Realistic Hiring Targets For A P5 School: A 5 Year Look

Advertisement
No, he’s not above the position but it would require a HC to bring him on whom feels comfortable running what offense Kenny would want to run.

He’s never been an OC before. Not saying he can’t do it but you’re ok with him being broken in here?
**** yes... Has coached NFL qb's during their best years.. multiple..... I think he was the OC back when he was our QB.. wouldn't doubt he called the plays....
Buffalo's passing game coordinator... no doubt... Unless he sees this OL and realizes it has no shot...

It’s a bye week and I’ve got time. I took a look at hiring over the last 5 years because I’ve been reading several posts and threads about HC targets for us after Manny is finally fired. I have found it interesting to see the strong opinions around who should be considered and who shouldn’t. Specifically, I’m intrigued by the people who say “we can do better,” especially in relation to candidates like Mario, Clawson, or Stoops (full disclosure: I’m for Mario). The truth is, we likely can’t do much better and it is highly likely that we we will not be able to hire another active P5 HC.

Since 2017, a total of 50 P5 head coaching jobs have become available. I could only find 5 times where an active P5 HC had been hired away from their school: Mel Tucker (‘20), Mike Leach (‘20), Dan Mullen (‘18), Willie Taggert (‘18), and Jimbo (‘18). The majority of P5 schools hire a G5 coach (18 times) or a P5 coordinator (15 times: 9 DC and 6 OC). In fact, there have been more position coaches (6) hired as a HC than a current P5 coaches. Fired head coaches that were not coordinators are another 5. There was one FCS coach hired as well.

Most likely, we will go with a G5 coach or a P5 coordinator. We would have to be an outlier to take a P5 head coach. I know you are sitting there with your turnover chain shirt thinking to yourself “yeah, but this is The U! We have south beach, bro. And no state income tax. And so much talent. It’s a top 12 job according to a bunch of random people in a magazine article!” Other big programs have gone this route, including: Auburn, Tennessee (x2), Texas (x2), and FSU. I chuckle when posters **** on P5 coaches as not being good enough because we likely won’t get one. The “we can do better” moniker is not true. If Mario or any other P5 coach were to come, we would be only the 6th program in 6 years to get a P5 HC. We would be lucky to have them.

I have grown to accept that our next coach will likely be a Napier type coach unless we take a chance on a fired guy like Herman. If we get a P5 coach, it will more likely be someone like Clawson from a smaller school. The only coach that’s taken a lateral job is Jimbo, and we aren’t paying A&M money to do that. Based on the numbers, it will probably come from a group of Mario, BOB, Herman, Malzahn and whoever the best g5 coaches are not named Fickell
Good chit, my guy.

Advertisement
Was reading an article about Napier from before the started and it touched on why he's being patient waiting for the right opportunity to come along. This part stuck out to me:

"There's an anticipation that he'll leave when the right job comes along -- one with a track record of winning, a commitment to football and a clear alignment from the school president to the athletic director."

Mark us off; my guess would be if Orgeron is let go, Napier already being out there would be their first call.

Advertisement
Dorsey isn’t leaving he nfl where he’ll get an oc job to be an oc in college and have to recruit, he’s an nfl guy all the way

**** yes... Has coached NFL qb's during their best years.. multiple..... I think he was the OC back when he was our QB.. wouldn't doubt he called the plays....
Buffalo's passing game coordinator... no doubt... Unless he sees this OL and realizes it has no shot...
KD was given the Green Light to audible whenever he felt the need here...

Advertisement
Dorsey isn’t leaving he nfl where he’ll get an oc job to be an oc in college and have to recruit, he’s an nfl guy all the way
He's 40 years old and has been a QB Coach for 8 years.

At what point is he going to get that promotion?

He's a dog and recruits like a monster.....knows u need a QB and have a modern day offense. I would take my chance with him and roll the dice. He was great at Houston I think that would be similar here.
Good points, I still like other names before him, I think is a little bit of a douchebag. Just a hunch though, maybe it’s exactly what Miami needs: a total psychopathic jerk lol.

Advertisement
yea yea true true lol im exaggerating, Diaz is better than Dorito. I think it seems they both learned at the boys club, they should coach HS like Adam Gase does.
Why do you say Lispy is better than Dorito? I think Lispy is certainly the worst HC in P5 and might be the worst coach ever to run a major program.

What makes Herman a good candidate in your opinion?

Every candidate has negatives. Some are too expensive, some are too inexperienced, some have severe character questions, some wouldn't come out of retirement, some have a habit of losing games they shouldn't. The big knock in Herman is he couldn't win at Texas. I think that is weighted far too heavily in the negative column. As I said before, Texas is weird, they should have a half dozen titles in the last few decades yet they have only one. Something more than coaching acumen is responsible for their struggles. On the plus side, he's a Meyer disciple, a great offensive mind, Texas would foot a large percentage of his salary for a couple years, he's a good recruiter, and he's proven he can win at least at one level (granted it's G5). Most importantly, he's available and wouldnt cost millions to buyout, which is money that could go to a staff. In a way we are lucky he wasn't successful at Texas as I don't think we'd be able to afford a coach of his caliber otherwise.

Advertisement
Back