Recruiting Confidential Florida

HighSeas

Sophomore

Interviews with 10 anonymous (you can deduce some of them) HS coaches and 2 local talent evaluators about recruiting in Florida. If you don't have an Athletic sub you should get one or I can send a code for a free trial. Or I can answer specific questions.

Mixed reviews for Diaz and Miami generally, but a lot more positive than negative. Same thing for Mullen/UF. FSU given positive marks but with the caveats that they're digging out of a deep hole. Lots of universal praise for TRob and DVD. Lashlee and Likens also well thought-of. Field mentioned once, otherwise no other assistants spoken of.

Advertisement
Agreed on the sub. There are some articles that have the same information that you can get from any publication covering Miami (as the information is clearly coming from the same interviews with players/coaches that all of the reporters are at), but then they add articles like this that make it worthwhile.

From that article, I found this table interesting

1626444910786.png

It really is crazy to see that Bama has 50% more 5 stars over (and this is just kids from Florida) the last 5 years than UM/FSU/UF combined. Also, that Miaim has significantly more blue chips than Florida and FSU over that time, but obviously the results have not shown that so far.

Pretty solid all around. Assuming Coach 7 is the school that the 2023 WR Shack is at. This series has been pretty good around the country. Couldn’t imagine being a college coach man because these egos are out of control on the HS level. Very curious to know who Coach 2 is because he seems to be in tune with the bag game and not a huge Miami guy.

Also, that Miaim has significantly more blue chips than Florida and FSU over that time, but obviously the results have not shown that so far.
We've seen some impact from better recruiting. Over those five years, we've had three good seasons by recent standards ('16, '17 and '20).

And while there are a lot of reasons why '18 and '19 were abominations, the biggest issues were in the QB room. The relevant time period was really bad for in-state QB prospects and our OOS state QBs weren't as good as the three we have now.

Advertisement
Agreed on the sub. There are some articles that have the same information that you can get from any publication covering Miami (as the information is clearly coming from the same interviews with players/coaches that all of the reporters are at), but then they add articles like this that make it worthwhile.

View attachment 149907

It really is crazy to see that Bama has 50% more 5 stars over (and this is just kids from Florida) the last 5 years than UM/FSU/UF combined. Also, that Miaim has significantly more blue chips than Florida and FSU over that time, but obviously the results have not shown that so far.
I dont even want to comment on this because it just boils my blood. Looking at the schools with multiple 5 stars we should have much higher success, WTF

Some more key numbers from the article:

The state of Florida has produced the most blue-chippers, NFL draft picks and first-round picks during that time period (2016-2021). No surprise there. Only 7 out of 27 first rounders went to in-state schools. Alabama signed 5 alone.

View attachment 149907

The number of 5 star players at Alabama is mind boggling. They pulled more 5 star kids in the last cycle than Miami has in the last decade. They have a huge talent advantage over pretty much every team in the nation besides Georgia and Ohio State. They still have an advantage over those teams, just not as pronounced.

Advertisement
no subscription to read the article any help..wanna decipher these coaches.

I mean in regards to Bama its something we already knew...once they landed Amari Cooper the gates were open and they have landed a 5 star wr from florida anytime the wanted after that

Some more key numbers from the article:

The state of Florida has produced the most blue-chippers, NFL draft picks and first-round picks during that time period (2016-2021). No surprise there. Only 7 out of 27 first rounders went to in-state schools. Alabama signed 5 alone.
Our development is not there. Some will excuse but we have high bluechip numbers than most teams we play

Coaching is the issue whether in-game, recruiting, or development, you can’t get around it. The emergence of the internet has helped our recruiting base be and feel more knowledgeable and connected to other options than the local school who just so happened to have an administration (poor hiring) and identity problem during the same time period. We did this to ourselves.

no subscription to read the article any help..wanna decipher these coaches.

I mean in regards to Bama its something we already knew...once they landed Amari Cooper the gates were open and they have landed a 5 star wr from florida anytime the wanted after that
Part 2 is that they showed WRs in florida that if you come to Bama..we will use you just like we used Coop. Buddy was a Heisman trophy finalist his final year. Cant get more free pub then that.

Hoping Lashlees offense can show major results this season because we have some BIG DAWGS at WR coming out in 2023 and we have to show them that the offense will showcase their talent.

Advertisement
This was probably my favorite quote:

How would you describe the way top schools from outside the state recruit your players? Who does it the best?

Coach 1: Alabama lined up with an entire South Florida secondary when they were on their way to a championship. Alabama is king, and Nick Saban has managed to perfect the formula. And Georgia does whatever they do to get guys.
Coach 1: a Fort Lauderdale area assistant coach and trainer with more than 10 years of experience

This was probably my favorite quote:

How would you describe the way top schools from outside the state recruit your players? Who does it the best?

Coach 1: a Fort Lauderdale area assistant coach and trainer with more than 10 years of experience
Not only were they all from Florida..they were all from South florida to add insult to injury. Smh.

And yes, got a sneak peak into Georgia recruiting by just that one line. LOL.

The number of 5 star players at Alabama is mind boggling. They pulled more 5 star kids in the last cycle than Miami has in the last decade. They have a huge talent advantage over pretty much every team in the nation besides Georgia and Ohio State. They still have an advantage over those teams, just not as pronounced.
Which actually speaks to how Clemson has overachieved and/or is better talent evaluators considering their success to recruiting rankings.

Advertisement
The thing that had me cracking up is the differences in responses to the same question from different coaches..

Question: How would you say school X recruits players

Coach 1: They are lazy, never been to my school and barely even electronically communicate

Coach 2: They are great!

Example

1626449486404.png

Last edited:
Which actually speaks to how Clemson has overachieved and/or is better talent evaluators considering their success to recruiting rankings.
Clemson hit homeruns at the most important position with Watson and Lawrence. Game breakers at QB can help offset some of that talent gap. They've turned up the juice recently though when it comes to signing top players.

Very interesting article with good tidbits.. First off, how the local miami coach seems to be more on mullen and the gators than Miami. But that Trob and DVD are great. I got the sense he's in his feelings about past dealings with Miami, or gets special treatment from Florida.

The Jacksonville coach pretty much ripped UF apart. Seems to be all about miami. Interesting dynamic with the local coaches and nearest schools.

Also, lol at miami coach not answering question about benefits. Maybe he benefited himself from these schools 1🤔

Overall, everyone seems to be fairly high on Miami, Diaz, Troy, and/or DVD. The best part was that most of them, except Tampa, say Miami takes recruiting seriously and does a good job. Also, lol at the one coach saying a school took shots at Miami in negative recruiting for not accomplishing much in a while. I felt like the was Mullens.

Advertisement
Back