recruiters

I know you are talking about Saban, but interesting tidbit I heard on the radio here in the H yesterday that is somewhat related.

Lance & Granato (Lance Zuerlein and John Granato) are LONG time sports talk hosts here in Houston. Lance’s father was a long time NFL coach and he is pretty heavily involved in the NFL draft evaluation deal every spring. They are also very close with Alonzo Highsmith and Dana Holgorsen (has been on the show several times since becoming UH coach). Anyway, yesterday they were on the subject of CFB and more specifically Mario and UM, and said that we offered Doug Belk the DC position and even shared the amount of coin we offered, which was an insane amount that I won’t even repeat cause it really doesn’t matter at this point lol. Point of the story is they basically implied that a big reason Belk turned down the job is because of the grind/long hours that Mario requires, says it’s non stop and truly is unreal. They mentioned they were at Top Golf with Zo a while back (since he has been employed by UM) and he had to step away because he was on a zoom call with the staff for over 2 hours, lol. Probably not a surprise to most and I’m sure this will be disputed but just sharing since they put it out in public and I found it interesting.
Interesting to think a man nearly twice Belk's age in Steele took the job

Advertisement

Thought the same, but with Belk being much younger and in a great spot with a good defense returning, he can probably afford to wait for something he feels more comfortable with. He will get plenty of opportunities next off season again I’m sure. Steele on the other hand is much more accustomed to the grind and knew he wasn’t about to win **** at Maryland so probably was like let me take advantage of this while I still have some left in the tank.

I know you are talking about Saban, but interesting tidbit I heard on the radio here in the H yesterday that is somewhat related.

Lance & Granato (Lance Zuerlein and John Granato) are LONG time sports talk hosts here in Houston. Lance’s father was a long time NFL coach and he is pretty heavily involved in the NFL draft evaluation deal every spring. They are also very close with Alonzo Highsmith and Dana Holgorsen (has been on the show several times since becoming UH coach). Anyway, yesterday they were on the subject of CFB and more specifically Mario and UM, and said that we offered Doug Belk the DC position and even shared the amount of coin we offered, which was an insane amount that I won’t even repeat cause it really doesn’t matter at this point lol. Point of the story is they basically implied that a big reason Belk turned down the job is because of the grind/long hours that Mario requires, says it’s non stop and truly is unreal. They mentioned they were at Top Golf with Zo a while back (since he has been employed by UM) and he had to step away because he was on a zoom call with the staff for over 2 hours, lol. Probably not a surprise to most and I’m sure this will be disputed but just sharing since they put it out in public and I found it interesting.
Yup. I've heard similar things.
They say he's hard to work for.
But...being a champion isn't easy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just for clarity - you talking about Mario being not easy to work with or Saban? I'm sure it's both, but I have thought the same thing - Mario is the dude, no question - insane energy level, motor, etc...and around guys like that if you aren't on that level you're gonna hate life so would make sense if you're saying that about Mario. Not necessarily a negative just a fair observation.
Mario.
I don't know if it's the Cuban coffee or what, but he's barely human.

Mario.
I don't know if it's the Cuban coffee or what, but he's barely human.

Question: I'm not speaking of appearance, background, coaching tree, or any other specific characteristic -

But of all our football coaches - I'd suggest Howard, ESPECIALLY JIMMY, and also Butch Davis seemed to be highly task oriented - and wanted to win worse than anything. Long hours, good minds, focused - very demanding - and more or less - **** on the rest.

Not to say they couldn't be polite when the situation called for it.

But DRIVEN !

Advertisement
Question: I'm not speaking of appearance, background, coaching tree, or any other specific characteristic -

But of all our football coaches - I'd suggest Howard, ESPECIALLY JIMMY, and also Butch Davis seemed to be highly task oriented - and wanted to win worse than anything. Long hours, good minds, focused - very demanding - and more or less - **** on the rest.

Not to say they couldn't be polite when the situation called for it.

But DRIVEN !
Mario learned this work ethic from Butch....Not Saban.

Actually the ages may help explain it. Belk is younger and has school age children. Mario-type hours may be more than what he's willing to do at this point in life if he wants time to be with his family.

Advertisement
Back