Recruiting Budgets: UM 57th our 124

this is pointless. it's not about the documented budget for recruiting. it's all the undocumented use of funds by bigger programs to recruit that matters. you really think hookers, surf and turf, and cars are accounted for in the books? me thinks not

Advertisement
Onlything this explained for me is why Tennessee is in every top 5 of all these kids lately. Hats off to them thoughthey look dedicated to turning the corner.

You have to remember in regards to this budget that just the proximity helps us keep our costs low.

All the athletes we want are nearby hence lower needed budgets. Notre Dame recruits nationally, hence their budgets are going to be higher. Auburn spends double the amount of Texas, and it isn't like Texas doesn't have any money. That's why we see FSU so near us because we often recruit against one another, but they wander a little more into the Bible Belt, due to proximity.

I'm not sure there is a cause and effect with these numbers, but it certainly isn't exclusive of the equation.

This. We can put a championship team together on a tank of gas.

Doesn't seem to be working. Maybe we should switch to a higher octane fuel.

Biggest problem with those numbers is they don't include the bagmen budgets.

School recruiting budgets take a distant 2nd to the bagmen as far as effectiveness per dollar.

We pull top 15 classes virtually every year, and that's with a guy who isn't a very good recruiter (Golden) at the helm.

Advertisement
If my understanding is correct, this is not actually a metric of dollars spent directly by the AD but rather an accounting metric. For example, If DCFinLA lends his G6 jet to coach Golden to fly from Miami to Houston to visit a recruit, there is a dollar amount associated with the loan of DCF's private jet that the university must count as income. As well, DCF gets that level of tax deductible donation. Golden has always been a hound in trying to get the AD to give him more access to stuff like this.

Over 1 mill for both army and air force? America spending my money wrong!

How much does it cost to drive to Central, MNW, STA, BTW?

Does anyone put anything in context? Does anyone understand why Miami ALWAYS has the ability to win? Does anyone understand why this is a great job?
Everyone is brain dead. They just see a number and that's it. I don't even know who gave them that number as UM is very guarded about its private financial info.

UM doesn't need to spend as much as others because we're where everyone else wants to be. I spend less on hotels and airfare to Miami than visitors to Miami do too. Guess why.

Advertisement
How much does it cost to drive to Central, MNW, STA, BTW?

Does anyone put anything in context? Does anyone understand why Miami ALWAYS has the ability to win? Does anyone understand why this is a great job?
Everyone is brain dead. They just see a number and that's it. I don't even know who gave them that number as UM is very guarded about its private financial info.

UM doesn't need to spend as much as others because we're where everyone else wants to be. I spend less on hotels and airfare to Miami than visitors to Miami do too. Guess why.

Bed bugs?

Texas should be ashamed.... the highest grossing University in the Country, and there budget aint translating to the field....Im in Texas now, Ft. Hood army base and a guy I knw at a car dealership he knws Mack Brown and said he got lazy when it came to recruiting, just didnt care no more and he had a House in Tampa to go to when he wanted to do Fla recruiting. ...

Last edited:
Idk why you need a big budget when your a Tank of gas in a car away from MULTIPLE future stars on the next level

Advertisement
The thing that really helps 2016 is the early commitment of QB Jack Allison. QB's usually stick and with him in the bag, the skill guys are gonna wanna play with him. Now if we can get Gibson somehow this year then this class might get decent. Irvin and Johnson I think are coming but ya never know.

Scarlett is coming. If Walton stays in the '16 class then I think we can keep Williams, Cronkite, and Scarlett with Williams being an athlete playing reciever and running back. Cronkite only wants two running backs in this class so it's important that Walton maybe stays in his class. Williams seems to be on board with the athlete role.

Recruiting.. . trending up

Now if this ************ would fix the god **** defense, we might be able to recruit DT's

Get a real coach in here and you will see real recruiting results. Money means nothing when you're located where we are and when you have a terrible coach or in our case 3 terrible hires in a row.

We can win and recruit better than we have, just gotta bring in a competent coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree with pretty much everything people have stated about geographic advantages and recruiting budget. While recognizing that money doesn't equal results (I'm looking at you Texas) more money for recruiting can't be a bad thing can it?

As for the numbers, they are required reporting for all Title IV institutions under the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act. Not everything is required to be disclosed and I haven't looked at the underlying regs, but recruiting expenditures are one of them.

Those numbers aren't just for football.

Doesn't UM have far fewer scholarship sports than do the big schools? I think UM dropped a lot of sports over the years to comply with Title IX.

No men's golf, no wrestling (they should have mixed wrestling, always one of my favorites), no men's rowing, no men's soccer, and no hockey.

I'll bet a lot of the big state schools have some of those sports that UM doesn't have or has dropped. I don't know how many are full or partial scholarship sports, and whether schools spend part of their recruiting budget to recruit even non-scholarship athletes.

Don't forget, those numbers are for all sports recruiting, not just football.

Not a big deal. Being where we are saves us a huge chunk of change. Also, not an expensive market to travel to and from.

Somebody just asked how Tennessee is always involved with recruits down here. There's your answer. I doubt they need to spend much locally compared to Auburn.

Advertisement
Back