Recent Draft History

jmbflame21

Junior
After today's Pro Day I decided to look into our NFL draft history to see when was the last time we've had such a drought of elite talent at Miami.

*I saw that we havent had a 1st round pick drafted since Kenny Phillips in 2008 (and he was the last pick of the round).... that made me really sad...

*this 4 draft period (2009-2012) *5 if you count this upcoming draft* is the longest without a 1st rounder since a 2 draft span =1993 (But we had 4 2nd rounders) and 1994 (we had 1 2nd rounder).

*We have had only 2 2nd round picks in the last 4 drafts*

BUT we still have the most 1st round picks from (1980-2012):

1. THE U 50
2. USC 46
3. OSU 37
4. UF 35
5. Tenn. 35
6. FSU 33
7. Bama 29
8-t. PSU 27
8-t. Texas 27
9. Michigan 23
10. Georgia 21

*Bama had a span of 7 drafts (2001-2007) without a 1st round pick, and now have had 11 1st round picks in the last 4 drafts.

So that should give us hope that we can return to the level we once were.

Lets hope maybe Seantrel can play himself into the 1st round with a big year in 2013. Maybe Morris can get in there too if he has another record breaking season.

Who do you all think will be our next 1st rounder?

Advertisement
Miami's had some good pros since 2008, just not first rounders.

2009 was light. Spencer Adkins (career ST looking for a team), Bruce Johnson (talented pro but injury-plagued) and Antonio Dixon (shown flashes but a journeyman at this point).

2010 was stacked with two guys who will soon be multimillionaires, Jimmy Graham and Sam Shields.

2011 is showing promise with Orlando Franklin (started every game of his career), Colin McCarthy (best player on the Titans when healthy) and Matt Bosher. Leonard Hankerson could make a leap or stay inconsisent, Allen Bailey and Richard Gordon are role players, and Brandon Harris and DVD are fringe-players.

In the 2012 class, Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller show real potential. Benjamin is going to have a role and pray for Sean Spence.

Miami's had some good pros since 2008, just not first rounders.

2009 was light. Spencer Adkins (career ST looking for a team), Bruce Johnson (talented pro but injury-plagued) and Antonio Dixon (shown flashes but a journeyman at this point).

2010 was stacked with two guys who will soon be multimillionaires, Jimmy Graham and Sam Shields.

2011 is showing promise with Orlando Franklin (started every game of his career), Colin McCarthy (best player on the Titans when healthy) and Matt Bosher. Leonard Hankerson could make a leap or stay inconsisent, Allen Bailey and Richard Gordon are role players, and Brandon Harris and DVD are fringe-players.

In the 2012 class, Olivier Vernon and Lamar Miller show real potential. Benjamin is going to have a role and pray for Sean Spence.

Good stuff D

Advertisement
After today's Pro Day I decided to look into our NFL draft history to see when was the last time we've had such a drought of elite talent at Miami.

*I saw that we havent had a 1st round pick drafted since Kenny Phillips in 2008 (and he was the last pick of the round).... that made me really sad...

*this 4 draft period (2009-2012) *5 if you count this upcoming draft* is the longest without a 1st rounder since a 2 draft span =1993 (But we had 4 2nd rounders) and 1994 (we had 1 2nd rounder).

*We have had only 2 2nd round picks in the last 4 drafts*

BUT we still have the most 1st round picks from (1980-2012):

1. THE U 50
2. USC 46
3. OSU 37
4. UF 35
5. Tenn. 35
6. FSU 33
7. Bama 29
8-t. PSU 27
8-t. Texas 27
9. Michigan 23
10. Georgia 21

*Bama had a span of 7 drafts (2001-2007) without a 1st round pick, and now have had 11 1st round picks in the last 4 drafts.

So that should give us hope that we can return to the level we once were.

Lets hope maybe Seantrel can play himself into the 1st round with a big year in 2013. Maybe Morris can get in there too if he has another record breaking season.

Who do you all think will be our next 1st rounder?

DP if he can stay healthy and stays till his Senior year.

Advertisement
Back