Recruits not knowing who their position coach is

Salt

"Assigned species at birth"
Just been thinking about this a little more and the fact we are not getting any outside wrs this cycle supposedly because our OC situation is in limbo. Are we making too big a deal of this? And are recruits making a mistake committing to position coaches and not so much the head guy?

We know each year position coaches usually get shuffled or get promoted to other programs. They tend to have shorter term contracts so longevity is always a question.

Kids, imo, should really be committing to the head guy and his vision. He is the one that likely will be around the next 4 years while a position coach is not guaranteed a spot for more than maybe 1-2 years. Maybe that is what Mario is thinking and selling. There's always exceptions but even a guy like Hartline who is the best in the biz was rumored for a HC position this year and will likely be rumored every year vacancies occur. So if I commit to OSU to be coached by Hartline in the back of my mind I am thinking the guy may be gone before I graduate. The program I commit to better have more going for it than just my position coach or I will end up disappointed.

So in the end if I commit to the head guy it is because I trust the head guy, his vision for the program, and that he will be competent enough to hire competent assistants to develop me. I don't necessarily need to know who my position coach (or OC) is. Maybe nice if I do, but should not be the deal breaker as long as I am good with the head guy.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We don’t have a lot going for us right now so I imagine it factors in more than other places.
You’re not going to take a job bc of the CEO when you think your direct boss sucks or you don’t know who it is.

Just been thinking about this a little more and the fact we are not getting any outside wrs this cycle supposedly because our OC situation is in limbo. Are we making too big a deal of this? And are recruits making a mistake committing to position coaches and not so much the head guy?

We know each year position coaches usually get shuffled or get promoted to other programs. They tend to have shorter term contracts so longevity is always a question.

Kids, imo, should really be committing to the head guy and his vision. He is the one that likely will be around the next 4 years while a position coach is not guaranteed a spot for more than maybe 1-2 years. Maybe that is what Mario is thinking and selling. There's always exceptions but even a guy like Hartline who is the best in the biz was rumored for a HC position this year and will likely be rumored every year vacancies occur. So if I commit to OSU to be coached by Hartline in the back of my mind I am thinking the guy may be gone before I graduate. The program I commit to better have more going for it than just my position coach or I will end up disappointed.

So in the end if I commit to the head guy it is because I trust the head guy, his vision for the program, and that he will be competent enough to hire competent assistants to develop me. I don't necessarily need to know who my position coach (or OC) is. Maybe nice if I do, but should not be the deal breaker as long as I am good with the head guy.
position coach matters more to these kids tbh. the HC matters, but as South park said, theyre with the position coaches way more often

In a perfect world this would be solved by now.

The world ain't perfect and Miami football has been in shambles for 20 years.

Things are getting rebuilt from the ground up and anybody who has ever built a home knows that there are road bumps, hiccups and things never go as planned or on schedule.

In the end, the job eventually gets done and you enjoy the house that's been built; you don't over focus on the laborious process it took to get there, or recall those little stretches where things took longer than planned.

Have to ride it out. It is what it is. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face (or until my fingers fall off from typing it).... Mario took over a program that was 118-85 since the 2005 Peach Bowl; 16 years of a 7-5 average—Miami's third head coach in five years and the program's sixth head coach in 17 years.

Zero ACC titles in 19 tries; one Coastal title and blown out in the championship game—and one double-digit win season since joining the ACC in 2004.

Diaz left a room full of betas and a broken culture, while the program itself just started spending money 13 months ago—after decades of an eat-what-you-kill approach to athletics.

Translation; this thing isn't going to become Georgia overnight simply because there's a new coach and some money.

Kirby Smart inherited a program that Mark Richt ran well for 15 years—before the Bulldogs dumped $200-million in, with their goal of going Bama-level (when they were only a few rungs behind).

Six year later Smart won his first national title—and his second in his seventh season—for a program that has been run like a well-oiled machine since Miami fell off in the early 2000's.

Sitting around worried about players and recruits and their thoughts on an offensive coordinator's situation halfway through January... a reminder just how far off this thing still is from competing at a championship level.

Buckle in, boys. It's gonna be a minute.

In a perfect world this would be solved by now.

The world ain't perfect and Miami football has been in shambles for 20 years.

Things are getting rebuilt from the ground up and anybody who has ever built a home knows that there are road bumps, hiccups and things never go as planned or on schedule.

In the end, the job eventually gets done and you enjoy the house that's been built; you don't over focus on the laborious process it took to get there, or recall those little stretches where things took longer than planned.

Have to ride it out. It is what it is. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face (or until my fingers fall off from typing it.)

Mario took over a program that was 118-85 since the 2005 Peach Bowl; 16 years of a 7-5 average—Miami's third head coach in five years and the program's sixth head coach in 17 years.

Diaz left a room full of betas and a broken culture, while the program itself just started spending money 13 months ago—after decades of an eat-what-you-kill approach to athletics.

Translation; this thing isn't going to become Georgia overnight simply because there's a new coach and some money.

Kirby Smart inherited a program that Mark Richt ran well for 15 years—before the Bulldogs dumped $200-million in, with their goal of going Bama-level (when they were only a few rungs behind).

Six year later Smart won his first national title—and his second in his seventh season—for a program that has been run like a well-oiled machine since Miami fell off in the early 2000's.

Sitting around worried about players and recruits and their thoughts on an offensive coordinator's situation halfway through January... a reminder just how far off this thing still is from competing at a championship level.

Buckle in, boys. It's gonna be a minute.
Longer than they think for sure.

Advertisement
position coach matters more to these kids tbh. the HC matters, but as South park said, theyre with the position coaches way more often
I get that. I think though a kid that is committing just to be coached by a certain guy always risks the guy leaving at some point and being replaced, which usually happens if the guy is good at what he does (or gets fired if he isn't).

Ehhhhhhh you spend 90% of your time with your position coach. You might talk to the head guy the most on game day in some instances. Position coach matters

until he is no longer your position coach for the reasons I have outlined...then what?

Advertisement

Well the problem is the head guy is known to have ****** offense or this wouldn't be as big of a deal. If Lincoln Riley didn't have a WR coach, he'd still get plenty of receivers committing there.

So in essence, the players are looking at the head coach....and all saying "no thanks".

Advertisement
until he is no longer your position coach for the reasons I have outlined...then what?
I understand you want it to be one way but in Miami’s case it won’t be that way. There no vision to sell if you don’t have anything compelling to back up your claims. Lincoln Riley can sell heisman QB’s and 10 wins and with your help we can get over the edge. Kirby and Saban can promise you nfl looks and championships so on and so forth. In Miami’s case the position coach relationship will always matter more until we win again. It’s like that for all mediocre programs

Last edited:
I understand you want it to be one way but in Miami’s cause it won’t be that way. There no vision to sell if you don’t have anything compelling to back up your claims. Lincoln Riley can sell heisman QB’s and 10 wins and with your help we can get over the edge. Kirby and Saban can promise you nfl looks and championships so on and so forth. In Miami’s case the position coach relationship will always matter more until we win again. It’s like that for all mediocre programs
I said last year there was a narrative on Mario in football circles, him
and his offenses were already getting negative recruited and it’s even worse now. I know for an absolute fact kids went elsewhere for less NIL to play in better systems. And I’m not just talking the obvious one.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back