Reese Poffenbarger (UAlbany QB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Based on how it appears, I’d guess that none of them had interest in us.
Finn and Rourke wanted quick landing spots, and wouldn’t have entertained being slow played while Ward was dancing with us and saying all the right things. We never had any real interest in Jefferson, from what I understand. Truth be told, the portal for QBs was much more active last year, when a ton of P5 starters were in it. This year was slim pickens.

As I said on the other thread, he's a super intriguing candidate. The highlights are impressive. He's also a leader and a winner, which people on this board discount way too much IMO. But what's not shown on the highlights are his 13 interceptions and a crazy number of sacks and TFLs. I'd need to watch a few of his games if they're available on YouTube to really get a full picture.

Right now, I only see Salter or Tagovailoa as above the line options. And it's more likely than not that Taulia gets denied a waiver. Really bad situation to be in.
He played FCS competition. He had a couple of games against G5 opponents and was terrible.

Advertisement
Watched his highlights and a tweet with him doing some pretty impressive dunks on the basketball court. Looks to have plus athleticism for his size. Play style looks a bit like Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma. Doesn’t have plus arm strength and his highlights have a good amount of 50/50 balls. Also didn’t look like he had the greatest line so I’d definitely need to see more to assess the turnover #s

Advertisement
Fans only look at star ratings and level of competition.

What fans fail to understand is that it doesn't matter what level you play at for the QB position.

The QB doesn't block, doesn't tackle, and seldom runs. The QB makes decisions and throws the ball with precision to a target. That's the job.

Forget ratings. Forget stats. Forget highlights. The game film doesn't lie. The people that have broken down his game film say this young man is a baller.

He'd be the 2nd choice behind Salter.

I like this guy for multiple reasons.

He has experience and skills.

Secondly, we need another QB regardless of whether he starts.

Lastly, I want a fair competition for JB and Emory. If Salter comes in, then he's going to be named the starter.

I'll take either Salter or Reese aka "Professor Burger."

If JB continues to develop and beats them out, then we roll with JB.

I think Emory redshirts in 2024 like JB did in 2023.

Last edited:
Finn and Rourke wanted quick landing spots, and wouldn’t have entertained being slow played while Ward was dancing with us and saying all the right things. We never had any real interest in Jefferson, from what I understand. Truth be told, the portal for QBs was much more active last year, when a ton of P5 starters were in it. This year was slim pickens.
The uncertainty of the portal is what made some of the arguments put forward over the summer about not perusing bigtime HS QBs and instead saving $$$ for portal QBs nonsensical. The demand for impact portal QBs so far outweighs the supply.

This is why you can't just watch highlights. You would think Jarren Williams was a stud by watching this. All QBs look good in their highlights lol.

Absolutely. In this case, I know of one person who has broken down his film and says he can ball.

Dawson isn't selecting random QBs from the portal looking at highlights. He's break down film of QBs that fit what he wants in his offense.

Advertisement
The uncertainty of the portal is what made some of the arguments put forward over the summer about not perusing bigtime HS QBs and instead saving $$$ for portal QBs nonsensical. The demand for impact portal QBs so far outweighs the supply.
The portal should be a stop gap. You have to develop your high school recruits. You can't sh*t on your own recruits.

Look at Norvell. As much praise as he gets, he's developed very few of his own recruits. He shopped for a portal QB after Rodemaker waited his turn to be a 2-year starter. Rodemaker should have been developed into a starting role.

Now, Norvell lost Rodemaker and Duffy to the portal leaving him with only 1 scholarship QB plus DJ U and his incoming 2024 signee.

Last edited:
The problem I have with Puffenburger is we turned down Dante Moore and Malachi Nelson because we wanted a proven, sure thing. 2024 was too important and we needed to win now.

Well no disrespect to UAlbany, but FCS football is barely above highschool level competition. The adjustment to the ACC for him will be massive… windows close a lot faster, the speed of the game. I basically view him as a high school recruit given the competition he’s played.

Contrast that with Taulia. He has proven himself against BETTER competition than he will play at Miami. He won’t be facing Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan here. If anythin, the speed of the game will slow down and we can reliably say he’ll match or exceed his performance at Maryland here at Miami
Well. He played at same school as Jared Verse.

Advertisement
Agreed. But you also have to bring in high quality HS recruits to develop, not projects in consecutive classes like we’ve done with Emory and Judd.
Why do you consider them projects? All QB must be developed. There was no 5-star freshman QB that started or finished the year as a starter.

Neither Ohio State or Florida will start their 5-star QB recruits next? Are they projects? Yes. Every QB is. Every QB must be developed. Some develop quicker than others.

Mario took Anthony Brown and CJ Verdell to the horseshoe and bullied OSU with CJ Stroud, C. Olave & JS-N.

The QB only needs to be a game manager who can keep defenses honest, IF, we can get high-level RB production.

TVD had such a bad year that I believe there's a general over-compensatory reaction to the QB situation, but we need a very good game manager on the roster to elevate the floor before we worry about the superstar that will take us to the ceiling.
Get Q from Ole Miss and a solid QB and we win. Jk don’t get Q lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back