Record vs. "Improvement"

Advertisement
This fan base, along with the program that it supports. Needs to get it's balls out it's woman's purse.

It can't be put in no other way than a failure season. If we are not playing for a National Championship.

There are teams all across the country. That are winning, and winning big. With far less talent than what we have.

There are teams being lead by RFR QB, that are playing on some of the biggest stages in CFB.

Auburn went from a 3-9 program. To a title game. With a ****ing former safety playing QB.

Louisville beat the breaks off a UF team. With a roster full of talent. That guys on here would be slitting their wrist over. If they were being recruited here.

We got all the built in excuse in the world, but at the end of the day. Teams that have less talent. Teams that have no Saban building a dynasty. Are winning, and doing it every year.

It seems, in order for us to win here. We need a Jimmy, or a Howard. We need a Johnny, or a Bradford. Yet who in the **** were these guys. Prior to becoming what they are?

It's a shame when our fan base is hoping to just reach the ACCCG. "If we reach it, i will feel it was a success" ***** that ****.

Spoken like a true Cane. Its sickening how on one end many in our fan base have just become complacent with mediocrity yet on the other end are always preaching about our great history when those upset with the results point to another programs succeeding. Take your head out the sand and realize what is going on around us, we got blown out by Duke. All I heard about the 2012 class was how loaded it was, how the **** are you then gonna use the excuse that we dont have talent when that class is in their third year. The time is now, I dont think we are on FSU's level at the moment but we should be killing everyone else on our schedule....

Okay, new scenario - same exact record, but we win the Coastal and lose the ACCCG. Let's say our losses are to FSU (2X), UL, Nebraska, and VT.

Success or failure?

Fail. We have more talent than all of those teams except FSU. VT is going to be a mess on offense once again this year. Louisville lost a lot of talent - I don't care if they added neckbrace. Nebraska is not even a shell of it's former self.

IDK why people talk down on Duke.. They did give TA&M a run for their money, A&M would **** on Miami.

Advertisement
Time to really blow this thread up - would you all agree that Duke is the favorite to win the Coastal this year? (Defending champs, return a LOT of starters, etc. etc.)

absolutely
fckin Duke lol no chance we lose to them 2 years in a row right? Right???

201.jpg

Advertisement
I really don't give a **** about the stat rankings, or what it looks like on the field. I just want hardware and if "improvement" doesn't yield more wins, my conversation with fellow fans won't be about the pride in the top 20 defense, it will be about the coaching search. simple as that.

Regardless of next season's outcome, Al won't be going anywhere. You guys need to accept that. The NCAA mess he inherited has bought him at least 2 more years and the uncertainty at QB only makes that more of a certainty. To the topic at hand, IF(big if) we get solid QB play, then I don't see anyway that we go worse then 10-2 with an ACCCG appearance. Anything less and I would be disappointed. I think the D will be improved but a lot is riding on one of these young QBs to get it by September.

Advertisement
People are still pretending we lost to a 5 win Duke team, lol.

huh

people act like that loss to duke was terrible, it wasn't, duke was a solid team, with a good coach that's been building that program for 7 years. Our worst loss last year was VT, and we had too many special teams turnovers to allow us to win that game..

The loss to Duke was bad. We gave up 48 points, that was tied for the most they scored all season. We had the lead 17-7 at the end of the first quarter and was driving at the start of the second (thanks Morris).

Somehow NC Central, Memphis, Troy and Navy held them to under 45 points. This game was bad. It is one thing to lose a nail bitter, it is another thing to allow 48 points to Duke.

Advertisement
I've considered similar hypothetical situations and I think the combination of definitive defensive improvement AND offensive potential, particularly at QB, AND a bowl win would probably buy Golden (and D'Onofrio) another year.

A few factors to consider in your scenario:
-whether the freshman QB shows an ability to "bounce back" from costing us a game (or making boneheaded plays in general), OR whether one mistake-prone freshman is replaced by another who outperforms him (say, Olsen loses us a few but Kaaya steps in and tears it up).
-how close we play fsu. the gap was too big last year, and i don't expect to win this season, but we disappeared in the second half
-whether our bowl win is impressive; if we beat a solid SEC team convincingly, for example, it could set things up for a lot of 2015 hype
-HEALTH and depth; i'm not even going to name names because I don't want to jinx us. But injuries happen and our roster needs to show that it's deeper than its been in a long time.

"uy Golden ... another year"? Regardless of how bad this season plays out, I would be shocked if he were fired. I don't think it is remotely realistic to expect this administration to fire Golden, outside of recruiting scandal, after 2014.

Don't get your hopes up about a new coach, unless miraculously he leaves on his own for some other opportuntiy. And that ship likely sailed with UCLA two years ago, and more so with PSU this year.

IMO our worst loss last year was Louisville, and it's not close.

It was such a demoralizing loss. So much was on the line for that game. No bowl game for the previous two years, and going up against a very good team with a substantial number of S. Fla. players, particularly Bridgewater. It's inconceivable that we could perform so poorly.

IMO our worst loss last year was Louisville, and it's not close.

But that's a one loss team, ie a good team.. VT was a pretty mediocre team that crushed us, with our already bad defense, all of the special teams blunders didn't help.

People are still pretending we lost to a 5 win Duke team, lol.

huh

people act like that loss to duke was terrible, it wasn't, duke was a solid team, with a good coach that's been building that program for 7 years. Our worst loss last year was VT, and we had too many special teams turnovers to allow us to win that game..

The loss to Duke was bad. We gave up 48 points, that was tied for the most they scored all season. We had the lead 17-7 at the end of the first quarter and was driving at the start of the second (thanks Morris).

Somehow NC Central, Memphis, Troy and Navy held them to under 45 points. This game was bad. It is one thing to lose a nail bitter, it is another thing to allow 48 points to Duke.

i count "good and bad" losses depending on the quality of the team the play.. yes.. losing 40- 0 is a bad loss.. but if that's against the best team in the country, it's whatever... losing 35 - 21 to a "decent" team, or losing 35-21 to a mediocre team ( VT) i'm going to count the loss to a mediocre team as a worse loss.

Advertisement
Back