Record vs. "Improvement"

Advertisement
This fan base, along with the program that it supports. Needs to get it's balls out it's woman's purse.

It can't be put in no other way than a failure season. If we are not playing for a National Championship.

There are teams all across the country. That are winning, and winning big. With far less talent than what we have.

There are teams being lead by RFR QB, that are playing on some of the biggest stages in CFB.

Auburn went from a 3-9 program. To a title game. With a ******* former safety playing QB.

Louisville beat the breaks off a UF team. With a roster full of talent. That guys on here would be slitting their wrist over. If they were being recruited here.

We got all the built in excuse in the world, but at the end of the day. Teams that have less talent. Teams that have no Saban building a dynasty. Are winning, and doing it every year.

It seems, in order for us to win here. We need a Jimmy, or a Howard. We need a Johnny, or a Bradford. Yet who in the **** were these guys. Prior to becoming what they are?

It's a shame when our fan base is hoping to just reach the ACCCG. "If we reach it, i will feel it was a success" ***** that ****.

I haven't been following but I'm in the ACC championship game or bust crowd. It's time, though I don't think we're back where we want to be. I think the following year is when we make a huge jump into the national picture.

I'm also ok if we lose every game and beat FSU.

Advertisement
Time to really blow this thread up - would you all agree that Duke is the favorite to win the Coastal this year? (Defending champs, return a LOT of starters, etc. etc.)

absolutely

absolutely not. Zero excuse for us not being the best team in the Coastal. Top to bottom we have more talent than they could ever hope to have. Compare the recruiting classes between Duke and Miami over the last 2, 3, 5, 7 or whatever period of time you want.

The only place they completely outclass us is coaching. Talent isn't the excuse.

Time to really blow this thread up - would you all agree that Duke is the favorite to win the Coastal this year? (Defending champs, return a LOT of starters, etc. etc.)

absolutely

absolutely not. Zero excuse for us not being the best team in the Coastal. Top to bottom we have more talent than they could ever hope to have. Compare the recruiting classes between Duke and Miami over the last 2, 3, 5, 7 or whatever period of time you want.

The only place they completely outclass us is coaching. Talent isn't the excuse.

We should be the Coastal favorites.

Advertisement

absolutely

The only place they completely outclass us is coaching. T
alent isn't the excuse.

Umm exactly

Hence Duke > Miami until proven otherwise

Duke, you think Duke is going to repeat in the Coastal....no chance. Brandon Connette just transferred. He had 27 touchdowns last season. They won't go 6-2 in the ACC again either. Last year they barely beat VT and UNC, they won by a combined 5 points. My guess is they go closer to 4-4 in conference as well.

VT has a better chance. Their toughest games are @ UNC and us.

My guess is 6-2 gets it done (assuming we beat VT) in the coastal.

If we don't go to ACCCG, this year was not a success. Nonetheless, I am certainly intrigued by your hypothetical of us showing up, playing well, and winning a bowl game. I think I would enjoy it.

Advertisement
Question for the board -

Let's say for the sake of argument our record this year is 8-4 regular season, just missing the ACCCG but a bowl win gets us to 9-4. Let's assume also that our defense is top-30 (stay with me...) Our offense sustains drives and at times looks unstoppable - we blow out some lower-tier teams, play the good ones close BUT our freshman QB (Olsen or Kaaya or Rosier or whomever) costs us at least one game, maybe even two with an ill-timed INT, costly fumble, failed last drive, etc.

How would you judge a season like that? Failure? Success? Both?

Failure for me. I think we should lose two games only because of the ball bouncing the wrong way with the Qb.

:ohlord:

Over the last two years, the Hurricanes are the only unit in the ACC to allow over six yards per play in conference games.

but the pass rush (just 12 sacks in ACC games last year)

Consider this: Virginia Tech's offense finished 99th or worse among FBS teams last year in total, scoring and rushing offense yet the Hokies still won eight games.

they pretty much hit rock bottom (100th in points per game and 102nd in yards per game).

And consider what they did to us in a ******* monsoon.

The Hurricanes finished ranked No. 13 in total defense in the ACC last season -- that's out of 14 total teams. '13 was such a bad year on that side of the ball that UM recorded a meager 12 sacks in eight conference games, not exactly a stat to brag about for such a vaunted program.

Didn't Golden go on Joe Rose and brag about our defensive "improvement?"

Advertisement
Okay, new scenario - same exact record, but we win the Coastal and lose the ACCCG. Let's say our losses are to FSU (2X), UL, Nebraska, and VT.

Success or failure?

Complete failure, especially if Al retains his job. If you lose 5 games in your 4th year at Miami, it tells me you just cant get us to the elite level we used to be at......

No. Don't agree at all. While they beat us last year they weren't a better team, especially with a healthy Duke Johnson.
I expect Duke to improve marginally if any. While I expect us to improve considerably on all phases from last year.
Don't get me wrong, they're a well coached team that if you let them hang around can beat you. Last year we failed to put them away when had the chance. Kicked to many FG's when down in the red zone where a couple of TD's would have killed their spirits. They hung around and Morris and Co **** the bed while our thin defense got gassed. This season order will be restored.

coastal or bust!!

VT is breaking in a new QB and losing to duke back to back years is humiliating

It's their D that does us in. Bud Foster is a helluva DC but his plays/philosophy have been the same for the better part of a decade. He blitzes early often and always. There are almost always at least 6 rushing or a 7th man inside to stack up against the run daring you to beat their back 4. Funny thing is for whatever reason we wont attack that back 4 to make them sorry for it. Every year we play them scared on O letting them tee off on whomever is carrying or throwing the ball.

Advertisement
Back