REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

National brand is important. That's what got Notre Dame all their money. If any private school could get there, it would be USC or Miami. Arguably both have been there in the past as well.

But it's not nearly as important as number of alumni blanketing a state.
Miami has the “city” thing going for it. Same with USC.

Georgetown was the brand in basketball in the 80s.

Advertisement
After the 2001 NC, here in the DC-NoVA-MD area, I saw UM merch not only for sale but on kids' backs. Of course, that wasn't sustainable with the mediocrity that has dogged us since.

Spot on according to a retrospective in the Jacksonville paper a few years ago.

SEC was determined to add two teams.

Texas and Texas A&M couldn't leave the Southwest Conference (RIP) due to Lone Star State politics

Arkansas was glad to get away from all those Texas schools and took the 11th spot.

Florida State had the 12th spot locked up, but the ACC did a much better job of making FSU's decision-makers feel wanted and Bobby Bowden saw an easier path to success than in the SEC.

Sam Jankovich was worried how Miami would fit in the SEC as a smallish private school and thought the Big East was more suitable as many UM students came from the Northeast.

So South Carolina ended up with the last spot.
Dave Maggard was AD at miami in '91..

Not sure how accurate this data is but I found this link with tv ratings for the 2020-2021 season. It's hard to compare apples to apples but I feel like our numbers are pretty competitive given our schedule. The SEC has a lot of big games because they have a lot of good (high ranking) matchups. When we have a good matchup our numbers are fairly comparable to big SEC regular season games. To be honest our regular games do well as well. The talking heads can bs all they want but if this thing is purely about $ we should be able to be with the cool kids.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/748033/college-football-tv-ratings/

Not sure how accurate this data is but I found this link with tv ratings for the 2020-2021 season. It's hard to compare apples to apples but I feel like our numbers are pretty competitive given our schedule. The SEC has a lot of big games because they have a lot of good (high ranking) matchups. When we have a good matchup our numbers are fairly comparable to big SEC regular season games. To be honest our regular games do well as well. The talking heads can bs all they want but if this thing is purely about $ we should be able to be with the cool kids.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/748033/college-football-tv-ratings/
This is the siren anyone representing UM needs to sound in every single conversation, press conference or interview regarding realignment. Miami is a high value school across the board, and is well positioned to be competitive for the next 10 years+.

All these idiots care about are eyeballs. Love them or hate them Miami catches eyeballs, whether they’re good, bad, or mediocre.

Advertisement
Blake James is in love with the ACC.

Opposite to that…here’s what FSU’s president had to say the other day.

I just want us to be prepared. My point to (FSU director of athletics) David Coburn and to (new ACC commissioner) Jim Phillips is I don't want Florida State to be left behind. I consider us as part of the ACC, but I also know that we have a marquee name, Clemson has a marquee name. I think there might be people coming after us, I don't know, but we've got to be prepared no matter what the options are."

SMH.

They gone?

Even months before title number 5, I saw Gator and Nole coolers at a nearby drugstore within a mile of campus. Not a U to be seen.
lucious lyon wtf GIF

Blake James is in love with the ACC.

Opposite to that…here’s what FSU’s president had to say the other day.

I just want us to be prepared. My point to (FSU director of athletics) David Coburn and to (new ACC commissioner) Jim Phillips is I don't want Florida State to be left behind. I consider us as part of the ACC, but I also know that we have a marquee name, Clemson has a marquee name. I think there might be people coming after us, I don't know, but we've got to be prepared no matter what the options are."

SMH.

They gone?
Nowhere to go

Advertisement
This is the siren anyone representing UM needs to sound in every single conversation, press conference or interview regarding realignment. Miami is a high value school across the board, and is well positioned to be competitive for the next 10 years+.

All these idiots care about are eyeballs. Love them or hate them Miami catches eyeballs, whether they’re good, bad, or mediocre.
I believe the U brand is very strong. Even in the rinky dink *** town I live in in upper NETN, the brand is not only recognizable, but respected. Anywhere I travel with my U gear on, people recognize it and acknowledge it often. This recognition and respect can not and will not be ignored.

I believe the U brand is very strong. Even in the rinky dink *** town I live in in upper NETN, the brand is not only recognizable, but respected. Anywhere I travel with my U gear on, people recognize it and acknowledge it often. This recognition and respect can not and will not be ignored.
My brother is a truck driver everywhere he goes he rocks cane gear in the north east. He gets something all the time....they say yo the U was the shut in 80s comments. He gets random I'd thrown up at him. It's still pretty big

My brother is a truck driver everywhere he goes he rocks cane gear in the north east. He gets something all the time....they say yo the U was the shut in 80s comments. He gets random I'd thrown up at him. It's still pretty big
I’ve been pleasantly surprised D. In a town of about 40k, I’ve met at least 15-20 U fans. And what’s even more encouraging is about half are in their 20’s - and I’m smack dab in the middle of UTK and VT country.

Advertisement
I’ve been pleasantly surprised D. In a town of about 40k, I’ve met at least 15-20 U fans. And what’s even more encouraging is about half are in their 20’s - and I’m smack dab in the middle of UTK and VT country.
At Walmart in Secaucus I have seen so many dudes with Cane gear. I make sure I wear my mask don't want anyone saying yo u the video guy dwinstitles? **** would be hella weird but if they did I'll show love lol. But Everytime I go I see cane heads....also more lately alot of bama bs.

At Walmart in Secaucus I have seen so many dudes with Cane gear. I make sure I wear my mask don't want anyone saying yo u the video guy dwinstitles? **** would be hella weird but if they did I'll show love lol. But Everytime I go I see cane heads....also more lately alot of bama bs.
Except at an away game, I’ve NEVER been heckled while I’ve got my gear on.

I hope you guys are right. I take off my orange and green glasses and see a team that hasn't been in a national championship game in 20 years. Hasn't won a New Year's 6 bowl game since 2003 and has been 1-10 over their past 11 bowl games.

Still, the potential is there for a return to greatness with solid recruiting and coaching. Hopefully the Canes land on their feet at the end of all the coming upheaval.

Advertisement
I hope you guys are right. I take off my orange and green glasses and see a team that hasn't been in a national championship game in 20 years. Hasn't won a New Year's 6 bowl game since 2003 and has been 1-10 over their past 11 bowl games.

Still, the potential is there for a return to greatness with solid recruiting and coaching. Hopefully the Canes land on their feet at the end of all the coming upheaval.
The numbers are the numbers and you ended your assessment with hope/optimism. It's just funny though how many people will cite what you did and deem us as never coming back but then magically assess the likes of Michigan, Tennessee, etc with much more generous tones.

The numbers are the numbers and you ended your assessment with hope/optimism. It's just funny though how many people will cite what you did and deem us as never coming back but then magically assess the likes of Michigan, Tennessee, etc with much more generous tones.

Two different schools, with two different booster bases, and two completely different revenue streams, but how many national championships have we won since the puppy dogs won their last one? Even with all the bags they give out. Just a little something that kind of puts it in a little perspective. Yes we’ve had problems the last 15 years or so, most of it self-inflicted, but let’s not forget who we are and what we’ve done either.

Nothing makes me laugh more than other fans that claim Miami to be irrelevant, when their rooting interest has never done anything.
I'm not the least bit worried.
The Jor-ja stuff is especially rich because we're only a decade and some change away from their fans that were born right AFTER their last title being eligible to live in most retirement communities.

Advertisement
Back