Reed And Dorsey Interested In Being Assistants

I think he can be a good coach but I wouldn't have him just take over a position. Let him learn a little.

:puzzled:

This isn't the NBA. Just being thrown into a coaching position and being in charge of a group isn't a good idea. We really don't know how serious he even is about coaching. He isn't coaching anyone now, even though I am sure he has been offered to do it, and now we know that he would coach at Miami because he knows there will be jobs available soon. I'm not saying to not hire him but let him get his feet wet and see if he likes the pool.

Advertisement
Need a vet D coordinator that knows what hes doing. If you have great coordinators, I feel comfortable having guys like Reed coach dbs

McGahee RB coach.
Reed DB coach.
Wayne WR coach.
Sapp DL coach.
Tremain Mack ST coach.
Dorsey QB coach.
Shockey TE coach.
McKinnie OL coach

This isn't the NBA. Just being thrown into a coaching position and being in charge of a group isn't a good idea. We really don't know how serious he even is about coaching. He isn't coaching anyone now, even though I am sure he has been offered to do it, and now we know that he would coach at Miami because he knows there will be jobs available soon. I'm not saying to not hire him but let him get his feet wet and see if he likes the pool.

WILLIAMS.JPG

WILLIAMS.JPG

And he will not be in charge of anyone next year.

Advertisement
****, the two of them coached the 2001 team to the championship

Amen.

I know it's a popular thing to say.
But not really. The position coaches and coordinators coached the team to a championship.
It's more a accurate to say Reed and Dorsey policed the team to a championship.
Two different things.

So they did the duties of a head coach/CEO, while the assistant coaches did the duties of assistant coaches.

If you want to belive that the ENTIRE job of a HC/CEO is to police the team and not oversee every aspect of the football operation then yes.
But if that's what you think the job is then I respectfully suggest you don't know what the HC does.

Do I think Reed and Dorsey were literally the head coach where they did things like handle press conferences and other off-field minutiae? Of course not. They also couldn't maintain Coker's claps per minute, or else they'd need a medical redshirt. Do I think they filled the leadership voice caused by having Coker at the helm? You bet. ****, it's part of why they lobbied for him in the first place. On gamedays, while Coker was cowering in the corner at the thought of having to face "mighty" Nebraska, it was Reed and Dorsey who got that team mentally ready. ****, you could argue that with the adjustments they had to make on the field, they arguably did as much actual coaching as Coker.

dorsey should be a lock for QB coach, nothing more, nothing less

He's likely to be an NFL OC in the very near future. I realize there's risk with any first time coordinator - especially under a HC whose experience has been on the defensive side - but not all risk comes with the same downside.

My biggest questions for Dorsey would be whether or not he can identify talent. There'd have to be a lot of conversation and hypothetical situations discussed during that interview.

He's likely to be an NFL OC in the very near future. I realize there's risk with any first time coordinator - especially under a HC whose experience has been on the defensive side - but not all risk comes with the same downside.

My biggest questions for Dorsey would be whether or not he can identify talent. There'd have to be a lot of conversation and hypothetical situations discussed during that interview.

Wouldn't that depend largely on who the HC is? Honest question about recruiting - obviously the HC has final say on who gets recruited etc., but then is the QB coach given more-or-less free reign to find "his guys" and present them to the HC?

Wouldn't that depend largely on who the HC is? Honest question about recruiting - obviously the HC has final say on who gets recruited etc., but then is the QB coach given more-or-less free reign to find "his guys" and present them to the HC?

Talking about Dorsey under the presumption of Butch Davis as HC.

Advertisement
There are many great athletes that don't know how to coach. I don't think Reed falls into that category. In fact, when he was in NY and Houston at the end of his career, he was lauded for mentoring the young guys and being that extra coach on the sidelines. I think he can be that guy.

Dorsey as OC, otoh, requires so much more. Understanding Xs and Os is one thing - knowing how and when to implement them is what makes the OCs great. That comes with experience and if we fork over $3.5-4M for a HC, we may not be able to afford 2 top notch coordinators and to be honest, a young up and comer QBC is probably next best thing (a la Jedd).

Then wouldn't Butch have the final say in which QBs to evaluate/take? Certainly Dorsey has to have some ability to evaluate talent of course, but would that be more of a worry under someone who doesn't have a reputation as one of the greatest talent-evaluators ever?

I'm just saying that when I was in high school playing DB, if I was good enough in the first place to be recruited by Miami first of all, and Ed Reed came to my house to try to get me to come to Miami, I'm going to Miami. I don't see any kid telling their role model, and biggest idol growing up that they don't want to be coached and mentored by him.

As far as coaching goes, yes he played with tons of instinct and that is what made him great. But, I'm sure he can teach a lot of the basic stuff that these guys haven't been taught in the last few years. He's been under Harbaugh, Rex Ryan, Brian Billick, Chuck Pagano. He would be way better than any other candidate you can throw out there and I guaruntee that.

Advertisement

Then wouldn't Butch have the final say in which QBs to evaluate/take? Certainly Dorsey has to have some ability to evaluate talent of course, but would that be more of a worry under someone who doesn't have a reputation as one of the greatest talent-evaluators ever?

I'd still want the OC/QB coach to be the key guy in finding QBs he'll use for his system.

I don't know if Reed would be a good coach. He is a HOF, no doubt, but so much of what he did was instinct. You can't teach that or pass that on. You either have it, or you don't.

I would love to see what he can do with JJ#4.

How do you think he developed those instincts? He watched film relentlessly. Instincts aren't innate, they're developed through film study and muscle memory (practice). Down and distance, formation, personnel, subtle body language cues...the tendencies are all there on film.

Everyone loves to talk about the impact Reed would have on recruiting but by far his greatest contribution as a coach would be how he teaches younger players to break down film. Nobody knows how he would fare as a DC or HC but there's no reason why he can't be one of the best DB coaches on the planet.

Advertisement
Both guys are confirmed film rats. They've studiied the game backwards and forwards.
Dorsey has been teaching his position since he entered the league. Teams kept him around specifically to mentor qb's so he's been coaching qb'so longer than his resume would suggest. Does that translate to an awesome game planner / play caller? I don't know but someone will take the chance on him and find out. I'm willing to bet - yes, he's going to be a good one.

Reed? Pretty much a film rat, student of the game, FB addict - without any coaching experience. Position coach - within his reach if you ask me.

I don't know if Reed would be a good coach. He is a HOF, no doubt, but so much of what he did was instinct. You can't teach that or pass that on. You either have it, or you don't.

How do you think he developed those instincts? He watched film relentlessly. Instincts aren't innate, they're developed through film study and muscle memory (practice). Down and distance, formation, personnel, subtle body language cues...the tendencies are all there on film.

Everyone loves to talk about the impact Reed would have on recruiting but by far his greatest contribution as a coach would be how he teaches younger players to break down film. Nobody knows how he would fare as a DC or HC but there's no reason why he can't be one of the best DB coaches on the planet.

I'm with this guy. The risk of him as a DB coach is close to nil. The very best DB coaches are highly, highly technical. In how they teach steps, eyes and recognition. Everything I know from anyone who's ever played with Ed Reed is that the guy is a ******* freakshow in preparation. Between prepping for playing within a broader scheme and keeping morale of his unit up, that's what a position coach does.

I get that people are going to make jokes about bringing on former players. 99% of the time they are warranted. When it comes to Dorsey and Reed, two of our most technical former players ever (one of whom is actually a rising star in the coaching ranks already), I think the mocking tone is as stupid as those who just want to throw former great players out there as coaches.

I deeply respect football guys who are obsessive about the details. I think Bill Belichick does, too:

“He’s the best weak safety I’ve seen since I’ve been in the National Football League in my career. He’s outstanding at pretty much everything.” Belichick was not through: “The list goes on and on with him. It’s just a question of pretty much anything he’s out there for, he’s good at.”

From all accounts, 2001 team practices were run by Ed Reed and Ken Dorsey. The program was like a well oiled machine thanks to the shape Butch Davis let it in.

I'm with this guy. The risk of him as a DB coach is close to nil. The very best DB coaches are highly, highly technical. In how they teach steps, eyes and recognition. Everything I know from anyone who's ever played with Ed Reed is that the guy is a ****ing freakshow in preparation. Between prepping for playing within a broader scheme and keeping morale of his unit up, that's what a position coach does.

I get that people are going to make jokes about bringing on former players. 99% of the time they are warranted. When it comes to Dorsey and Reed, two of our most technical former players ever (one of whom is actually a rising star in the coaching ranks already), I think the mocking tone is as stupid as those who just want to throw former great players out there as coaches.

I deeply respect football guys who are obsessive about the details. I think Bill Belichick does, too:

“He’s the best weak safety I’ve seen since I’ve been in the National Football League in my career. He’s outstanding at pretty much everything.” Belichick was not through: “The list goes on and on with him. It’s just a question of pretty much anything he’s out there for, he’s good at.”

You ever watch that NFL films segment on belichek? They filmed a film breakdown tthat he and Brady were having on Baltimore. They were just breaking down Reed and just commenting nonstop on how amazing he was.

Advertisement
Back