Recruiting and portal fix for you animals. Enjoy

The problem is that we have too many JAGs (I am not going to mention names). We have numbers, but we lack difference makers. Ultimately, the roster is a zero sum game.

The harsh reality is that we need a few existing players (WRs, OLs, DLs, and LBs) to transfer out so we can make room for more talented players. I trust Mario and the staff following first-hand evaluation this spring to properly manage the roster.

Advertisement
The problem is that we have too many JAGs (I am not going to mention names). We have numbers, but we lack difference makers. Ultimately, the roster is a zero sum game.

The harsh reality is that we need a few existing players (WRs, OLs, DLs, and LBs) to transfer out so we can make room for more talented players. I trust Mario and the staff following first-hand evaluation this spring to properly manage the roster.
The fanbase knew all along what Mario and staff is just finding out now and that is why many of us were screaming to the heavens why he wasnt much more active in the portal in the first wave. Some fans were saying, "Give the guys a clean slate with the new staff" but some guys didnt deserve a clean slate because it wasnt going to help. They just arent any good..Now we have insiders saying Mario is going to get 7-8 guys in the portal to start filling out the roster. Lets just hope and pray the 2nd wave of portal guys was as good as the first.

I havent second guessed Mario on anything outside of that. I thought we should have been on the level of USC when it came to portal activity. But looks like we will be now post Spring. Better late than never.

The WR room may not be elite, but is it serviceable?

We have an elite QB. He's going make the WRs better. I don't think we abandon them. Looking at our competition, we should only run into problems at WR against TAMU and Clemson.

Comparing this year to last year, we are minus Rambo and Harley. Everyone else should improve thru coaching and maturity.

So, we're basically looking to replace the production of 2 guys. That can come from multiple guys not just 2. I'm looking for George, Brinson, Ladson, Worsham, Redding and both Smith's to all take that next step.

Maybe all of them don't. I believe enough of them will to equal or exceed (as a group) the production of Rambo and Harley. I would argue that collectively, they will exceed last year's production.

The WR core had ruffly 2,150 yards last year. Rambo and Harley had 1,172 and 543 for a total of 1,715 of the 2,150 WR yards. Rambo and Harley were 80% of the WR offense.

I believe the WR group will exceed 2,000 yards and may even eclipse 2,200. We just don't know who the guys are that will stat those numbers.

I think the issue with the CIS family is which prism are we looking at the team?

Are we at championship level? No, and everyone knows that.

Do we have enough to get to the ACC title game? Yes.

Win the ACC? Maybe.

Win 10 games? Yes, the schedule is not difficult outside of 2 games. Doesn't mean we'll win 10 games, but we should given the opponents.

At this point we don't have any identifiable elite WRs outside of perhaps Restrepo. It doesn't mean we don't have any. All the other guys just haven't had development and playing time. I think by the end of Fall camp we'll have multiple capable WRs.
Good rebuttal. I havent given up on these guys yet. I have said in a few threads that if you look at Gattis's history he doesnt go very deep as far as his WR rotation. 4-5 guys tops. Most of the time 4...Look at his WR numbers when he was the WR coach at Bama and look at Michigan last season. 4 WR rotation. So all we need is 4 guys to step up. We have 2..Brinson will be back in Fall..and I think Mario is going to the portal for another WR..The Fall should be fun watching that battle.

Good rebuttal. I havent given up on these guys yet. I have said in a few threads that if you look at Gattis's history he doesnt go very deep as far as his WR rotation. 4-5 guys tops. Most of the time 4...Look at his WR numbers when he was the WR coach at Bama and look at Michigan last season. 4 WR rotation. So all we need is 4 guys to step up. We have 2..Brinson will be back in Fall..and I think Mario is going to the portal for another WR..The Fall should be fun watching that battle.
Thanks. I wasn't trying to give a rebuttal. I just think as fans we want known commodities. We tend to cling to the tidbits of information we get out of these practices. I just think it's way to soon to formulate opinions (not saying you) about who doesn't have the goods. This is Spring practice. It's the time for players to learn and develop. Then they can apply what they've learned into the Summer and then Fall camp.

My response was for the CIS family to take a step back and let's see how these guys develop.

We all want to get to that championship level. When Mario was hired, expectations from our fans changed about our players. It's going to take time not just to flip the roster with elite talent, but to develop the talent that we have.

The current narrative is that the talent level isn't what we think it is and we should lower our expectations. I couldn't disagree even more. Having an expectation to win 10 games doesn't mean we'll win 10 games. However, if you go game by game and say, "Do you expect us to win this game?", you come away expecting 10 wins.

Basically, we've had the best recruiting classes in the Coastal. Those classes haven't played to their recruiting rankings . If we can get that much this year, it would be enough to win 10 games and at least get to the ACC title game. We're at least 3 years away from being at the elite championship level.

Advertisement
There are legit players on our team that could step up with a fresh slate. We have seen them flash here and there and we need them to become consistent and be reliable when called up on. We also have players with the physical tools who could become something with some polish and teaching. We also have players who need to transfer out. David Blane can't turn these man into Miami caliber players. Alot of them are on the OL, and more are on the defense, mainly in the front 7. We need to separate which from which.

I wouldn't mind a major clear out where 15 man transfer. Even if we bring in half that. We have Michigan State portal guy and look at the overhaul they carried out last season. We can't be timid, we cannot deal with passengers. If we start winning immediately, it jump starts the recruiting momentum. Thats what we need.

The staff definitely was on Steen. That is who they wanted. We are going to take OL transfer's. You can't turn these average OL into studs in 2 months with good coaching. We need better talent on the OL. I don't care what is being said about Scaife. He will not be the starting RT. A transfer will. We need more than 1 OL.
I think if Cambell is healthy, he's going to be the right tackle. Anyone coming in is going to have to compete with Campbell. They're not going to be given a spot so you shouldn't assume the starting RT will be a transfer player.

The fanbase knew all along what Mario and staff is just finding out now and that is why many of us were screaming to the heavens why he wasnt much more active in the portal in the first wave. Some fans were saying, "Give the guys a clean slate with the new staff" but some guys didnt deserve a clean slate because it wasnt going to help. They just arent any good..Now we have insiders saying Mario is going to get 7-8 guys in the portal to start filling out the roster. Lets just hope and pray the 2nd wave of portal guys was as good as the first.

I havent second guessed Mario on anything outside of that. I thought we should have been on the level of USC when it came to portal activity. But looks like we will be now post Spring. Better late than never.

Jassid, you and I and bunch of other guys were screaming about the need for those portal kids, lol. I was okay with Mario taking his time because I knew he wanted his staff assembled first and was also working with only partial information and limited tokens. He didn't know exactly which spots were the weakest so didn't want to burn a portal spot. Now he and his coaches know much more than us, which wasn't the case 2 months ago.

The one spot that bothers me is MLB, where we could have gotten Terrence Lewis back, and maye could have pushed those closed to Mikel Jones a little more aggressively on the down low.

But CIS is a swamp sometimes, lol. It's like the two political parties where extremists control the messaging too often. A reasonable fan would ackowledge that the vast majority of kids on roster have the potential to play at an average to high P5 level. That same fan would also point out that the vast majority of these players have not done so and in many cases have regressed or at best flatlined in their development. To avoid criticizing existing players, I'll point to recent WRs like Jeff Thomas, Mark Pope, Dee Wiggins, heck even a guy lke Sam Bruce. They had a ton of potential but didn't convert it into kinetic performance.

So looking at our DL, RT and MLB spots, especially, secondarily WR and CB, there are guys who "could" step up and get us to the ACCCG. But we can't waste TVD on hope. We need results NOW. Bring in guys who have performed on Saturdays, and let the competition determine who deserves to start and be in the rotation.

Advertisement

Anyone interested in being a partner you can reach out to me. DraftKings is endorsing the pod after this release.

Is this a different OBB podcast? I subscribe to them but don't see one released 30 March. Ive got a 31 March "Chapter #15"

Jassid, you and I and bunch of other guys were screaming about the need for those portal kids, lol. I was okay with Mario taking his time because I knew he wanted his staff assembled first and was also working with only partial information and limited tokens. He didn't know exactly which spots were the weakest so didn't want to burn a portal spot. Now he and his coaches know much more than us, which wasn't the case 2 months ago.

The one spot that bothers me is MLB, where we could have gotten Terrence Lewis back, and maye could have pushed those closed to Mikel Jones a little more aggressively on the down low.

But CIS is a swamp sometimes, lol. It's like the two political parties where extremists control the messaging too often. A reasonable fan would ackowledge that the vast majority of kids on roster have the potential to play at an average to high P5 level. That same fan would also point out that the vast majority of these players have not done so and in many cases have regressed or at best flatlined in their development. To avoid criticizing existing players, I'll point to recent WRs like Jeff Thomas, Mark Pope, Dee Wiggins, heck even a guy lke Sam Bruce. They had a ton of potential but didn't convert it into kinetic performance.

So looking at our DL, RT and MLB spots, especially, secondarily WR and CB, there are guys who "could" step up and get us to the ACCCG. But we can't waste TVD on hope. We need results NOW. Bring in guys who have performed on Saturdays, and let the competition determine who deserves to start and be in the rotation.
Better late than never right? Lincoln Riley let the Pac-12 know he is coming to push their **** in THIS YEAR. Not in a few years or next season. TODAY! Like..NOW! LOL. Gotta love that mentality. I think Mario is there now. If he is bringing in 7-8 more portal guys as reported..he is definitely in win now mode. That would bring us to what...13-14 portal guys total? That would definitely make a statement.

Better late than never right? Lincoln Riley let the Pac-12 know he is coming to push their **** in THIS YEAR. Not in a few years or next season. TODAY! Like..NOW! LOL. Gotta love that mentality. I think Mario is there now. If he is bringing in 7-8 more portal guys as reported..he is definitely in win now mode. That would bring us to what...13-14 portal guys total? That would definitely make a statement.
This is exactly how Mario should be looking to handle things. Lincoln Riley doing it right now, Mel Tucker showed us last year that if you hit on the evals you can quickly turn the roster around and build a winner. You can balance a strong recruiting class while also attacking the portal to win now. People seem to think it's one or the other. This ain't Manny. We will recruit high level guys and replace those low/high 3* flier/filler type guys we've been taking and replace them with ready now transfers.

Advertisement
Back