Reese Poffenbarger (UAlbany QB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, I don't believe for a second that Mario is bringing this guy in as a starter. I think he's looking at the QB room and sees the need for depth. We had one QB for our bowl game.

I'm sure someone is gonna question why Poff would give up a starting job at Albany to sit the bench at Miami. Because its Albany and this is Miami.

Advertisement
Which QBs were just straight up not interested that “you know” we reached out to seriously?? Only person Cribby mentioned was Salter having a phone call but he stayed at Liberty.
Cant say beyond what was said on the board.

Do you not find it plausible that Mario reached out to more than one QB who said not interested?

People in here pretending that we don't have the top QB prospect in GA committed for next cycle. What's the narrative there? Sucks because UGA wasn't all over him? Kiffin offered so I'd love to hear the spin.

I’m hoping he sticks but I’ll brag on this once the ink dries..

Yeah. He's rated an 86.

He's behind guys like Mario miss Ty Thompson, *** assault defendant Jayden de Laura, FSU castoffs Rodemaker and Duffy and fellow FCS transfer Sluka. He's dozens of spots behind guys canesinsight laughed at other schools for taking, like Uiagalelei, the limp noodled Will Rogers and TVD.
Over It Abandon Thread GIF

Advertisement
Cant say beyond what was said on the board.

Do you not find it plausible that Mario reached out to more than one QB who said not interested?
I’m sure there where QBs that were contacted to gauge interest level, expectations, NIL requests.

Almost all of these QBs were/are likely requesting a starting spot now. It’s the reason a lot of them are moving.

I’m just not sure Mario would guarantee any of them outside of the top 5. And I think he picked the ones out of the top 5 he wanted. The others already had places lined up. I could be completely wrong on this but I believe it’s a main reason we weren’t also talking to guys like Nelson, Moore or others.::

You’re really that down on Williams? And for that sakes Brown?

I mean again Brown lost to Rutgers with half our starting O and D out. He was playing his first real game time in over a year.

I think we could take a proven playmaker there but no player is a sure thing or going to guarantee 10 wins. Look at Caleb and USC this last year.
Brown has the look of a superstar until he throws the ball 5 yards off target. Williams is nothing more than a average college player. He may lose us a game, but he is unlikely to win one. USC had more holes than last year’s cast net. It is very frustrating because we all saw we had no better options than an injured and shell-shocked TVD. Losing to Sunbelt Billy could snowball and losing to Portal Mike would give FSU more to take kids from us. While having a solid B level QB could get this roster into a 12 team playoff.

I’m sure there where QBs that were contacted to gauge interest level, expectations, NIL requests.

Almost all of these QBs were/are likely requesting a starting spot now. It’s the reason a lot of them are moving.

I’m just not sure Mario would guarantee any of them outside of the top 5. And I think he picked the ones out of the top 5 he wanted. The others already had places lined up. I could be completely wrong on this but I believe it’s a main reason we weren’t also talking to guys like Nelson, Moore or others.::
Yeah, I have no idea on those guys. I think he was pretty focused on Ward first and foremost.

You misunderstand. The fans were repeatedly told by the staff, media, and insiders, that we were taking lowly rated project HS QBs because it was better to spend to buy proven portal transfers. We were told that we were close to landing one of the top rated portal QBs. We Were told we didn’t need to buy any unproven portal QBs like others had to. We were told “we have our QB” and to stop worrying that all the others were going to our competition. We were told that our QB would help land top WRs. That was all BS. We couldn’t land a top HS QB because of Mario and his QB-killer reputation. We could not buy a top portal QB even though we were the high bidder, again because of Caveman ball. Now we are being told that an undersized BCS QB that looked like dog crap when he played low level D1 teams is not a project, he is a great fit for our offense. He is the 51st rated transfer QB this year. He had ONE commit able offer coming out of high school-Old Dominion. He couldn’t make it there and he transferred to D2. He was OK there. He probably will not beat out anyone on our roster and we will have done ZERO to improve our roster. Well I call BS. Mario was a crap “buddy” hire. And now we see why his record is sub .500.
No other team got Ward either. He has an inflated opinion of his ability and instead of capitalizing on a big NIL year along with his NFL earnings, he's chosen to go out in a QB heavy year where he probably won't be in the top 10 QBs drafted.

This also assumes we have all the information about the situation and the QBs who transferred. I assure you we don't.

I'm not saying the staff played this well, but maybe just not as bad as this board would have you believe.

Advertisement
Brown has the look of a superstar until he throws the ball 5 yards off target. Williams is nothing more than a average college player. He may lose us a game, but he is unlikely to win one. USC had more holes than last year’s cast net. It is very frustrating because we all saw we had no better options than an injured and shell-shocked TVD. Losing to Sunbelt Billy could snowball and losing to Portal Mike would give FSU more to take kids from us. While having a solid B level QB could get this roster into a 12 team playoff.
Ii can understand the frustration. I was really hoping for Ward and believe it would have meant playoffs.

Mario sent his best package and welcoming party out and believed it had him.:: and likely did until the NFL agents/scouts got into his head.

I just see something different in Emory than you I suppose. I just fear he may not be the same after injury. Despite it being his non throwing arm. All football players recover from serious injury differently. Getting back to optimal form and maintaining strength/endurance/mental acumen of the offense is difficult.

Love when UM "fans" use the same nonsense arguments FSU anf UF fans use. The "career .500" coach when we hired him of course discounts Mario taking the worst FBS team in the country and building it up to its first ever bowl game and first conference title, which required a few years of bad records until the team could be built up.
You’re leaving out the part where he got fired after going 3 - 9. And yes, I am a “UM fan” because I want to see the program return to glory. I prioritize that over hiring a “Miami guy”.

Advertisement
People in here pretending that we don't have the top QB prospect in GA committed for next cycle. What's the narrative there? Sucks because UGA wasn't all over him? Kiffin offered so I'd love to hear the spin.
What does a 2025 kid, have anything to do with 2024 and the current stable of mediocre QBs that we have?

Plus, it’s likely that he won’t be ready to play until 2026

Last edited:
Advertisement
No other team got Ward either. He has an inflated opinion of his ability and instead of capitalizing on a big NIL year along with his NFL earnings, he's chosen to go out in a QB heavy year where he probably won't be in the top 10 QBs drafted.

This also assumes we have all the information about the situation and the QBs who transferred. I assure you we don't.

I'm not saying the staff played this well, but maybe just not as bad as this board would have you believe.
That whole situation read to me of his pops being the defacto advisor pumping his sons ego into the stratosphere in hopes of his son getting the best pay day that he can get a piece of

Read the Oregon reports on him. His seat was hot and many were thrilled to ship him off to Gables. His reputation rested on one win at *
💯

Everything they talked about Mario was “he went in and won at Ohio State, bro.”

Anyone calling for this kid because of his stats or his potential or because “Cam Ward was from an FCS school and he was great at Wash State, bro” is really a big time slurping homer.

I wish people would stop using an outlier result as the predictor for future success.

This kid sucks until he proves it at this level. Plain and simple.

💯

Everything they talked about Mario was “he went in and won at Ohio State, bro.”

Anyone calling for this kid because of his stats or his potential or because “Cam Ward was from an FCS school and he was great at Wash State, bro” is really a big time slurping homer.

I wish people would stop using an outlier result as the predictor for future success.

This kid sucks until he proves it at this level. Plain and simple.
missing on ward and a top tier qb is really bad, and nobody on this board can try to spin it

landing a top tier qb certainly would have helped, but he still ultimately is graded on wins/losses and there's still possibility for a great 2024 season with whoever is at the qb helm

anything less Than 9/10 wins next year and things will start getting loud I'm sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back