recruiters

Advertisement
It's no secret we've upgraded recruiters across our staff. However, two of the more heralded ones appear to be struggling in Addae and Salava'e. Still plenty of time for them to turn it around but any insight on why these two seem to be struggling more than the others?

Define struggling?

Appreciate the feedback and clarity on Salavea. There wasn't an overreaction in the OP just an observation on two guys who seem to be struggling more than our other coaches on staff recruiting their positions so far but lets let it play out

Advertisement
With Mario, recruiting is all hands on deck. Obviously position coaches have the most contact with their kids, but Mario is also heavily involved. (and he's the closer)

I heard he'll flip out on his guys if they're not recruiting first thing in the morning.

"Why the **** are we sitting around right now?! Why don't have we our phones in our hands, texting/calling recruits?!"

Something along those lines is what I heard.
Joe and Addae are not solely responsible for every DL/DB we're recruiting. I promise you that.
We'll be fine.

Our DT's and DB's in this cycle compared to other position groups.

It’s not just a positional coach that recruits the players. They also have their own areas they cover as well plus HC/OC/DC recruits. It’s already said on the thread Joe was a main recruiter for Francis the OT. This is a group effort for each individual kid

Advertisement
I love The Canes, been rocking w/ Miami for 35 yrs now.

However, if I based my love for the Canes upon some of u mofos, I would’ve been gas, brake, dipped out this bih.

Got ****; some, not all, but SOOOOME of ya’ll act like we didn’t just go 7-5 last yr, or 21-15 the last 3 yrs. U act like this new staff didn’t just get completed w/in the last 6 months. U act like this team didn’t just have one draft pick in last yr’s draft, & that pick came in the 7th round.

Mario & the staff have brought excitement to the program, Ruiz & others have brought a business mind set to the program, & we’ve already seen the results. We’re currently the #9 class w/o a single game being played; yet, some of ya’ll want us to be #1 now??! Lol

We still have to deal w/ the defending Nat’l champs snooping around in our back yard. We still have to deal w/ an O$U program who have lost a total of 13 GAMES in the last 10 yrs sniffing around. We still have to deal w/ Nick & his NFL draft resume. We now have to deal w/ a resurgent MSU program w/ an aggressive, bag trained HC. Oh, and Clemson is still here.

Those teams all have success stories from last season; we don’t. Mario & this staff are well ahead of the curve; not only did they close strong in 2022 after a disastrous season, they’ve come off the blocks even stronger for the class of 2023. Can we play game 1, first, b4 these premature, ungrateful threads?

Last edited:

However, if I based my love for the Canes upon some of u mofos, I would’ve been gas, brake, dipped out this bih.

Got ****; some, not all, but SOOOOME of ya’ll act like we didn’t just go 7-5 last yr, or 21-15 the last 3 yrs. U act like this staff didn’t just get completed w/in the last 6 months. U act like we like this team didn’t just have one draft pick in last yr’s draft, & that pick came in the 7th round.

Mario & the staff has brought excitement to the program, Ruiz & others have brought a business mind set to the program, & we’ve already seen the results. We’re currently the #9 class w/o a single game being played, yet, some of ya’ll want us to be #1 now.

We still have to deal w/ the defending Nat’l champs snooping around in our back yard. We still have to deal w/ an O$U program who have lost a total of 13 GAMES in the last 10 yrs sniffing around. We still have to deal w/ Nick & his NFL draft resume. We now have to deal w/ a resurgent MSU program w/ an aggressive, bag trained HC. Oh, and Clemson is still here.

Those teams all have success stories from last season; we don’t. Mario & this staff are well ahead of the curve; not only did they close strong in 2022 w/ a disastrous season, they’ve come off the blocks even stronger for the class of 2023. Can we play game 1, first, b4 these premature, ungrateful threads?

You nailed it. Most of the overreaction comes from people who likely never ran a small business, much less a multi million dollar enterprise like a major college football program. Even companies that have been good for a long time struggle to get to the next level. And, frankly, we haven't even been "good."

If any of yous have read Good to Great by Jim Collins, you know what I'm talking about.

Got ****; some, not all, but SOOOOME of ya’ll act like we didn’t just go 7-5 last yr, or 21-15 the last 3 yrs. U act like this staff didn’t just get completed w/in the last 6 months. U act like we like this team didn’t just have one draft pick in last yr’s draft, & that pick came in the 7th round.

Mario & the staff has brought excitement to the program, Ruiz & others have brought a business mind set to the program, & we’ve already seen the results. We’re currently the #9 class w/o a single game being played, yet, some of ya’ll want us to be #1 now.

Those teams all have success stories from last season; we don’t. Mario & this staff are well ahead of the curve; not only did they close strong in 2022 w/ a disastrous season, they’ve come off the blocks even stronger for the class of 2023. Can we play game 1, first, b4 these premature, ungrateful threads?
You’re one of the few people that I actually read the long paragraphs from on here lol

Advertisement
With Mario, recruiting is all hands on deck. Obviously position coaches have the most contact with their kids, but Mario is also heavily involved. (and he's the closer)

I heard he'll flip out on his guys if they're not recruiting first thing in the morning.

"Why the **** are we sitting around right now?! Why don't have we our phones in our hands, texting/calling recruits?!"

Something along those lines is what I heard.
Joe and Addae are not solely responsible for every DL/DB we're recruiting. I promise you that.
We'll be fine.
He may get some of that attitude from Saban. Kiffin tells a story that a day after a NC win the staff was in the office, still on a celebratory high. Saban went ‘Saban’ and screamed why aren’t they out recruiting?

Got ****; some, not all, but SOOOOME of ya’ll act like we didn’t just go 7-5 last yr, or 21-15 the last 3 yrs. U act like this new staff didn’t just get completed w/in the last 6 months. U act like we this team didn’t just have one draft pick in last yr’s draft, & that pick came in the 7th round.

Mario & the staff have brought excitement to the program, Ruiz & others have brought a business mind set to the program, & we’ve already seen the results. We’re currently the #9 class w/o a single game being played; yet, some of ya’ll want us to be #1 now??! Lol

Those teams all have success stories from last season; we don’t. Mario & this staff are well ahead of the curve; not only did they close strong in 2022 after a disastrous season, they’ve come off the blocks even stronger for the class of 2023. Can we play game 1, first, b4 these premature, ungrateful threads?
100%. The program has miraculously had a cultural revolution. We‘ve seen high level results, and yes, some for show.

Now, the next step is winning while looking a program on the rise to an elite level. Dominate when we should. Scaring teams presumed to be better than us (TAMU, Clemson). Winning those games that put us over the top. Where you say, ‘maybe that wasn’t an upset’.

More and more talent then sees Miami as a peer to Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Georgia…

We are in it for a lot of top tier guys and some of them won’t decide until after the season….I’m sure we could load our roster up with a bunch on those marginal 4 stars like UFAG is doing but I’d rather wait and have a great season then let Mario and his crew get together and bring in the studs…

I swear some of you guys would be crying with a ham under one arm and a loaf of bread under the other…..

Advertisement
He may get some of that attitude from Saban. Kiffin tells a story that a day after a NC win the staff was in the office, still on a celebratory high. Saban went ‘Saban’ and screamed why aren’t they out recruiting?
I'm sure he picked up a few of those things from Nick. The word is, he can't stand Saban. I've heard multiple people say that, including somebody that used to work for Mario at FIU.

People say he's not easy to work for.
72 hour weeks and extremely early mornings. They say his "grind" is ridiculous.

Got ****; some, not all, but SOOOOME of ya’ll act like we didn’t just go 7-5 last yr, or 21-15 the last 3 yrs. U act like this new staff didn’t just get completed w/in the last 6 months. U act like this team didn’t just have one draft pick in last yr’s draft, & that pick came in the 7th round.

That's why many times I come here to check what's going on then......

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

I'm sure he picked up a few of those things from Nick. The word is, he can't stand Saban. I've heard multiple people say that, including somebody that used to work for Mario at FIU.

Just for clarity - you talking about Mario being not easy to work with or Saban? I'm sure it's both, but I have thought the same thing - Mario is the dude, no question - insane energy level, motor, etc...and around guys like that if you aren't on that level you're gonna hate life so would make sense if you're saying that about Mario. Not necessarily a negative just a fair observation.

I know you are talking about Saban, but interesting tidbit I heard on the radio here in the H yesterday that is somewhat related.

Lance & Granato (Lance Zuerlein and John Granato) are LONG time sports talk hosts here in Houston. Lance’s father was a long time NFL coach and he is pretty heavily involved in the NFL draft evaluation deal every spring. They are also very close with Alonzo Highsmith and Dana Holgorsen (has been on the show several times since becoming UH coach). Anyway, yesterday they were on the subject of CFB and more specifically Mario and UM, and said that we offered Doug Belk the DC position and even shared the amount of coin we offered, which was an insane amount that I won’t even repeat cause it really doesn’t matter at this point lol. Point of the story is they basically implied that a big reason Belk turned down the job is because of the grind/long hours that Mario requires, says it’s non stop and truly is unreal. They mentioned they were at Top Golf with Zo a while back (since he has been employed by UM) and he had to step away because he was on a zoom call with the staff for over 2 hours, lol. Probably not a surprise to most and I’m sure this will be disputed but just sharing since they put it out in public and I found it interesting.

Advertisement
Back