Reality has finally sunk in.......

• Thread starter Deleted member 1823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1823

I have been a fan since 1983 and have always felt that the U can be a dominate program if they have the right coaching staff in place. As I watched Duke beat UNC last night, I thought about how bad the Coastal has been the last 10+ years and how we have NEVER won it. It is mind boggling for sure but it made we wonder if the the landscape of college football recruiting has changed so much that we may never be able to get back to being a top 10 team every year. I will always love the U but I am worried that our glory days are permanently behind us. I hope coach Richt is able to right the ship in the next 2-3 years but I am starting to think that it might be an impossible task. Maybe I am just being an impatient wussy.....at least they fixed our uniforms!

Advertisement
Yes you are right. We will suck forever.

No other major program went through this. We are the only ones.

There's only a handful of teams that fit you top 10 teams a year. Most of them even have down years.

I don't believe we'll ever become a perennial contender again, but every handful of years I expect a shot at it all. That's a tall task for any school, but one can hope.

I said about a decade ago thaf our school was more suited to be a basketball power, but we don't have the tradition. Coach L is doing well, but if I was dumping money into athletics, I'd consider dropping a huge chunk of money on a very big name once he moves on. We've got all the makings of a one and done powerhouse.

I agree that most programs have had some bad years but has Bama, OSU, FSU, etc. had 12 crappy and I mean crappy years in a row in the modern era?

There's some truth to what you say I believe. Miami changed college football during the glory years. We introduced speed over bulk. We also had A major advantage with so much talent in our own back yard. Also the SEC including Bama was relatively down during that Era compared to today. Basically it was us,ND, FSU, and the rest. Ok. and Neb were in the discussion but we basically owned them. There are a lot of good teams now and all of them want speed and they know that South Fl. Is where you can find it. I think we will be a consistent top fifteen team and do something special from time to time. Miami fans need to grow up and show up and be content with a team that will be solid for years under a quality staff that isn't just trying to build a resume but should be here for a long time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miami is always going to get everybody's best game just because we're the U and everyone wants to beat the U. So until we realize this as a team and embrace it, we won't win the coastal. We've got to be good enough and prepared to play good football every game of the season and it's just been too long since Miami has put a good offense, defense, and ST game all together in ACC play

The last time that comes to mind is 2014 VT when we dominated them

We can be contenders again, but it will take 2 to 3 more years to have consistent really good recruiting classes and depth. I look at Clemson an their slow climb to being recognized as a top team. It took Dabo a few years to bring Clemson back to prominence. He didn't do it his first year and when they got to a major bowl they got blown out in Miami. The thing that Dabo learned is that you have to make changes in your staff to make things better. Rather through him making the changes or staff member getting another job, he tweeked his staff. Just because you are head coach doesn't mean you have to be a coordinator. You have realize when time has passed you by. The best thing he can do to give this team a boost on offense and recruiting is to hire a, as I put it, hot shot pro spread set OC.

Advertisement
I agree that most programs have had some bad years but has Bama, OSU, FSU, etc. had 12 crappy and I mean crappy years in a row in the modern era?

Alabama had a run from the mid 90's until Saban got hired where they wished they were as good as Miami is now. Multiple four win seasons, NCAA sanctions and some real bums for coaches. If a traditional football power, with unlimited resources can suck for a decade it's plausible to believe anyone can.

We had pathetic coaching for the last 10 years. Beamer, Fedora, Cutcliff, heck even Paul Johnson are better coaches then we have had since joining the ACC. You cannot win on talent alone. Now that we have a Grade A coach we will win the Coastal.

Not trying to be a **** but if you didn't realize how ****** the Coastal was until last night I gotta wonder about where your head is at.

College Football is fickle and cyclical. Michigan State won 13, 11 and 12 games the past three years and are now 2-7. Oregon was in the National Championship Game less than 2 years ago and will probably be looking for a new coach at the end of the month.

Now flip it around. Alabama was mediocre to average for much of the 90s and 2000s (save for one Orange Bowl appearance) before Saban got there. Clemson wanted to run off Dabo after going 6-7 his third year there, but he's won 10+ games every year since. Washington hasn't won 10 games since 2000 and they may very well be in the playoff this year - They went 7-6 last year FYI.

My point is, it's extremely difficult to sustain consistency.

Advertisement
The Coastal, along with the entire ACC, is perhaps the most competitive P5 conference from top to bottom.

Just this year you had NC State take Clemson to OT on a missed FG.
UVA came within a few seconds of beating L'ville.
You just never know.

Miami is always going to get everybody's best game just because we're the U and everyone wants to beat the U. So until we realize this as a team and embrace it, we won't win the coastal. We've got to be good enough and prepared to play good football every game of the season and it's just been too long since Miami has put a good offense, defense, and ST game all together in ACC play

Nobody is playing their best game because it's Miami. Those days have passed. Plenty of teams have played half asz games against Miami and still won. Every team on the schedule knows this and sees this program for what it currently is.

Advertisement
I have been a fan since 1983 and have always felt that the U can be a dominate program if they have the right coaching staff in place. As I watched Duke beat UNC last night, I thought about how bad the Coastal has been the last 10+ years and how we have NEVER won it. It is mind boggling for sure but it made we wonder if the the landscape of college football recruiting has changed so much that we may never be able to get back to being a top 10 team every year. I will always love the U but I am worried that our glory days are permanently behind us. I hope coach Richt is able to right the ship in the next 2-3 years but I am starting to think that it might be an impossible task. Maybe I am just being an impatient wussy.....at least they fixed our uniforms!

I said this in the mid 90s too....hello 2001. Have hope. Miami will always be a destination for bad asses and with that comes wins.

Nobody is playing their best game because it's Miami. Those days have passed. Plenty of teams have played half asz games against Miami and still won. Every team on the schedule knows this and sees this program for what it currently is.

Disagree. It's still Miami and everyone wants to beat Miami. I know a few guys on VT and UNC that still say Miami is the biggest game on their schedule year in and year out. No matter how bad we are it's going to be the same. It's probably even more so now because they enjoy beating Miami and knowing they can beat us.

We got VT best game of the year, we got UNCs best half of the year, we got NDs best game of the year.

Op right, let's just kill ourselves knowing well never be back... Na were winning our division next year! Heard it here first

One - The glory days will probably be unmatched by ANYONE. Yes Bama has been dominant but we had future HOF's on the second and third team (although they were usually Frosh and Soph at the time). For those of us old enough to have watched these teams in person - hard to describe. Two - zero doubt in my mind we can get back to a playoff team. What has been missing has been the ability to win on the OL and DL - we have taken major strides on the DL. Yes - we have give up too many points however between injuries and a group of young promising LBs who are getting tired as we get deeper into the season - the future on that side of the ball looks bright

The OL is the worry. I know everyone already knows this but when you run the ball on first and ten and multiple players from the other team are in your backfield multiple times a game .... well hard to win. IN fact you end up losing 3 games by 11 points

We still have enough talent in our backyard + the stadium revamp is a huge improvement - we can get into the top 10 again and if you can get into the top 10 you are one play away from getting into the playoff

Go canes

Advertisement
Back