Realistic Hiring Targets For A P5 School: A 5 Year Look

It’s possible he has already weighed in & I missed it but would like @SouthParkCane insight into Herman.
I didn’t go too in depth but yeah I already touched on it. I think Herman could coach Miami very well but with the way Miami is he could never survive as far as the politics from every angle. He was a **** to Texas high school coaches and most of them aren’t handlers. Imagine what he would be like dealing with south Florida? He burned all bridges in Texas and needed a super budget to survive

Advertisement
Every candidate has negatives. Some are too expensive, some are too inexperienced, some have severe character questions, some wouldn't come out of retirement, some have a habit of losing games they shouldn't. The big knock in Herman is he couldn't win at Texas. I think that is weighted far too heavily in the negative column. As I said before, Texas is weird, they should have a half dozen titles in the last few decades yet they have only one. Something more than coaching acumen is responsible for their struggles. On the plus side, he's a Meyer disciple, a great offensive mind, Texas would foot a large percentage of his salary for a couple years, he's a good recruiter, and he's proven he can win at least at one level (granted it's G5). Most importantly, he's available and wouldnt cost millions to buyout, which is money that could go to a staff. In a way we are lucky he wasn't successful at Texas as I don't think we'd be able to afford a coach of his caliber otherwise.
My concern about Herman is how Texas regressed after beating UGA soundly in the Sugar Bowl. I’ve read, FWIW, he lost his locker room at the end and his arrogance alienated a lot of Texas HS school coaches.

Regarding Texas, they suffered from bad hires. Fred Akers, David McWilliams, John Mackovic were all average at best. Mack Brown won a lot, but couldn’t get past Stoops and OU a lot of seasons. He was fortunate to recruit a generational talent like Vince Young for a few seasons. Mack would lose that one or two other games a seaon, or a bowl game.

My concern about Herman is how Texas regressed after beating UGA soundly in the Sugar Bowl. I’ve read, FWIW, he lost his locker room at the end and his arrogance alienated a lot of Texas HS school coaches.

Regarding Texas, they suffered from bad hires. Fred Akers, David McWilliams, John Mackovic were all average at best. Mack Brown won a lot, but couldn’t get past Stoops and OU a lot of seasons. He was fortunate to recruit a generational talent like Vince Young for a few seasons. Mack would lose that one or two other games a seaon, or a bowl game.

It's a fair concern, but don't you think Nick Saban and Urban Meyer would be considered arrogant? It's a bad trait when it isn't backed up on the field. HS coaches in Texas also think of themselves like demi-gods, so some of the bad mouthing of Herman could be because he refused to cup their balls. Anyways, do you think Dan Mullen would have been a better coach than Randy Shannon or Al Golden? I sure do but the school passed on him twice because he was perceived as too arrogant. I don't put a lot of stock into that criticism. Id leave it up to Highsmith or another experienced exec to figure out if Herman is too arrogant or not.

**** yes... Has coached NFL qb's during their best years.. multiple..... I think he was the OC back when he was our QB.. wouldn't doubt he called the plays....
Buffalo's passing game coordinator... no doubt... Unless he sees this OL and realizes it has no shot...
I'll take Ken Dorsey.

Advertisement
It's a fair concern, but don't you think Nick Saban and Urban Meyer would be considered arrogant? It's a bad trait when it isn't backed up on the field. HS coaches in Texas also think of themselves like demi-gods, so some of the bad mouthing of Herman could be because he refused to cup their balls. Anyways, do you think Dan Mullen would have been a better coach than Randy Shannon or Al Golden? I sure do but the school passed on him twice because he was perceived as too arrogant. I don't put a lot of stock into that criticism. Id leave it up to Highsmith or another experienced exec to figure out if Herman is too arrogant or not.
There’s a difference in how arrogance is presented. One can come off ****y, thinking you’re the smartest guy in the room, condescending, and dismissive of others. Doesn’t play well with others. One can come off humble but confident, believing in yourself and what you’re doing. A leader. Which style Herman presents I wouldn’t personally know, I’m only repeating what I’ve read.

I know about his accomplishments in two years at Houston. I know he was OC for Meyer on OSU’s 2014 NC team. I know what he accomplished as OC at Iowa State. I can look up statistics. I’ve read his resume.

I would like to hear from his mouth why his situation at Texas didn’t work out. I would not want to hear how ‘Texas is weird’, a sob story about boosters, or how Texas HS coaches need their asses kissed.

I’m sure he failed to meet his own expectations. I would want to hear him genuinely self-reflect on those years at Texas and what he would do differently as HC at Miami.

Touchdown grills? A bit unsanitary but I'll bite. Get it, bite?

tom-herman-grill.jpg

/Everyone needs to get on the Herman train. Fly the banners

Advertisement
Advertisement
I live in Texas but wasn’t born in Texas. I don’t claim to understand all of Texas mindset as each person is their own. One thing I’d say though is that most Texans in the high school football world ((generalizing here after My prior disclaimer LOL) are big on old school respect and don’t like people who give off big time vibes. Urban is for sure arrogant, more so than saban, but both understand how to present to old school types.

I’d also add that the absence of results makes people less tolerant of any arrogance.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back