Realistic coaching candidates

Rick Pitino has some baggage, but the upside could be tremendous. I know there are a lot of people on here who don't like Pitino, but truth be told he's still one of the top coaches in college basketball and considering that Iona is paying him around $1mil per year, Miami could get him at a bargain price. I'm not sure how we pass this up. Risk reward ratio seems very favorable to me here. Just off of name recognition alone Pitino would bring in more talent than we're currently seeing.

Advertisement
As for some names in this thread:

1. Anthony Grant: IMO, he needs to win the conference and conference tourney first at Dayton. I want to see much more success at Dayton. He didn't do a great job in the SEC and the ACC is much harder. He also inherited a good program from Archie Miller at Dayton. He should be dominating an inferior conference before you go for him.

As of now, no thanks.

2. Steve Pikiell (53 YO): He did a nice job at Stony Brook. Won the conference. Rutgers is an utter trash program and has been trash for some time. They haven't finish the season with a winning record since ________. They haven't had a winning record in conference since ________. Rutgers hasn't made the NCAAT in ~30 years. If he can somehow make the NCAAT at Rutgers, I think that would be impressive.

As of now, maybe.

3. Kevin Willard (45 YO): Look at his last 4 years, before they cancelled the off-season last year, 4 straight NCAAT appearances. Then last year he was tied for first in the conference at 13-5. He would have made the NCAAT and possibly had a good chance at the conference. In 2015-16, they were the conference champions. His teams are constantly ranked too.

As of now, would definitely consider.

You left off Age of Anthony Grant; in case anyone wondering: it's 54. (I'm not sure all also realize that) he also is a Miami native... born and high school. Possibly worth a few bonus points in our "fans choice" thread.

49 or Under

Kevin Willard at Seton Hall

Seasons Coached (current program): 11
NCAAT Appearances: 4
Conference Champs: 1
Furthest Into NCAAT: Round of 32

Wes Miller at UNC Greensboro

Seasons Coached (current program): 10
NCAAT Appearances: 1
Conference Champs: 1
Furthest Into NCAAT: Round of 64

Random Notes: Played basketball at UNC

Rick Pitino has some baggage, but the upside could be tremendous. I know there are a lot of people on here who don't like Pitino, but truth be told he's still one of the top coaches in college basketball and considering that Iona is paying him around $1mil per year, Miami could get him at a bargain price. I'm not sure how we pass this up. Risk reward ratio seems very favorable to me here. Just off of name recognition alone Pitino would bring in more talent than we're currently seeing.

Rick also loves him some Miami, pretty sure he used to own a house here.

We'll almost certainly wind up on probation in 6 years, but I'd rather later vacate wins than lose.

You left off Age of Anthony Grant; in case anyone wondering: it's 54. (I'm not sure all also realize that) he also is a Miami native... born and high school. Possibly worth a few bonus points in our "fans choice" thread.

I reviewed him above.

I'd pass on him, as of today. If he can dominate and win the conference and make the NCAAT a few more times, then I'd consider him. He didn't do that good at Bama and the SEC is much easier.

Advertisement

Where was the "comedy" in my post?

As for some names in this thread:

1. Anthony Grant: IMO, he needs to win the conference and conference tourney first at Dayton. I want to see much more success at Dayton. He didn't do a great job in the SEC and the ACC is much harder. He also inherited a good program from Archie Miller at Dayton. He should be dominating an inferior conference before you go for him.

As of now, no thanks.

2. Steve Pikiell (53 YO): He did a nice job at Stony Brook. Won the conference. Rutgers is an utter trash program and has been trash for some time. They haven't finish the season with a winning record since ________. They haven't had a winning record in conference since ________. Rutgers hasn't made the NCAAT in ~30 years. If he can somehow make the NCAAT at Rutgers, I think that would be impressive.

As of now, maybe.

3. Kevin Willard (45 YO): Look at his last 4 years, before they cancelled the off-season last year, 4 straight NCAAT appearances. Then last year he was tied for first in the conference at 13-5. He would have made the NCAAT and possibly had a good chance at the conference. In 2015-16, they were the conference champions. His teams are constantly ranked too.

As of now, would definitely consider.
Anthony Grant was a consensus pick as the national coach of the year in 2020 and you're saying "no thanks". Are you kidding me?

Anthony Grant was a consensus pick as the national coach of the year in 2020 and you're saying "no thanks". Are you kidding me?

1. The prior HC had a lot more success at Dayton.

2. Grant did sub-par at Bama. The SEC is much easier than the ACC.

Again, 1 season doesn't erase everything else. Look at how he is doing this year.

I am not going to discuss this until the job is open, however, there are two guys Miami need not to consider.

Rick Pitino and Greg Marshall.

Marshall can go f ck himself, abusing people is never accaptable. I have no problem ignoring the NCAA's bull**** amateurism rules, but I'm not checking my morals at the door. As long as they don't do anything illegal/immoral, its fine.

Pitino I have no issues with, just win baby.

Advertisement
Rick also loves him some Miami, pretty sure he used to own a house here.

We'll almost certainly wind up on probation in 6 years, but I'd rather later vacate wins than lose.

South Florida is home to Pitino. He lives here in the off-season and when he wasn't coaching full time. I actually saw him playing in a few rec leagues on the beach a year or 2 ago.

1. The prior HC had a lot more success at Dayton.

2. Grant did sub-par at Bama. The SEC is much easier than the ACC.

Again, 1 season doesn't erase everything else. Look at how he is doing this year.
I'm not saying you're wrong for thinking Willard is a better choice over Grant, but to be dismissive of Grant because of his shortcomings in the SEC and turn a blind eye to Willard's subpar performance in the MAAC while at Iona is crazy. The MAAC is much easier than the SEC.

I'm not saying you're wrong for thinking Willard is a better choice over Grant, but to be dismissive of Grant because of his shortcomings in the SEC and turn a blind eye to Willard's subpar performance in the MAAC while at Iona is crazy.

1. Willard performing better in a more challenging conference is NOT the same thing at all. Willard was also in his low 30s at that time and that was 10+ years ago. He has done a great job at Seton Hall and there is no comparison between the competition there and the A10.

2. Grant went backwards. Grant went from a big conference to an inferior conference. He performed sub-par in the SEC. It is telling when someone performs sub-par against better competition. He then went to an established program where he had 1 great season. When hiring from an inferior conference, I want someone that dominate that conference. Grant has not dominated the A10. He had 1 great season. I am not dismissive of Grant, I would pass today. We can do better. Willard is better. There are other names that are better too.

3. Age. Someone who is younger is more likely to improve (e.g. Willard). Someone who is established and then does sub-par around 50 is not a good thing. So if Grant can actually consistently dominate the A10...I'd think he deserves more consideration.

Advertisement
Bob Richey (Furman) - Bit of an under the radar name but he's just 37 and has already won 40 games in the SoCon. Experience and the fact he hasn't made the tourney yet would be a concern but he's one of the best young coaches in the country.

He certainly is a name to watch. With that said, until he dominates that conference (e.g. wins conference champs) and makes the NCAAT, you pass.

This is the same thing for any coach, especially a young one, in a mid-major/sub-par conference.

1. They need to dominate the inferior competition. This means winning the conference and destroying the competition consistently.

2. Although certain programs have a ceiling, I want to see this coach make the NCAAT at an inferior school. Preferably more than once.

If a coach can't do the above, why bring him to a better program with much harder competition.

Last edited:
1. Willard performing better in a more challenging conference is NOT the same thing at all. Willard was also in his low 30s at that time and that was 10+ years ago. He has done a great job at Seton Hall and there is no comparison between the competition there and the A10.

2. Grant went backwards. Grant went from a big conference to an inferior conference. He performed sub-par in the SEC. It is telling when someone performs sub-par against better competition. He then went to an established program where he had 1 great season. When hiring from an inferior conference, I want someone that dominate that conference. Grant has not dominated the A10. He had 1 great season. I am not dismissive of Grant, I would pass today. We can do better. Willard is better. There are other names that are better too.

3. Age. Someone who is younger is more likely to improve (e.g. Willard). Someone who is established and then does sub-par around 50 is not a good thing. So if Grant can actually consistently dominate the A10...I'd think he deserves more consideration.
I kind of understand what you're saying but I don't know how winning National coach of the year in 2020, developing NBA talent and a national player of the year, and coaching a top 5 ranked program in the country is going backwards.

Oh and by the way, go tell Leonard Hamilton that coaches in their 50's can't continue to develop and get better.

I kind of understand what you're saying but I don't know how winning National coach of the year in 2020, developing NBA talent and a national player of the year, and coaching a top 5 ranked program in the country is going backwards.

Oh and by the way, go tell Leonard Hamilton that coaches in their 50's can't continue to develop and get better.

1. Backwards is going from the SEC to the A10. Power to mid-major.

2. I never said it was an absolute rule. It is just common knowledge that people tend to learn more when they’re younger. This was to point out how illogical it was to bring up Willard’s tenure at Iona. It was a very very very long ago. He then went to the BIG East and did much much much better and this was real competition.

3. Grant had one great season. Let’s see him dominate the conference consistently because he couldn’t do anything at Bama. You know against similar, yet inferior, competition.

Advertisement
1. Backwards is going from the SEC to the A10. Power to mid-major.

2. I never said it was an absolute rule. It is just common knowledge that people tend to learn more when they’re younger. This was to point out how illogical it was to bring up Willard’s tenure at Iona. It was a very very very long ago. He then went to the BIG East and did much much much better and this was real competition.

3. Grant had one great season. Let’s see him dominate the conference consistently because he couldn’t do anything at Bama. You know against similar, yet inferior, competition.

1. When Grant was at Alabama, they were considered a mid-major program playing in a high major conference. Kind of like what Miami is now. So technically, going from Bama basketball to Dayton isn't going backwards.

2. Willard is 9 years younger than Grant. You're talking like there's a 30 year age difference.

3. They both became HC's a year apart and Grant has a career winning pct of 65% while Willard sits at 56%. Who's dominating?

While I don’t disagree with you in theory in terms of his pure ability as a coach & recruiter, but the fact is Rick Pitino is radioactive in college Basketball & Miami as a program is not the type to make risky brash moves like that.

Blake James or whoever has the most influence over the BBall program at Miami would never hire a guy with Pitino’s baggage & it’s not like his LVille scandal was a long time ago, it was literally just in 2017, that’s just too close to the Sun for things to have cooled off surrounding him & the negative press that would accompany it.

Now if it were me, sure, for us as fans we typically don’t give AF about stuff like that lol, but to people like AD’s & those in charge of hiring coaches it’s a very big deal to them & Miami especially after just sliding by on the Adidas stuff just a few years ago is not apt to doing something controversial like hiring Pitino.

Last edited:
1. When Grant was at Alabama, they were considered a mid-major program playing in a high major conference. Kind of like what Miami is now. So technically, going from Bama basketball to Dayton isn't going backwards.

2. Willard is 9 years younger than Grant. You're talking like there's a 30 year age difference.

3. They both became HC's a year apart and Grant has a career winning pct of 65% while Willard sits at 56%. Who's dominating?

1. No. Just no. That wasn’t the point at all. Why not call it a promotion to be fired at a big conference and go to an inferior?

2. You don’t understand this point either. The point was in reference to you bringing up his tenure at Iona.

3. Is this a serious point? Why not include HS records too? One coached against the Big East and the other coached 7 seasons in the A10. How do you think Grant would do against the BIG East? Which conference, on average, sends more teams to the NCAAT?

Advertisement
Back