Recruiting Confidential Florida

Clemson hit homeruns at the most important position with Watson and Lawrence. Game breakers at QB can help offset some of that talent gap. They've turned up the juice recently though when it comes to signing top players.
Great post! QB is the most important position on the field. Clemson had nice pieces of the puzzle before Watson got there, but they weren't even in the discussion until Watson emerged. Watson was recruit zero for Clemson. Lawrence was phenomenal and kept the program going. I'm not sure DJ can keep it going for them (I hope he sucks and they fall off the map).

Advertisement
Great post! QB is the most important position on the field. Clemson had nice pieces of the puzzle before Watson got there, but they weren't even in the discussion until Watson emerged. Watson was recruit zero for Clemson. Lawrence was phenomenal and kept the program going. I'm not sure DJ can keep it going for them (I hope he sucks and they fall off the map).

Yep. And to @DMoney's point, a QB room can make or break your team if you're not stacking blue chips across all other positions. Look at the cali schools and so many others (meatkitchen, etc).

The thing that had me cracking up is the differences in responses to the same question from different coaches..

Question: How would you say school X recruits players

Coach 1: They are lazy, never been to my school and barely even electronically communicate

Coach 2: They are great!

Example

View attachment 149909
Yeah it really seems to vary by school and area. It shows how you can't really generalize about how "hard" a school recruits. Every school has limited resources and prioritizes different places. Then there's Bama, who multiple coaches confirmed as just swooping in to steal the top guys by winning over the handlers (gee I wonder how).

Yep. And to @DMoney's point, a QB room can make or break your team if you're not stacking blue chips across all other positions. Look at the cali schools and so many others (meatkitchen, etc).
And signing King was a huge part of the difference between the horrid 2019 campaign and the 2020 campaign. Now you have Van Dyke and Garcia in the wings, and the QB position has crazy potential.

Advertisement
We've seen some impact from better recruiting. Over those five years, we've had three good seasons by recent standards ('16, '17 and '20).

And while there are a lot of reasons why '18 and '19 were abominations, the biggest issues were in the QB room. The relevant time period was really bad for in-state QB prospects and our OOS state QBs weren't as good as the three we have now.
Which is why the year is so interesting. We've got the best QB room we've had in, literally, decades, and we've got this year's QB commit recruiting. We'll see what impact that actually has on recruiting.

Advertisement

Interviews with 10 anonymous (you can deduce some of them) HS coaches and 2 local talent evaluators about recruiting in Florida. If you don't have an Athletic sub you should get one or I can send a code for a free trial. Or I can answer specific questions.

Mixed reviews for Diaz and Miami generally, but a lot more positive than negative. Same thing for Mullen/UF. FSU given positive marks but with the caveats that they're digging out of a deep hole. Lots of universal praise for TRob and DVD. Lashlee and Likens also well thought-of. Field mentioned once, otherwise no other assistants spoken of.
Need to change those other assistants ASAP. Next off season hopefully

Advertisement
The number of 5 star players at Alabama is mind boggling. They pulled more 5 star kids in the last cycle than Miami has in the last decade. They have a huge talent advantage over pretty much every team in the nation besides Georgia and Ohio State. They still have an advantage over those teams, just not as pronounced.
They are the U type of roster early 2000s they just kept it afloat cause it's Saban. They are super stacked I'm jealous of those inbreds.

Advertisement
EVALS

If we target Saban high priority Florida kids he likes we will bounce back. Sometimes it's weird when he doesn't go after a kid that's highly rated out of Florida. Then we know why later on when they suck
You're borderline slurping Bama bro...come on now.

Idk how Patke is still on staff. You won't find any support for him from me.
He needs to go like yesterday I don't care how good he teaches. There is two parts to the cfb job and recruiting goes above x and O's imo. U can't teach ****** to be great.....he needs to bring the elite and so far him and MD have been real bad at that spot tbh.

Advertisement
Back