence, all the preseason draft projections the last couple years before the actual games started.

Now you have an injury with Emory. You expect him to come back just as strong and prepared but that just isn’t the case for every kid and football.

We went guns blazing after “our targets” and both were extremely interested. One turned down us (as of right now) to go pro. The other for OSU a school that like or not has been a better program the last two decades let alone last few years.

Where you crying when all of these high rated HS recruits committed to play his “caveman “ ball?

Nobody is saying this kid is a prefect fit.:: far from it, but we’re not saying he’s garbage. Did you even watch the film? Did you see what time he had in the game against the two FBS programs? Did you also see the two TDs she had against those same programs. No need to crap on the kid because you’re in your feelings about Mario…..
Lol a 2023 member asking for receipts…….I guess every D1 program has overlooked (both at graduation and now in the portal) the skills you see in his TWO tds…….

Advertisement
He was 23 and 9 in the now defunct PAC…..
The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back