Reality of the scrimmage...

Advertisement
Then why not play him most of the time in the shotgun?

Saw a decent of play action fakes today. It was certainly a vanilla offense, but play action was there. U can’t do that too much when your out of the shot gun most snaps.

If Tate’s the guy (come after fall camp), he’s gonna have to take snaps under center and out of the gun. For that matter, so will the other 2, if either of them win the job.

Advertisement
I’m right on both points. What Tate did today would translate to a real game.

Butch Davis once said that he recruited Ken Dorsey out of high school because he never got sacked. That’s the mark of a decisive quarterback.

Tate had more yards, more yards per attempt, was sacked fewer times, and had the most success against the first team defense.

What he did translates the best to a situation when the bullets are flying. So yes, Tate had the best day of the three.

I agree...

the scrimmage "tap" sack rules works against a QB who relies on elusive mobility..

... in a real game, i don't think Tate gets sacked as much.

Advertisement
This.

Spicer was pathetic doing practice punts. I mean no rush, no snap and still punts it 30 yds out of bounds.

The new kid is expected to be the starter. That’s why we went Juco route. Baxa has a strong leg so I’m not sure why he wasn’t kicking it to the end zone. Maybe they were working on him hitting high short kicks we can cover in a regular game. He needs to get better at consistency on his FG.

Probably eliminates a good deal of our offense. Still, Martell might need his own package which means we'll have to adapt on offense when he's in. Brock Berlin was a QB who needed to stay in the shotgun to be successful.
Good points. And I do think, regardless who wins the starting job this summer, more than one QB will play. I could easily see Perry or Jarren being named #1 and Martell still having a shotgun "package" to show the D a different look and jump start a struggling offense, as needed.

Advertisement
I went there optimistic and was not totally disappointed. Our offense ran real vanilla plays (little or no motion the first 3 quarters) and the sacks were mostly not real sacks, especially Martell as all they had to do was touch the QB and it was a sack. I was hoping to see special teams but they simply let the kickers kick with only receivers on the field and no run backs or coverage, yet this was the most disturbing aspect of the scrimmage. Baxa flat out disappointed, I think only one kickoff reached the end zone and others the 5 or 10 yard line plus no height to his kicks, another scrub kicker did a kickoff and it did not get airborne (not on purpose). I pray Hendley is as advertised otherwise special teams will again disappoint, did I mention Baxa missed an extra point length field goal...pathetic and Spicer even worse.
Almost all our receivers dropped some easy passes but most made some great catches....it is like feast or famine with all of them including Osborn. Dee Jay is for real, what a stud running back, Realus George just a big warm body. The defense gave up too many long plays but they played a vanilla defense, the sacks came on 10 or more yardage plays. With so many players dinged and not playing I hope they improve what I saw today.
As I said I am optimistic and all 3 QB's had good aspects but none of the 3 stood out as special, maybe we should use all 3 like Spurrier used 2 at a time (kidding).
The weather was perfect unlike what it will be in August. I believe Coach said the team would be on the same side as the August game and that is a plus for fans, the west side was ours and will get shade, the east will swelter. Heck of a nice number of fans close to 1/3rd or half the stadium and no one left till the end.
Overall a great day to be a Miami Hurricane.
The Game is at 7Pm nobody will Swelter.

I’ll sum it up for everybody

The line of scrimmage will be lost. Doesn’t matter how many Jeff Thomas’s or Manny(Jimmy Johnson) Diaz’s we have. Dumb retards, but here’s to wishing the secret is real.

Advertisement
Baxa kicked a 63 yd Field Goal between the halves. No band playing, no lights on, no pressure on him and all that... but good Lord he hit it with room to spare. Needs to get the right side of the hash figured out. He kicked off his first kick out of the end zone, all the others were in the field of play. Hard to say if that was by design (maybe to give the two return guys some practice?), but I'd rather the joker just kick the ball out of the end zone if he has the leg to, and it seems he does.

I agree, the kickoffs were by design high kicks intended to fall short of the goal line. This missed short FG was bad, but Baxa was fine. Hopefully we just kick it out of the end zone at least 50% of the time, but every kickoff won’t be out the back of the end zone, and there’s no point practicing that in a scrimmage. Baxa was/is fine.

The punting on the other hand... Good Lord, Henley better be The Truth.

Advertisement
Back