Recruiting Chatter - 12/9

View as article
Advertisement
Advertisement
Nah man. I just wanted to believe that we hired a guy that recognized the changing landscape of college football and would make a semi-competent hire on the offensive side of the ball to get the most out of our young players. But I guess you expected to lose convincingly to Florida International University.

What exactly were you planning on getting out of a left tackle who had to put on 50lbs in 6 months to play the position? Qb in a new offense for the 2nd time in two years, with protection issues coming from his blindside? We could have hired Eric Bienemy to run the offense and it would have looked exactly the same. There is no offense in FOOTBALL that will look semi functional without legit protection. The season went the same way the offensive line protected. The games we won they were serviceable including a record breaking game against Louisville. The game we lost see the trench results they were bad which meant the qb game was going to be you guessed it bad. Inexperienced qb and oline meant an up and down season that what you get with young inexperienced players. You could have hired whomever you wanted the two major positions on offense were played by 1st year starters and Nelson did as best he could and that's the way the season went. Hire whomever you want it wont matter until the oline is solid the qb play will be inconsistent.

Isn’t the Vero kid in the 2021 class?
There was one in this class that we looked at hard all spring...Jamari Stewart. But
**** yea dont know HOW i forgot about him. I was speaking of Stewart from Vero...But i like Harrell more than Stewart now that i think of it.

Ya I was thinking when you said Vero you meant Stewart, same area...Haven't heard his name since late spring.

Advertisement
Knighton update from FSU’s 247 site, fwiw. Hopefully he doesn’t make the visit. Can’t blame FSU for trying.

“New FSU OC Kenny Dillingham is already in communication with many Florida State commits, targets, and has identified new targets to pursue before signing day.

I can confirm that Dillingham had a group call on Monday night that included FSU OL commit Zane Herring and Miami RB commit Jaylan Knighton, a former FSU commit. They spoke about getting Knighton back in the class. Dillingham was adamant about him and Norvell’s past success running the football in their offense. It’s unclear if Knighton will make it to FSU for a visit this weekend but I have reason to believe the coaching staff saw him in some capacity Tuesday night.”

Knighton update from FSU’s 247 site, fwiw. Hopefully he doesn’t make the visit. Can’t blame FSU for trying.

“New FSU OC Kenny Dillingham is already in communication with many Florida State commits, targets, and has identified new targets to pursue before signing day.

I can confirm that Dillingham had a group call on Monday night that included FSU OL commit Zane Herring and Miami RB commit Jaylan Knighton, a former FSU commit. They spoke about getting Knighton back in the class. Dillingham was adamant about him and Norvell’s past success running the football in their offense. It’s unclear if Knighton will make it to FSU for a visit this weekend but I have reason to believe the coaching staff saw him in some capacity Tuesday night.”
Desperation lol, he along with the other Miami commits will be on their official visits to Miami this weekend

I figured they would go all out here.

Desperation lol, he along with the other Miami commits will be on their official visits to Miami this weekend

I wouldn't show our teeth just yet here Brock...It isn't the most far fetched thing in the world that Knighton would de-commit, he has decommitted from schools twice already and already told UM to go kick rocks for this particular school once.

You would think his year long relationship with Hickson, would trump Dillingham/Norvell but I've seen stranger things.

Advertisement
The Canes held their largest official visitor contingent of the cycle to date last weekend, hosting 5 prospects including OL Kobe Baynes, TE Darnell Washington, LB Keyshawn Greene, CB Davonte Brown, and S Doneiko Slaughter.

I only have a few tidbits to add from what has already been reported. UM didn't land any silent commits this weekend, and nothing I heard moved the needle enough to put a UM pick in. Some are taking this to mean it was ultimately a bad weekend for Miami, but I'd have to disagree with that for a few reasons.

**For one, the only prospect really on commit watch was Baynes coming in; I'd consider Greene, Washington, and Brown as prospects that were always planning on taking time to think things over instead of a making a decision on the spot. As mentioned on Friday, Slaughter continues to be treated as a Plan B for if things don't work out with Jaiden Francois at safety.

**With that said, Miami did well with Baynes on the trip and my thoughts on him haven't changed; I see him as likely to end up in this class, but I haven't heard anything concrete enough for a pick just yet.

**Where Miami really improved their stock is with Greene, who came into the visit as a bit of a mystery. Obviously, Greene decommitted from FSU on the first day of the trip, a positive sign, but I wanted to get more of a sense if he'd like the city atmosphere of Miami and if he'd fit into the culture. A source directly involved with the visit thought he came off as very comfortable with the environment and that Miami made enough of a move to be considered the leader at this point. A huge unknown factor here is going to be how well he gets along with the new FSU staff this weekend, and I think that's part of why he's trying to keep things open, but UM is certainly in a favorable position going into the final week. It also seems he's settled on signing early as well.

**Brown was a recruit that I'm told was harder to get a read on, but that's not altogether surprising considering he has a very quiet personality. I'm still looking to hear more here.

**I didn't hear anything overly positive on TE Darnell Washington to make me think he is coming at this point, but I don't think it's completely over or anything. I know the staff still has some confidence and liked what they heard on the visit, and that is reflected in sending the entire offensive staff along with Manny Diaz to visit Washington in Vegas today. Feet to the fire, I still consider UGA as the leader until proven otherwise, but sources on the visit felt that he was genuinely keeping an open mind about Miami and engaging with the staff.
I recall reading on this site that we got 3 silent commits last weekend. Guess that was mistaken.

Not worried about knighton and I can’t believe i typed this , but it’s true

Advertisement
So many threads now but what is the update on Height? Wasn’t going to go through each one looking for it. Ivins posted something. Hopefully the kid sees what Greg just did, how Jackson got drafted and that Garvin is gone and the other spot is wide open for early playing time.

The core of the 2020 class seem very solid and tight. I don't see us getting anymore decommits. I think we are fine with RHeight.

I honestly think Francois is just waiting to see what the "posse" does first as he doesn't want to get stuck in Nebraska by himself. I don't think anyone else from SoFla has pulled the trigger yet to Nebraska after like 6 of them went up there for OVs that one weekend. I think he stays with UM if that holds. Just a theory. If he hates UM that much, he would have been pulled the trigger.

What exactly were you planning on getting out of a left tackle who had to put on 50lbs in 6 months to play the position? Qb in a new offense for the 2nd time in two years, with protection issues coming from his blindside? We could have hired Eric Bienemy to run the offense and it would have looked exactly the same. There is no offense in FOOTBALL that will look semi functional without legit protection. The season went the same way the offensive line protected. The games we won they were serviceable including a record breaking game against Louisville. The game we lost see the trench results they were bad which meant the qb game was going to be you guessed it bad. Inexperienced qb and oline meant an up and down season that what you get with young inexperienced players. You could have hired whomever you wanted the two major positions on offense were played by 1st year starters and Nelson did as best he could and that's the way the season went. Hire whomever you want it wont matter until the oline is solid the qb play will be inconsistent.
I'm with you to a degree, I think it is time we do face the truth that we need a difference maker at QB. I read the 247 article about the elite teams. They have consistent QB play. Even if the OL isn't good these guys still make scratch your head decisions under pressure instead of getting rid of the ball or making it back to the LOS at least. I agree though it's hard to run any offense with poor OL play.

Advertisement
Back