Reasons last series rest on the ball was correct.

1. Hind sight is 20/20 it worked.
2. Freshman Qb. No 2 min drill. Lots of risks.
3. Borregales vs. Clemson kicker is night and day.
4. Clemson D line was gassed.
5. OT. has no clock. Can run at will. No way were we making it down the field without running. Wasn’t doable with the little time left.

Good call Mario.
Well, if we have to play Emory again, can we please for the love of god practice the 2 minute drill with him? That seems pretty f*ckin obvious, but our coach is becoming notorious for not noticing really obvious sh*t!

Advertisement
I don’t know how many times out of 100 we win doing what we did, but whatever, it worked last night.

Without knowing the statistics, I’d guess winning in regulation favors the underdog with a first time starter.

Yeah, Emory played better in the 2H but I’d have tried to get Borreagles a shot and tried one back shoulder throw rather than ask my 1st time starter to handle the ball 12 more times.

All roads carry risk.

It absolutely was. They were definitely trying to score at the outset. Then when they couldn’t figure out the play and let the clock run down to 23 ticks or whatever …. Then the decision was made to call it. They shouldn’t have had to even be in that position.
Sigh. No.

It was the wrong decision. Use your timeout, call three plays. You don’t have to get many yards to be in range. Run the ball if you want.

we had zero chance of running a hurry up. all of the action was happening directly in front of me. emory and dawson were having difficulty communicating and emory just couldn't get everyone lined up. it was a litle chaotic.

Advertisement
Or take a shot downfield with about 10 seconds left. If it is complete you call the time out and try the field goal. Even if intercepted, Clemson is too far away to do anything (**** you Georgia Tech for making me question this last statement).

I've gone through the scenarios, and was thinking about maybe a little underneath pass to B. Smith and seeing if he could get some YAC, but then I remembered his inexcusable fumble when he was cruising to the end zone. So pretty much every play I could think of ended up with an INT or fumble, QB sack/strip fumble, or some kind of shocking turnover that we've never seen before like the refs awarding the ball to Clemson because of an obscure rule that hasn't been enforced since 1897. So kudos to Cristobal for not taking unnecessary chances- seems he actually DID learn something from the GT game.

This is the best defense we'll face all year and there is a discussion whether your true freshman QB with not enough experience to run a two minute drill in a College Game against Clemson should have been put in a clear dropback pass situation.

I... Man. Have y'all paid any attention the past 20 years?

Best shot winning against Clemson was OT.

Mario spoke about it on Joe Rose also this AM. All the points above are right. Also, they started on the 28. 1st play was a pass. Offense was running well. So they took a chance at a run for a big play. He said Channey got banged up on that play and came off slow. Clock ran. Mentioned how big Chaney was in pass pro. They still took another shot and incomplete. Rather than force anything with Williams, they took it to OT for the right decisions.

Would I have rathered more shots and urgency, yes. But if Emory turns it over or we give the ball back. Mario is might be getting crucified still.

This is the best defense we'll face all year and there is a discussion whether your true freshman QB with not enough experience to run a two minute drill in a College Game against Clemson should have been put in a clear dropback pass situation.

I... Man. Have y'all paid any attention the past 20 years?

Best shot winning against Clemson was OT.

To lose to GT, every fluke thing that coaches worry about happening had to happen. Mario was justifiably raked over the coals for not having TVD take a knee. Now, imagine if, instead of (not) fumbling, Don pulls a Breshard and goes to the house with it (minus the boneheaded celebration-preparation fumble....and, ahem, on a run up the middle, guysm). Is our fanbase crowing about Dawson's 'killer instinct' (a la the late deep ball against aTm), or are they still crucifying Mario for not having TVD take a knee?

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of actual coaches (and corches, too, but not including wannabes who only corch on Madden) would have made the same decisions under the same circumstances that Mario et al. made against Clumpson. Likewise, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of coaches (and corches) would have taken a knee against GT. This staff pushed their luck against aTm, and succeeded. They pushed their luck again with GT and got epically burned. I'm not at all surprised that, under these particular circumstances (TF QB making 1st start, Clumpson has an elite D, GT debacle still fresh in their minds), they decided not to push their luck again....extend the game, trust the trenches, trust the dominant (up to then) D, trust the crowd, get the TF QB closer to the goal line with no clock, win it in OT. It paid off this time. Next time, it might not.

The end justifies the means, guysm.....except when they don't.

Advertisement
5. OT. has no clock. Can run at will. No way were we making it down the field without running. Wasn’t doable with the little time left.

Good call Mario.

Nope...

Not from that close to midfield…Not with that much time…Not with a timeout. On your own 20, I could see it. 20-25 secs left, no timeouts…Sure.

And you can still lose the game in OT and we almost did. And Borreagles is as big a reason as any for trying to go. You needed 20-22 more yards. I don't care if you run or throw deep. But there's nothing wrong with not advancing and punting with 15 seconds left.

This was brutally over cautious.

John Madden used to criticize the Patriots for sending out Tom Brady against the Rams. Now people go "but look at what Tom did".

Brady almost got strip-sacked on the first play. Imagine if they did.

Good call Mario.
Then why not take a knee? I just looks like he doesn't know what to do in that position & unprepared.

Advertisement
On Joe Rose this morning, he asked Mario specifically about that sequence. Mario said Don got hurt on the first play and was trying to decide whether to come out or stay in. The refs stopped the clock for a short period, Don went out and the refs started the clock right away. There was some confusion due to all of this and they finally got a play called and decided to just run the clock out and go to OT. He said the initial plan was to try and gain enough yards to allow Andy to kick a FG.

But there's nothing wrong with not advancing and punting with 15 seconds left.

Other than potentially botching the long snap, blowing the protection (like aTm game), pulling a Feagles Jr. negative yardage shank and losing on a hail mary, blowing the punt coverage....

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong? There's risk in every decision. Probably 999 times out of 1000 (or maybe even 99,999 times out of 100,000?), we beat GT whether Mario decides to kneel or not. He got burned, and crucified. No freaking way was he going to go against the grain this time.

Wrong or right decision, it's perfectly clear this staff has zero clock or time out management skills and have no idea about tempo or how to run a 2 minute offense with either TVD or EW.

Advertisement
Sigh. No.
Sigh. Read the quote:

“On Joe Rose this morning, he asked Mario specifically about that sequence. Mario said Don got hurt on the first play and was trying to decide whether to come out or stay in. The refs stopped the clock for a short period, Don went out and the refs started the clock right away. There was some confusion due to all of this and they finally got a play called and decided to just run the clock out and go to OT. He said the initial plan was to try and gain enough yards to allow Andy to kick a FG.”

Wanted to get Andy in range but there was confusion, which wasted time, which led to the decision to eat the timeout and pack it up. This is a clock management failure.

Stick to the what you know on the baseball board.

Since we won the game.... I would have laughed my butt off after the game had Mario made Williams kneel to end the game. You know, just to practice that formation.

Sure I would have probably blown a fuse at the time, but after winning, I'd have thought it was funny. Victory formation to send it into OT? Yeah, that'd be some ballsy stuff.

Other than potentially botching the long snap, blowing the protection (like aTm game), pulling a Feagles Jr. negative yardage shank and losing on a hail mary, blowing the punt coverage....

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong? There's risk in every decision. Probably 999 times out of 1000 (or maybe even 99,999 times out of 100,000?), we beat GT whether Mario decides to kneel or not. He got burned, and crucified. No freaking way was he going to go against the grain this time.

Lol…So mention all those things in your first paragraph…And compare that to simply losing in overtime.

You are on the 42, time is not an issue, and you have a timeout…I'm usually incredibly cautious with this stuff, but the last thing you should be thinking is we gotta get to overtime.

It's flawed and dangerously stupid.

Lol…So mention all those things in your first paragraph…And compare that to simply losing in overtime.

You are on the 42, time is not an issue, and you have a timeout…I'm usually incredibly cautious with this stuff, but the last thing you should be thinking is we gotta get to overtime.

It's flawed and dangerously stupid.
it wasn´t. williams was struggling to understand the play and get everyone lined up. it all happened literally in front of me and you can see him asking Dawson for clarification or help. he was lost.

Advertisement
Back