Recruits not knowing who their position coach is

Just been thinking about this a little more and the fact we are not getting any outside wrs this cycle supposedly because our OC situation is in limbo. Are we making too big a deal of this? And are recruits making a mistake committing to position coaches and not so much the head guy?

We know each year position coaches usually get shuffled or get promoted to other programs. They tend to have shorter term contracts so longevity is always a question.

Kids, imo, should really be committing to the head guy and his vision. He is the one that likely will be around the next 4 years while a position coach is not guaranteed a spot for more than maybe 1-2 years. Maybe that is what Mario is thinking and selling. There's always exceptions but even a guy like Hartline who is the best in the biz was rumored for a HC position this year and will likely be rumored every year vacancies occur. So if I commit to OSU to be coached by Hartline in the back of my mind I am thinking the guy may be gone before I graduate. The program I commit to better have more going for it than just my position coach or I will end up disappointed.

So in the end if I commit to the head guy it is because I trust the head guy, his vision for the program, and that he will be competent enough to hire competent assistants to develop me. I don't necessarily need to know who my position coach (or OC) is. Maybe nice if I do, but should not be the deal breaker as long as I am good with the head guy.
I don’t think our OC position is in limbo , gattis coming back lol

Advertisement
If you are recruiting someone in any endeavor, you have to sell yourself and what you're doing to the recruit. Otherwise, the recruit won't commit to you.

I dont see anything that Mario can sell to receivers or quarterbacks at the current stage. Saying "There will be drastic scheme changes" does not answer the question, in fact, it will only bring up more questions.

Advertisement
Back