Reality of the scrimmage...

fraggle

Senile Senior
I went there optimistic and was not totally disappointed. Our offense ran real vanilla plays (little or no motion the first 3 quarters) and the sacks were mostly not real sacks, especially Martell as all they had to do was touch the QB and it was a sack. I was hoping to see special teams but they simply let the kickers kick with only receivers on the field and no run backs or coverage, yet this was the most disturbing aspect of the scrimmage. Baxa flat out disappointed, I think only one kickoff reached the end zone and others the 5 or 10 yard line plus no height to his kicks, another scrub kicker did a kickoff and it did not get airborne (not on purpose). I pray Hendley is as advertised otherwise special teams will again disappoint, did I mention Baxa missed an extra point length field goal...pathetic and Spicer even worse.
Almost all our receivers dropped some easy passes but most made some great catches....it is like feast or famine with all of them including Osborn. Dee Jay is for real, what a stud running back, Realus George just a big warm body. The defense gave up too many long plays but they played a vanilla defense, the sacks came on 10 or more yardage plays. With so many players dinged and not playing I hope they improve what I saw today.
As I said I am optimistic and all 3 QB's had good aspects but none of the 3 stood out as special, maybe we should use all 3 like Spurrier used 2 at a time (kidding).
The weather was perfect unlike what it will be in August. I believe Coach said the team would be on the same side as the August game and that is a plus for fans, the west side was ours and will get shade, the east will swelter. Heck of a nice number of fans close to 1/3rd or half the stadium and no one left till the end.
Overall a great day to be a Miami Hurricane.

Advertisement
Love hearing “STOUT “ about our D , that says it all .

This front seven has an attitude about them like frankly they really don’t give a HOOT we’re just plainly FOUL up front.

I LIKE THIS KINDA PARTY ATTITUDE 🙌🙌

GOCANES

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Scrimmages are made for message board banter. Lulz at anyone taking much away from that other than a beautiful day to watch the Canes and hang out.

But I'll play:

- Sack in the endzone was bad football.
- Throw out of the endzone to avoid third down sack is good football.
- Simultaneous comment in another thread about Perry looking great followed immediately by as long as it is his first read is scary football.

I went there optimistic and was not totally disappointed. Our offense ran real vanilla plays (little or no motion the first 3 quarters) and the sacks were mostly not real sacks, especially Martell as all they had to do was touch the QB and it was a sack. I was hoping to see special teams but they simply let the kickers kick with only receivers on the field and no run backs or coverage, yet this was the most disturbing aspect of the scrimmage. Baxa flat out disappointed, I think only one kickoff reached the end zone and others the 5 or 10 yard line plus no height to his kicks, another scrub kicker did a kickoff and it did not get airborne (not on purpose). I pray Hendley is as advertised otherwise special teams will again disappoint, did I mention Baxa missed an extra point length field goal...pathetic and Spicer even worse.
Almost all our receivers dropped some easy passes but most made some great catches....it is like feast or famine with all of them including Osborn. Dee Jay is for real, what a stud running back, Realus George just a big warm body. The defense gave up too many long plays but they played a vanilla defense, the sacks came on 10 or more yardage plays. With so many players dinged and not playing I hope they improve what I saw today.
As I said I am optimistic and all 3 QB's had good aspects but none of the 3 stood out as special, maybe we should use all 3 like Spurrier used 2 at a time (kidding).
The weather was perfect unlike what it will be in August. I believe Coach said the team would be on the same side as the August game and that is a plus for fans, the west side was ours and will get shade, the east will swelter. Heck of a nice number of fans close to 1/3rd or half the stadium and no one left till the end.
Overall a great day to be a Miami Hurricane.
To your point about the receivers, remember Jeff Thomas and Hightower were out. That said, that Jeremiah Payton is legit one of our top 3 receivers right now.

Baxa kicked a 63 yd Field Goal between the halves. No band playing, no lights on, no pressure on him and all that... but good Lord he hit it with room to spare. Needs to get the right side of the hash figured out. He kicked off his first kick out of the end zone, all the others were in the field of play. Hard to say if that was by design (maybe to give the two return guys some practice?), but I'd rather the joker just kick the ball out of the end zone if he has the leg to, and it seems he does.

Advertisement
Wrong on your first point, Right on your second point.

I’m right on both points. What Tate did today would translate to a real game.

Butch Davis once said that he recruited Ken Dorsey out of high school because he never got sacked. That’s the mark of a decisive quarterback.

Tate had more yards, more yards per attempt, was sacked fewer times, and had the most success against the first team defense.

What he did translates the best to a situation when the bullets are flying. So yes, Tate had the best day of the three.

It will be a night game...
Good because my grand nephew is an ex-Gator player and got 4 tickets, 3 gator and 1 Cane (me)....We had better win. His Grandfather and Father root for the Canes except August 24th so they won't mind me gloating.

I’m right on both points. What Tate did today would translate to a real game.

Butch Davis once said that he recruited Ken Dorsey out of high school because he never got sacked. That’s the mark of a decisive quarterback.

Tate had more yards, more yards per attempt, was sacked fewer times, and had the most success against the first team defense.

What he did translates the best to a situation when the bullets are flying. So yes, Tate had the best day of the three.
Tate's passing stats were kind of hollow. That 80 yard TD was like a 15 yd completion and Osborn did the rest of the work. Most of his passes were dink and dunk.

[QUOTE="fraggle, post:]
The weather was perfect unlike what it will be in August. I believe Coach said the team would be on the same side as the August game and that is a plus for fans, the west side was ours and will get shade, the east will swelter.
[/QUOTE]
The game starts at 7pm. Maybe the lights will be hotter on their side and punish them mercilessly?

Advertisement
Back