Recruiting Tidbits

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
Here are a couple recruiting updates:

-Miami recently offered 2015 WR Antonio Calloway. The 'Canes and the Gators are the two schools to keep an eye on here, with Florida ahead by a bit at the moment. Expect the staff at Booker T. Washington to help Miami, especially considering the connection Ice Harris has with the program. Locking up Calloway would be beneficial not only because of his talent, but it adds another person Mark Walton is familiar with and helps strengthen his commitment.

-Another receiver that Miami is pursuing heavily is Deon Cain from the Tampa area. Cain is planning on visiting a handful of schools this summer, but is only visiting one Florida school and it's Miami. The 'Canes are going to really have to fight off UF, FSU and Clemson for Cain with the Tigers in the lead. Cain is a high priority for Miami and is a tremendous athlete that could contribute at multiple positions.

Update: Regardless of Cain choosing this upcoming week, I would still expect him to take visits and Miami will continue to recruit him.

-Palm Beach Gardens linebacker Tevon Coney is a recruit that was expected to pull the trigger for UF early, but has been patient with the process longer than many expected. Florida is still in the lead, but schools like Miami, Notre Dame, and Ohio State have caught his eye. This will be a battle to the end for the 'Canes and will take an entire staff effort.

-As has been reported here for quite some time now, it remains to be seen whether Mark Walton will be able to reclassify . This creates an interesting situation for the staff because it would have been an easier effort for the staff to get Walton in before he emerged as a national recruit. With reclassification looking unlikely, Miami will have to hold off schools like Alabama, Georgia and even Florida State for another year. Walton is solid for the moment, but as he has said it before he's keeping his options open.

-One cornerback target that not many people are talking about is Alabama corner Jalen Thompson. Why is Thompson different from other out-of-state targets? He's quarterback Malik Rosier's cousin. It will require a monster recruiting effort for Miami to pull Thompson away from schools like Alabama and Auburn, but Miami is in the game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Cain decides this Friday with no visits this summer. Everyone thinks it is Clemson according to today's surge of crystal ball picks.

Cain's announcing Friday and doesn't have Miami as a finalist.

I'd be surprised if we ended up with any of these guys. Appreciate the update, though, Tito.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I know you guys don't care but Miami has the #2 ranked recruiting class for 2016. I just hope we finish that high in 2015

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings
290.gif

Advertisement
I'd still expect Cain to visit schools during the summer following his commitment

IF indeed it is Clemson, hasn't Dabo stated any recruit that does takes vist while committed to them they will and can stop all revruiting activities with that prospect?

Advertisement
I have heard he likes Miami and we got a chance, but I guess we'll find out soon. Problem is Clemson's OC has a good resume with getting guys the ball, success with Florida players and high draft choices.

I'd go to Clemson as a skill guy. One of the best OC's in the game with an exciting offense that's very skill player friendly. What's not to love?

Advertisement
Back