Reasons last series rest on the ball was correct.

it wasn´t. williams was struggling to understand the play and get everyone lined up. it all happened literally in front of me and you can see him asking Dawson for clarification or help. he was lost.

Even with adjusting for that the time was still not an issue…So take off an extra 10-15 seconds and you are still ok…**** I don't care if you try to pop another run…You have to do it. Inexcusable, and frankly…Very scary.

Advertisement
You guys are pussys. The reason why is had we actually lost in OT, you would be ****posting your misery about how it was the incorrect decision and we played not to lose, not playing to win, etc. Hindsight bias.
We had 87 seconds, which is almost a minute and a half, and a timeout to just get into FG range. Emory had started to come alive in the 2nd half and had already made good downfield throws to Colbie and a few other clutch throws. They should have absolutely tried at least once. The whole confused time wasting thing and then multiple runs up the middle I think is what frustrated people. The irony is that Mario would rather kneel while losing or in a tie than while actually winning lol.

At least we got the W. Glad it worked out and glad the defense held. Everyone needed this win.
i think his main motivation was that he didn’t want to risk losing in embarrassing fashion at home again. Whether a pick, fumble, blocked field goal.

It wasn’t the right call, but I understand why he did it. Shorten the field, run it down their throat while shrinking the field for clemsons passing game

Nah. I'm with the 'Drop your nuts...' movement.

BIG BIG BIG pause!

Sigh. Read the quote:

“On Joe Rose this morning, he asked Mario specifically about that sequence. Mario said Don got hurt on the first play and was trying to decide whether to come out or stay in. The refs stopped the clock for a short period, Don went out and the refs started the clock right away. There was some confusion due to all of this and they finally got a play called and decided to just run the clock out and go to OT. He said the initial plan was to try and gain enough yards to allow Andy to kick a FG.”

Wanted to get Andy in range but there was confusion, which wasted time, which led to the decision to eat the timeout and pack it up. This is a clock management failure.

Stick to the what you know on the baseball board.

That's still not CLOCK management. Good lord. Instead of rushing things, which would have been necessary in that situation, they decided to go to OT. As I said. There was no mismanagement of the clock or timeouts. It was a conscious decision. And I gave it to Mario about GT as much as anyone, so I'm no apologist.

I'm glad to see that you concede to me on baseball, but now it looks like your football is on shaky ground as well.

Advertisement
Lol…So mention all those things in your first paragraph…And compare that to simply losing in overtime.

You are on the 42, time is not an issue, and you have a timeout…I'm usually incredibly cautious with this stuff, but the last thing you should be thinking is we gotta get to overtime.

It's flawed and dangerously stupid.

Under the same circumstances, I bet very few coaches would agree with you.

i think his main motivation was that he didn’t want to risk losing in embarrassing fashion at home again. Whether a pick, fumble, blocked field goal.

I could see this, unfortunately…And that should NEVER Factor in a decision. Just as bad a loss if you get beat in OT.

Last edited:
If Ajay Allen had fumbled with 20 seconds left and Clemson kicked a 50+ yard FG to win it, 100% of us would have demanded Mario be fired on the spot. The guy is a ticking time bomb. Get him some help. Dennis Smith doesn't look any smarter but maybe Mario should have a consigliere with him at all times to explain the situation because he seems to get caught up in the drama of what's happening the way a fan would.

Advertisement
If Ajay Allen had fumbled with 20 seconds left and Clemson kicked a 50+ yard FG to win it, 100% of us would have demanded Mario be fired on the spot. The guy is a ticking time bomb.

Doesn't factor in

Would that make running Chaney against GT any less stupid if no fumble? Or if GT does nothing when they get the ball and times run out?

No it was remarkably stupid against GT either way…Just like sitting on it from the 42 is remarkably stupid…no matter the result. Quite on the level of GT no…But only one notch below and still awful.

And this is coming from someone who's been called a Mario "slurper" (pause) on this site.

Last edited:
Doesn't factor in

Would that make running Chaney against GT any less stupid if no fumble? Or if GT does nothing when they get the ball and times run out?

No it was remarkably stupid against GT either way…Just like sitting on it from the 42 is remarkably stupid…no matter the result. Quite on the level of GT no…But only one notch below and still awful.

And this is coming from someone who's been called a Mario "slurper" (pause) on this site.
Yeah, you actually had to battle multiple 247 slurpers on this. I was rooting for you all the way.

1. Hind sight is 20/20 it worked.
2. Freshman Qb. No 2 min drill. Lots of risks.
3. Borregales vs. Clemson kicker is night and day.
4. Clemson D line was gassed.
5. OT. has no clock. Can run at will. No way were we making it down the field without running. Wasn’t doable with the little time left.

Good call Mario.
#1 is all that matters.

No way you put your defense on an OT island limiting your QB that way.

It worked out, so back to #1.

I get it if we are on our own 15. We weren’t. You give Borregales a 60 yard attempt with no time left and hope for the best. You don’t squat on the yards you need to get there in my opinion with an unproven QB.

It worked out, so I was “wrong”…but it ****ed me off to no end after the two weeks prior. I will take the beating from anyone who disagrees in hindsight, but we weren’t needing 35 yards.

Very proud of how they handled the situation, that will not change…but I would be going for the win after GT and UNC..and it felt as if Mario thought he couldn’t deal with stretching for the extra yardage and it went wrong. Very easy now to say…well of course not..look how it panned out.

I get it if we are on our own 15. We weren’t. You give Borregales a 60 yard attempt with no time left and hope for the best. You don’t squat on the yards you need to get there in my opinion with an unproven QB.

Right I had it in my head I'd like to get to the 37…But could live with the 40 for a 57-58 yarder.

**** even if you do move slowly…At least run a 3rd down play…Throw a deep ball down the sideline. And punt it with 15-17 seconds left if need be. That will give them the ball with around 8-10 seconds left. Anywhere between there 10 or worst case 25 even with our punt game. It's not like giving it to them with 30-40 secs left

Bad bad bad

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back