Reasons why Mario is struggling to find a staff?

Advertisement
personally I have no idea if he is struggling or this is going mostly according to plan. what i do wonder is whether mario has the extensive rolodex that some coaches have. a lot of coaches have a lot of friends amongst their peers. for example i know you guys will mock but manny. James Franklin hired Manny because he got to know him over the years at coaching conventions etc. Manny hired quite a few of his assistants because of prior relationships. you have to wonder if Mario has those relationships beyond his core Oregon staff.

You don't have to wonder. All you need to do is do a little googling. Think of the relationships he made at Miami and where some of those people went, including some becoming HCs and coordinators, and who they worked with, the high level coaches he developed at FIU that went on to big jobs and some of the better coaches that worked for those guys, and of course the time he spent at Alabama where he was AHS/RC/OL under Saban and where all those guys scattered to and who they've worked with... then of course he was tapped to be Co-OC at Oregon where he made some west coast connections, and as we saw grabbed his three best coaches (out of 10) from their Pac-12 Championship Rose Bowl winning program.

The guy is 51 and has been at this for a good while. Again, he was a coordinator at the #1 program in the country (and SEC) for 5 years.

Oh, and I hear that Mario, the high-energy very personable recruiter of the year, has been to a coaching convention or 20... but I guess that only works for James Franklin and Manny Diaz. :)

Hey Canes it will be February in 6 days. I for one don’t know why we don’t have an OC or DC locked down and on campus. I thought it would be 1st order of business.
And thats why you're not the HC. First order of business in the limited time window .. is recruiting. Has also "been reported" that Mario has told recruits that 90% of his staff would be hired by this Friday. Two more days. So .. let's see what happens.

I think the one thing Mario does have, if we want to say he doesn't have an expansive rolodex, is a shinny new long term lucrative contract at a school that has won 5 titles with 4 different coaches. Other coaches have to see that and the rest of the commitment and understand this is different than taking on Manny where most of us were on a countdown to when it was over from early on. So we'll see how it goes.

I think the one thing Mario does have, if we want to say he doesn't have an expansive rolodex, is a shinny new long term lucrative contract at a school that has won 5 titles with 4 different coaches. Other coaches have to see that and the rest of the commitment and understand this is different than taking on Manny where most of us were on a countdown to when it was over from early on. So we'll see how it goes.
true and should be a huge factor. seemingly no reason why he wouldn't be able to have the pick of the litter.

Advertisement
Incredibly indecisive is more like it. It shouldn't take that long to hire someone for a coordinator position. I'm sorry but no. I like Mario and I support him completely, but a coach doesn't need THAT MUCH TIME to hire a staff. As I said, there are coaches in CFB and the pros that have accomplished more than Mario that don't need to prolong this process of hiring a staff. You got the resources and you have interviewed everyone....make a decision.
You are absolutely right and I agree with you 100% but you can't say these types of things around here. You are not allowed to criticize anything about Mario even if you support him lest you be accused of moping and causing negativity.

I know if I was a OC with a handpicked staff I would not want to go to a school unless I could bring my guys (those who want to come) with me.

Does this play a factor with some guys as we have several guys already hired?

Anyway, what might be some other reasons why we are approaching month two since Mario’s hire and have no OC or DC and have lost our DB coach.

How the **** should I know, Connie?
1643409831629.png

Advertisement
Genius: How do you know this is a fact? LOL Are you so far up his *** that you know that is a fact and what is not?
Not sure if posted but Ferman added some more color to the OC situation. Briles was never offered but we knew that already. Toledo wasn't gonna offer someone on their staff the HC job, and because we already had a bunch of the position spots filled on O, Candle was gonna leave those guys hanging. He went back and forth but ultimately decided to stick around for them. Yes I know its Ferman...
Hmmmm.

You don't have to wonder. All you need to do is do a little googling. Think of the relationships he made at Miami and where some of those people went, including some becoming HCs and coordinators, and who they worked with, the high level coaches he developed at FIU that went on to big jobs and some of the better coaches that worked for those guys, and of course the time he spent at Alabama where he was AHS/RC/OL under Saban and where all those guys scattered to and who they've worked with... then of course he was tapped to be Co-OC at Oregon where he made some west coast connections, and as we saw grabbed his three best coaches (out of 10) from their Pac-12 Championship Rose Bowl winning program.

The guy is 51 and has been at this for a good while. Again, he was a coordinator at the #1 program in the country (and SEC) for 5 years.

Oh, and I hear that Mario, the high-energy very personable recruiter of the year, has been to a coaching convention or 20... but I guess that only works for James Franklin and Manny Diaz. :)
Many of Manny’s hires were former GAs following him from LA Tech and/or Mississippi State, like Baker, Banda and Patke. Stroud he knew from FSU, and Simpson was a Richt hire brought back. Diaz is a stump trying to grow into a coaching tree.

Last edited:
Advertisement
And thats why you're not the HC. First order of business in the limited time window .. is recruiting. Has also "been reported" that Mario has told recruits that 90% of his staff would be hired by this Friday. Two more days. So .. let's see what happens.
It’s Friday night and still no OC or DC hires.

Mario’s been on the job for almost 2 months now, spring practice begins in about a month.

Tick tock.

Do you realize that some of you idiots are trying to posture yourself as knowing more about hiring a staff than Mario? Stick with penile *********ion rather than intellectual *********ion.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back