Recruits not knowing who their position coach is

And they should. And yes it’s a Mario issue and that’s why he hired Gattis in the first place. JG is the symptom. Liberty EL and myself have always been in the “ he’ll have to show me “ side of things when it comes to hiring a creative play caller. Until then I’m skeptical.

Play caller and system though could mean two different things. I didn't necessarily mind a Michigan styled system. It certainly has worked for them and except for some mistakes could have been playing Georgia instead of TCU (and probably would have put up a better game). Play calling is somewhat of an art and feel which Gattis demonstrably lacks.

Advertisement
negative recruiting? I think he's been dealing with that for a while so just comes with the territory. Ultimately, the numbers will tell the tale of how his offensive system fairs and how it develops guys for the league or not.
True

It reminds me of last year when we were closing in on signing day with no OC and no DC. And some people here thought that having no OC or DC wasn't impacting anyone's decision. Lol.

Same thing here. We're in the middle of portal season hot off a **** poor season with a bunch of question marks surrounding who will be our OC and WR coach. We need WRs and we're striking out left and right.

Mario deserves time and is bringing in a he-ll of a high school class but the lack of general urgency he displays is highly questionable.

It’s bait because you’re the oldest troll on the board and have a scouting report of trying to take the skip Bayless approach to get attention. Bow get back to trolling Jagr.

Well, it's not trolling. You need to look up the definition. Instead, it's pointing out contradictions, which are too many to count on this board, including from you.

It's a simple point: we have highly rated players coming in on offense, despite your claim that no one would play in a Mario offense. One way to avoid answering is "UR A TROLL".

Advertisement
And my question to everyone is what vision can Mario Cristobal sell you to come here if you’re a top 100 WR
Look at the Oline we’ve brought in. TVD has shown with a good oline he can sling it. He’s going to have all day to throw this year behind one of the best lines in the country.

That’s about it lol

Just been thinking about this a little more and the fact we are not getting any outside wrs this cycle supposedly because our OC situation is in limbo. Are we making too big a deal of this? And are recruits making a mistake committing to position coaches and not so much the head guy?

We know each year position coaches usually get shuffled or get promoted to other programs. They tend to have shorter term contracts so longevity is always a question.

Kids, imo, should really be committing to the head guy and his vision. He is the one that likely will be around the next 4 years while a position coach is not guaranteed a spot for more than maybe 1-2 years. Maybe that is what Mario is thinking and selling. There's always exceptions but even a guy like Hartline who is the best in the biz was rumored for a HC position this year and will likely be rumored every year vacancies occur. So if I commit to OSU to be coached by Hartline in the back of my mind I am thinking the guy may be gone before I graduate. The program I commit to better have more going for it than just my position coach or I will end up disappointed.

So in the end if I commit to the head guy it is because I trust the head guy, his vision for the program, and that he will be competent enough to hire competent assistants to develop me. I don't necessarily need to know who my position coach (or OC) is. Maybe nice if I do, but should not be the deal breaker as long as I am good with the head guy.
valid points.
I wouldn't want to go to a system as a wr if the team didnt have their people in place. What if they change up and go run heavy etc??

Not getting into the offensive philosophy debate, but I heard your position coach stays at a school an average of 1.7 years, so I'm not basing my college choice on the position coach, but that's me.

Play caller and system though could mean two different things. I didn't necessarily mind a Michigan styled system. It certainly has worked for them and except for some mistakes could have been playing Georgia instead of TCU (and probably would have put up a better game). Play calling is somewhat of an art and feel which Gattis demonstrably lacks.
Their offense is fine for the Big 10. Secondly they have much more creativity with their offense and better offensive minds running it. That O took a major jump when Weiss came back and Sherrone Moore got more involved. On top of Harbaugh. People forget Michigan fans were starting to call for JH‘s head going into the 21 season. The offense was the biggest issue hence why it was all hands on deck .

Gattis left because his ego was hurt.

Advertisement
I said last year there was a narrative on Mario in football circles, him
and his offenses were already getting negative recruited and it’s even worse now. I know for an absolute fact kids went elsewhere for less NIL to play in better systems. And I’m not just talking the obvious one.

Angry Season 2 GIF by The Office

Not getting into the offensive philosophy debate, but I heard your position coach stays at a school an average of 1.7 years, so I'm not basing my college choice on the position coach, but that's me.
Scheme is the biggest factor. Kids want to play in a system that’ll make them the most successful and coaches that develop. If you’re a qb or wr it’s an easy sell to go play for Riley.

valid points.
I wouldn't want to go to a system as a wr if the team didnt have their people in place. What if they change up and go run heavy etc??
that's why committing to the head guy is what's important. I know if I go play for Paul Johnson what I am getting into.

Their offense is fine for the Big 10. Secondly they have much more creativity with their offense and better offensive minds running it. That O took a major jump when Weiss came back and Sherrone Moore got more involved. On top of Harbaugh. People forget Michigan fans were starting to call for JH‘s head going into the 21 season. The offense was the biggest issue hence why it was all hands on deck .

nail on head

Advertisement
Ehhhhhhh you spend 90% of your time with your position coach. You might talk to the head guy the most on game day in some instances. Position coach matters
This and personally I wouldn’t trust Mario to hire the right coach for me if I was a recruit. Recruits aren’t going to feel comfortable doing that either when they have other options, it’s simple

Gattis was butt hurt and trying to claim credit at bama too, which is why I said he wasn’t a great choice when he was hired

Advertisement
I get that. I think though a kid that is committing just to be coached by a certain guy always risks the guy leaving at some point and being replaced, which usually happens if the guy is good at what he does (or gets fired if he isn't).
The portal solves everything. If you want to be with your position coach transfer and go where he goes. Look at all the guys following Manny to Penn st. Well maybe not but a couple guys have gone to be with Lashlee at SMU

The portal solves everything. If you want to be with your position coach transfer and go where he goes. Look at all the guys following Manny to Penn st. Well maybe not but a couple guys have gone to be with Lashlee at SMU

Not always that simple though. For example, Mario's last OC at Oregon goes to UNLV as head coach. If I am a player that got along with Arroyo and liked his system, I would still think twice about leaving a situation at Oregon and go to UNLV just to follow him. But then I find out Mario is leaving for Miami, then that might cause me to consider a move.

I am struggling though to come up with anyone following Manny to PSU though. You mean from last year's team?

Advertisement
Back