Recruiting Update 4/15/18: Post Spring Game

View as article
Good write up Geo. Something just seems off about this class. Like they just cant decide on who they want, while the guys they definitely want remain just out of reach. As posted above, guys like Davis, Carter and Couch are being recruited and are ready to commit, but aren't takes. They had to let a few guys walk after accepting their commitments too early. And I get it. Evals change minds. Its not that its wasted effort. But recruiting a guy and talking to him almost every day, only to tell him you wont accept his commitment right now is gonna close that door with at least a few of them.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing Rumph, but after the misses he's had, I hope he has a **** good feeling about the other guys he's recruiting, if he wont accept Davis commitment. Paradise camp cant get here soon enough.

Also find it hilarious that Ladson is intrigued by playing with Lawrence. Remember the opening? Yes it was a 7 on 7. But he might consider asking the 9 Miami signees (excluding Williams), who played with both QBs, which guy they would rather have as their QB: Williams or Lawrence.

Geo, any idea what would get our leans to commit? Is there 1 recruit who's commitment would get the ball rolling for us this year the way Lo did last year? And IF there is, who is it and for the love of god... can we expect them to commit anytime soon?

I agree with this - something doesn't feel right. I am no expert and pretty new to following this stuff but It concerns me that all of this "missing" and decommitting , (whether they are really misses or not or guys we let fall off ), gives a bad vibe to other recruits. Let's not kid ourselves, these kids know who we are recruiting. The part of this that really worries me is many of these big target guys are really starting to look like they will draw it out as long as possible. I expect to fight for a couple of guys at the wire but we have quite a few on the board that could go that way....

We need Keontra Smith to flip.

Advertisement
Need some momentum for sure, this time last year Brevin Jordan just had committed on the heels of mark pope and Gurvan Hall. A lot of our big guns were committing around this time last year. That isn’t happening this year for whatever reason

Let me be a optimistic fan for once--It's only April you guys. Paradise Camp hasn't even happened yet. Let it play out and if we have similar momentum after then we should worry.

Back to reality--with that being said, its a bit concerning to have so few targets at certain positions especially along the trenches. Why isn't Wright more of a priority? Putnam? Apparent that we have a weakness at OT but refuse to target any of the top 20 OT. With R Brown most likely gone, the staff should be in contact with Sorrels 24/7 along with Davis.

I also can't help but notice UF and FSU bringing in multiple 5* visitors . FSU now has the #2 class and just had the #1 player in the nation say that visiting there was "one of the best" visits he's had. A question that may or may not be rhetorical but one that I've been pondering for a while, why don't we go after top players? I understand that we're in an area where we shouldn't have to leave often but if an Aaron Donald type prospect, with interest, is sitting in another state shouldn't he be more of a priority over a local 3* that's easily obtainable?

We don't know how much the staff talks to these guys behind the scenes. We've seen interviews where the kids say they talk to coaches every day or every other day. I guess we will see what happens now that contact can be made.

Advertisement
2020 will be better than 2019 class imo and I’ve said that before
Rumph is cool with Jaden Davis dad I thought I read And he has known the kid for along time. If you remember correctly last cycle rumph pushed early on for asaunte Samuel but at the time Diaz didn’t want him. Same thing can be at play here....

Good point. For some reason I never considered it was Diaz telling Rumph not to accept these guys commitment. That would certainly change my opinion of Rumph.

Chris steele has told us its between us and oregon with us leading. His father & him love it here.
Is the South Carolina interest not serious?

He gives them a lot of attention on social media and seems to love T Rob

2020 will be better than 2019 class imo and I’ve said that before
Rumph is cool with Jaden Davis dad I thought I read And he has known the kid for along time. If you remember correctly last cycle rumph pushed early on for asaunte Samuel but at the time Diaz didn’t want him. Same thing can be at play here....

Man it dont matter how long Rumph known a kid

Advertisement
Davis is 5'9 166. Maybe thats their reasoning. When i saw STA play he always outplayed Blades who they apparently were high on. Guess its the size thing..thing is after they flunk out they always try to turn back aroud like how they did Samuel last year.

Lets wait to see if stuff changes by Paradise.

Let me be a optimistic fan for once--It's only April you guys. Paradise Camp hasn't even happened yet. Let it play out and if we have similar momentum after then we should worry.

Back to reality--with that being said, its a bit concerning to have so few targets at certain positions especially along the trenches. Why isn't Wright more of a priority? Putnam? Apparent that we have a weakness at OT but refuse to target any of the top 20 OT. With R Brown most likely gone, the staff should be in contact with Sorrels 24/7 along with Davis.

I also can't help but notice UF and FSU bringing in multiple 5* visitors . FSU now has the #2 class and just had the #1 player in the nation say that visiting there was "one of the best" visits he's had. A question that may or may not be rhetorical but one that I've been pondering for a while, why don't we go after top players? I understand that we're in an area where we shouldn't have to leave often but if an Aaron Donald type prospect, with interest, is sitting in another state shouldn't he be more of a priority over a local 3* that's easily obtainable?
Thats the tough part about recruiting from down here. We produce the largest amount of quality players but those who are at the top top (top 10 top 5) usually arent from here.

Where is usc?

John Bosco is not really, truly a USC school. If anything, it’s more UCLA. But John Bosco is a hired hitman school. There kids are known to leave the state, namely Oregon and AZ St.

If he went to Serra, Mater Dei, Dorsey, Crenshaw, Poly, or Norbonne, I would 100% lock him to SC. W/ him at Bosco, we have a shot. Gotta prioritize him, though. Like fa real, fa real.

Last edited:
I appreciate the work, but it was hard to read. You have quality things to say, so say them in a way that readers can follow.

Advertisement
Friends with KT he doesn't talk much about recruiting. Asked him one time how he liked Miami "I like it, its cool" then asked him how he felt about the U and he laughed..

He is all USC he isn't leaving his family behind, he is just doing his due diligence

Advertisement
Great write-up.

Hope the comment about Steele having us in the lead is true - hopefully he'll visit us soon.

People, it's APRIL!!!

We will 100% be fine. As Geo has said, he and people within the program expect us to land Smith, McIntosh, Huff and Ingraham within the next few months. That's 4 elite dudes. If we can get MJJ to come aboard then the flood gates open. The Haselwood info is awesome and @Brooklyndee talking about us being a major player for Steele makes me happy in pants.

Just be a bit patient people, this class is still gonna have elite dudes all over the place.

While I appreciate the post Geo, our momentum needs to pick back up again. All the top SoFlo guys have interest in Miami, but finishing second doesn’t mean ****. We just took a backseat to UF and FSU this weekend, let’s see if the staff can throw a counter punch and bounce back.

Advertisement
Back