Reasons last series rest on the ball was correct.

I hate to be negative because there’s a bunch of positive signs about what mario is building..But he’s a worse game day coach than i could have ever imagined.

Please get someone to assist him in the booth man, alot of coaches have it

Last edited:
Advertisement
Many on the board are insisting that our staff made the wrong decision in taking the game into overtime rather than trying to get into field goal range.....

Funny since the final score says it was the right decision. BTW.....there was no guarantee that Borregales makes the long kick.
Agreed. At the time I wanted them to win it in regulation. But looking back it made sense, we were finding our groove in the 4th and asserting the lines of scrimmage... it was a good coaching decision on Mario's part for a change.

the assumptions that some are making (in my opinion incorrectly) is that there was no risk in pushing to win at the end.

1) emory was really mismanaging time so there's no guarantee we would have even had time to do it
2) a pick was **** near likely as our only success to that point throwing was when the box was stacked, not in that situation where there would be 8 in coverage
3) fumble, punt, pick, etc. anything at all happens and Clemson has to make 1-2 plays tops to win the game with a FG
4) if we had TVD they'd have gone for it

Clemson had 5 yards in the 4th quarter, and a bad kicker. I think Mario weighed risk reward and even if some disagree, it's hard to say it was a bad choice

Advertisement
Whenever Miami does something correct our fans will:

Say we are lucky for doing so.

Say the gameplan should have been better for "X Y Z"

We are "lacking talent" but then against a team like Clemson abuse them when they know we're coming and shut them down :crickets:

It is the same ole crap 24/7

If you gave a standard Cane fan a 1 hour show the first 5 minutes would be congratulatory and the last 55 crying.

Exhausting

Cannot enjoy anything

My thought during the game:

1. They have had kicker problems all season
2. Klubnik is trash
3. We were shoving the ball down their throat on the ground in the 4th qtr
4. The crowd was a factor

I also wanted to see us try one long pass play that drive. Get one first down, then try to gain a nice chunk. A middle of the road approach.

Many on the board are insisting that our staff made the wrong decision in taking the game into overtime rather than trying to get into field goal range.....

Funny since the final score says it was the right decision. BTW.....there was no guarantee that Borregales makes the long kick.
It was the wrong decision but it worked out. Not sure what's hard to understand about that.

If Van Dyke is healthy and playing, Miami doesn't sit on that ball. That was 100% due to a true freshman quarterback making his first start, with 15 career reps under his belt.

We literally just saw Georgia Tech go 74 yards on two completions—with no timeouts—in 25-seconds the last time Miami was on this field.

Talk about damned if you do as a coach and damned if you don't.

Go back to the aTm game after that terrible start; Miami trailing 17-14 with :53 left in the half—got super-aggressive and drove 75 yards on six plays for a touchdown to take the halftime lead—they didn't sit on the ball there.

Dawson has proven he's aggressive; the 3rd-and-8 hook-up with TVD and George to help close-out the Aggies... they just didn't want to do anything foolish with a true freshman quarterback when overtime was guaranteed at that point.
I understand your point. However, there was nothing "damned if you do, damned if you don't" about GT as a coach. Come up with a better example. Take a knee and you win against GT, which is why it is so GD frustrating and embarrassing.

I will say this, IF Clemson did gain that single yard on 4th and Goal, the 2 point conversion, and won the game last night, it would be interesting to see how many "sitting on the ball" was the right decision people would be posting today. Not many and I'd bet some would be busting Mario's balls for not doing it.

Yes, you don't want to put too much pressure on the young QB's shoulders, but you had put the pressure on his shoulders to get in position to be there in the first place. It doesn't even need to be passes downfield at all. Plenty of high percentage options available.

Advertisement

Regardless, there’s a thread on this, and it’s clearly labeled and at the top of the forum list. You could have simply added your opinion into that one so I merged your thread into that thread.

You want the freshman on a short field in overtime. He was gaining confidence while both sides of the ball were kicking clemsons ***. It was definitely the right call as calling the time out before the final play. Some here just won’t give Mario any credit. That 4th quarter whoop *** almost made me forget 20 years of quitting.

I hate to be negative because there’s al much positive signs about what mario is building..But he’s a worse game day coach than i could have ever imagined.

Please get someone to assist him in the booth man, alot of coaches have it
1000%. I knew he would be quite a ride (pause) but he's been terrible

I guess it comes down to personal preference. Be conservative and try and manage the game or be aggressive and try and win. Despite a few okay passes Williams is very raw. I understand if some do not like it but I do not think the coach’s decisions, in this case, warrant all that much criticism.

Advertisement
They were in a similar spot before half against A&M and went down the field and didn’t look as disjointed as they did last night.

Every call Mario makes is the right call
Screenshot 2023-10-22 144643.png

Freshman QB in first start against a top 10 defense with very good corners and DL. No way do I risk a strip sack or a pick. Not to mention how often has EW repped the 2 min offense with the 1st team if at all? While you could tell the game was slowing down for him I’m not going to put it on his shoulders to play 2000 Dorsey against FSU.
yeah this is the thing that people are missing. with TVD being a game time decision my money is that Emory had next to no experience running 2min with the first team, and after the confusion around the play that lost a lot of time, mario decided to just kill it and play for OT. i didn’t love it, but it seems perfectly justifiable to me.

Advertisement
You guys are pussys. The reason why is had we actually lost in OT, you would be ****posting your misery about how it was the incorrect decision and we played not to lose, not playing to win, etc. Hindsight bias.
We had 87 seconds, which is almost a minute and a half, and a timeout to just get into FG range. Emory had started to come alive in the 2nd half and had already made good downfield throws to Colbie and a few other clutch throws. They should have absolutely tried at least once. The whole confused time wasting thing and then multiple runs up the middle I think is what frustrated people. The irony is that Mario would rather kneel while losing or in a tie than while actually winning lol.

At least we got the W. Glad it worked out and glad the defense held. Everyone needed this win.

6. Miami was the better team.

Better to put us in a controlled overtime scenario where the better team is likely to win vs putting us in a situation where any fluke thing can happen in the last minute. If we would have tried to get to field goal position and we go 3-and-out, then Clemson still had enough time to go down and kick a field goal for the fluke win. I said during the game that the coaches made the right decision while y'all were blasting Cristobal, and it turned out the right way. And believe me I'm no slurper, but it was the right decision in the moment and it was the right decision in hindsight.
Slurpers gone slurp

1. Hind sight is 20/20 it worked.
2. Freshman Qb. No 2 min drill. Lots of risks.
3. Borregales vs. Clemson kicker is night and day.
4. Clemson D line was gassed.
5. OT. has no clock. Can run at will. No way were we making it down the field without running. Wasn’t doable with the little time left.

Good call Mario.
You play to win the game. That was playing to not lose. Stop using hindsight to justify that bull****.

1. Hind sight is 20/20 it worked.
2. Freshman Qb. No 2 min drill. Lots of risks.
3. Borregales vs. Clemson kicker is night and day.
4. Clemson D line was gassed.
5. OT. has no clock. Can run at will. No way were we making it down the field without running. Wasn’t doable with the little time left.

Good call Mario.
But we had enough time if we didnt do the long huddle and move so slow on the previous plays. We only needed 20 yds or possibly less to get in range for Borregales to try, and we still had a time out. I just didnt see any downside other than the extreme longshot of a scoop and score from a fumble or a pick six.

But ultimately it all worked out.

Advertisement
Back