Reed And Dorsey Interested In Being Assistants

dorsey should be a lock for QB coach, nothing more, nothing less

I don't understand this way of thinking. He is a QB coach in the NFL. Why would he come back to the college game for the same position and less money. He would be better served staying in the NFL as a QB coach and eventually be tapped to be an OC.

The typical transition from position to coordinator is through either years or experience. The way in which to get experience is to go back down to the college game, be an offensive coordinator, then return to the pro game if he desires.

Advertisement
I don't watch the NFL.

What kind of offense is Dorsey running there with Newton?

Pro style with FB?

Advertisement
same people saying we need coaches with proven experience saying we should hire Ed Reed to be our Dbacks coach...........

HOF player does not automatically = great coach.

It's two completely different skills sets.
Knowledge of the game is not enough.
It's the difference between bring a great doctor or a great professor of medicine.
It's a teaching job and not everyone is good at teaching.
It's also A LOT of hours and it's a grind.

Advertisement

It's the difference between bring a great doctor or a great professor of medicine.

That is all true. But can you imagine any DB recruit in the country telling Ed Reed no? Ken clearly is a coach and can come in and help. I wonder if Ed would take a grad assistant role at first? Would that be something. "Hey, sir, your son will be in good hands here at THE U. Our grad assistant just happens to be the greatest safety in NFL history."

Advertisement
"Only person [from the Miami family tree] I've talked to was Ken Dorsey," Reed told Eisen. "Me and Dorsey have talked a great bit about coaching together, but neither one of us want to be the head coach. We argued that. I know other guys would chime in and definitely want to be a part of it in some way, help out.

I don't know if Reed would be a good coach. He is a HOF, no doubt, but so much of what he did was instinct. You can't teach that or pass that on. You either have it, or you don't.

I would love to see what he can do with JJ#4.

He can teach technique and route recognition to help the dbs better understand.

I would be more concerned if he was a coordinator, but as a position coach he would kick ***. Not to mention the ridiculous recruiting visit. Yeah, that was Ed Reed in my house talkin about the U...**** YEAH IM TRYNA BE DOWN AND LEARN FROM THE GOAT

****, the two of them coached the 2001 team to the championship

Amen.

I know it's a popular thing to say.
But not really. The position coaches and coordinators coached the team to a championship.
It's more a accurate to say Reed and Dorsey policed the team to a championship.
Two different things.

So they did the duties of a head coach/CEO, while the assistant coaches did the duties of assistant coaches.

Not a fan of hiring players as coaches, but we have produced very rare players. Guys like Ray, Irvin, and E Reed should be on a sideline imo. Some of the greatest to ever do it, great leaders, with great work ethic. You dont not play hard for those position coaches. Not to mention recruiting. 😮. Not a fan on hiring them as cordinators though.

Advertisement
****, the two of them coached the 2001 team to the championship

Amen.

I know it's a popular thing to say.
But not really. The position coaches and coordinators coached the team to a championship.
It's more a accurate to say Reed and Dorsey policed the team to a championship.
Two different things.

So they did the duties of a head coach/CEO, while the assistant coaches did the duties of assistant coaches.

If you want to belive that the ENTIRE job of a HC/CEO is to police the team and not oversee every aspect of the football operation then yes.
But if that's what you think the job is then I respectfully suggest you don't know what the HC does.

Bring in Reed as a assistant DB coach or have him be the safeties coach and someone as a corner coach and a vet. be his assistant. I think he can be a good coach but I wouldn't have him just take over a position. Let him learn a little. All for it though.

It's

That is all true. But can you imagine any DB recruit in the country telling Ed Reed no? Ken clearly is a coach and can come in and help. I wonder if Ed would take a grad assistant role at first? Would that be something. "Hey, sir, your son will be in good hands here at THE U. Our grad assistant just happens to be the greatest safety in NFL history."

Yeah it would be great if he had a passion for coaching and was good at it.
But there's a reason they start at lower positions. Either GA or in High School to see if it's something that they want and are capable of doing.
Secondary coach is a big position and responsibility to give to a first year coach.

Advertisement
Back