Recruiting

miamiphd

Sophomore
All of the 17 current commits are from Florida. Compare that to the final list from 2015 when only 14 out of 22 were from Florida. In 2014, it was 16 out of 27 commits from Florida. NLI Day is a long way off, but UM already has more commits from Florida than it ended up with in either 2014 or 2015. Firing Golden in mid-season put an immediate stop to the nonsense of recruiting in New Jersey, although Njoko seems to have been a diamond in the rough. Then add Richt's Florida roots, and it seems that UM is restoring a fundamental reason for its past successes. Definitely a good sign.

Here is some more evidence that UM recruiting is headed in the right direction: https://n.rivals.com/news/ua-game-ranking-colleges-by-their-commitments-performances

Advertisement
Some of our best players were from out of state this yr... Kaaya, corn, njoku, aqm, herndon, etc. We NEED to keep better in state talent home no doubt, but we will always need to supplement with out of state ballers.

I'm pretty sure some of you guys would give Larry Blustein a quick handy if he'd whisper sweet nothings into your ears about recruiting the local area. Christ, some of you act like our roster has mirrored Rutgers or something in the "hometown" column. I get it. Lil Billy Cohen once put a cute graphic in one of his movies about "The State of Miami" that caused a tingle in your taintle but just relax on the flawed argument that we've been too focused on the national recruits. ***, maybe we should get back to the international recruiting and get some Canadian meatheads back on our O-line again.

Advertisement
I have nothing against recruiting nationally. However, UM must dominate in its backyard, which by the way has the best high school talent in the country. Folden tipped the balance much to far in favor of non-Florida talent.

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure some of you guys would give Larry Blustein a quick handy if he'd whisper sweet nothings into your ears about recruiting the local area. Christ, some of you act like our roster has mirrored Rutgers or something in the "hometown" column. I get it. Lil Billy Cohen once put a cute graphic in one of his movies about "The State of Miami" that caused a tingle in your taintle but just relax on the flawed argument that we've been too focused on the national recruits. ***, maybe we should get back to the international recruiting and get some Canadian meatheads back on our O-line again.

Easy now................

Dont think we will be in jersey as much. As a coach you have to use your pipelines
For Richt its GA, FL mainly which is fine by me. Would love a presence in LA,CA, and TX.

Advertisement

Easy now................

Haha. It's said with full admiration. Gimme your Merciers, Sherkos & Rombergs with a box of Tim Horton's any day!

Last edited:
We went National to get Alex Gall. Too bad Golden didn't miss that flight.

Advertisement
I have nothing against recruiting nationally. However, UM must dominate in its backyard, which by the way has the best high school talent in the country. Folden tipped the balance much to far in favor of non-Florida talent.

I'm pretty sure your OP said that you do.

All of the 17 current commits are from Florida. Compare that to the final list from 2015 when only 14 out of 22 were from Florida. In 2014, it was 16 out of 27 commits from Florida. NLI Day is a long way off, but UM already has more commits from Florida than it ended up with in either 2014 or 2015. Firing Golden in mid-season put an immediate stop to the nonsense of recruiting in New Jersey, although Njoko seems to have been a diamond in the rough. Then add Richt's Florida roots, and it seems that UM is restoring a fundamental reason for its past successes. Definitely a good sign.

Here is some more evidence that UM recruiting is headed in the right direction: https://n.rivals.com/news/ua-game-ranking-colleges-by-their-commitments-performances

Ever hear of Greg Mark, Dan Stubbs, Greg Olsen and Bryant McKinnie? I guess not.

Keeping Florida talent, especially South Florida talent, at home is critical. When Folden started at UM, he actually did pretty well in FL; 2012 was a banner year. But, as word got out that he and his buddies were flops, he failed to attract Florida talent. After losing all credibility in Florida, he had to go farther north. Meanwhile, out-of-state programs plucked some of the best Florida talent. It is inexcusable to let Ohio State nab a talent like Bosa from Ft. Lauderdale. To get back to the top, UM has to dominate in South Florida, share the rest of Florida with FSU and UF, and do in other regions what the OSUs and Alabamas have been doing in UM's territory. Grabbing stars nationally is great, but to fill the roster, UM has to rely on the Florida pipeline.

Keeping Florida talent, especially South Florida talent, at home is critical. When Folden started at UM, he actually did pretty well in FL; 2012 was a banner year. But, as word got out that he and his buddies were flops, he failed to attract Florida talent. After losing all credibility in Florida, he had to go farther north. Meanwhile, out-of-state programs plucked some of the best Florida talent. It is inexcusable to let Ohio State nab a talent like Bosa from Ft. Lauderdale. To get back to the top, UM has to dominate in South Florida, share the rest of Florida with FSU and UF, and do in other regions what the OSUs and Alabamas have been doing in UM's territory. Grabbing stars nationally is great, but to fill the roster, UM has to rely on the Florida pipeline.

Bosa's mother is an Ohio State alum.

Advertisement
Back